Restricted "Understanding the Lost Cause Myth" by The Cynical Historian

No, not me; I´m not cynical enough for that cynical name. The newest video on the (IMHO really good) youtube-channel The Cynical Historian which is young historian Joseph Hall-Patton, currently a PhD student at the UNM. He is not a dedicated civil war historian but has a wider scope on American history which also is the main focus of his channel (though not exclusively). It is not a purely academic product but a youtube video, so rather very educational entertainment and should be taken as that while everybody is free to disagree with his work. There is of course some personal opinion and valuation in it and it doesn´t come around (though rather briefly) the late 20th and early 21st centuries but without really going into modern politics. On the video´s page there are numerous crosslinks to (his own) related videos that further cover the topic of that respective part (with timecodes), quotations usually have direct footnotes within the video itself and the bibliography is pinned up the comments.

And for the records, I have no personal links to the channel and no monetary or commercial interest in it, just an interesting ACW-related video by a great channel.

Last edited:
Back