Unidentified group with cannon in Massachusetts

chubachus

First Sergeant
group with cannon massachusetts.jpg

Possibly militiamen? Is the cannon even real?

Source.

Possibly militiamen? Is the cannon even real?
Hmmm. Looks like proto-reenactors perhaps? The cannon ain't real - at least the gun carriage.

The tube looks phony, too - a gun this size would easily weigh upwards of 1000 pounds - far too heavy for that spindly carriage to support!

A nice image. The cannon does look a bit funny, too long maybe. The carriage does look a bit odd. No sponges or rammers or other artillery tools present. It looks like it is resting on the undercarriage of a wagon. One guy seems to be wearing a kilt, or an apron. I still like the image though.

A nice image. The cannon does look a bit funny, too long maybe. The carriage does look a bit odd. No sponges or rammers or other artillery tools present. It looks like it is resting on the undercarriage of a wagon. One guy seems to be wearing a kilt, or an apron. I still like the image though.
I think your 'kilt' is the jacket of a little boy standing in front of the man.

A Motley Crew for sure....Let's start a trivia contest: What are the 3 objects that 3 of the individuals in the photo are holding??? My guess: 1. Man on far left----don't know but NOT a ramrod. 2. Little boy---baseball bat. 3. Man second from right---fireman's trumpet. What's your guesses?!?

A Motley Crew for sure....Let's start a trivia contest: What are the 3 objects that 3 of the individuals in the photo are holding??? My guess: 1. Man on far left----don't know but NOT a ramrod. 2. Little boy---baseball bat. 3. Man second from right---fireman's trumpet. What's your guesses?!?
Man on left - big long stick; little boy - baseball bat; 2nd from right - telescope

Your guess is as good as mine! Thanks for sharing.

Tube almost looks wooden to me, but looking at everything else, their hats, their cloths, the chair in the background, the terrain, I'd say this is from between late 1880's early 1890' too early 1900's. Oh and I'd say this was taken in the North West by the trees and terrain.

Centennial, maybe (1876?) The guy with the long pole looks like his hat is cocked up. That gun looks fake to me - like a hollow log. Would someone be adventurous enough to try to fire a blank charge out of a hollowed out log?

To my eye the tube seems to be wood. The wheels are not artillery carriage type, having vertical rather than canted spokes. The man on the right is, to my eye, holding a metal fireman's horn (a caller).

Back