Uncle Billy said the darndest things

In a letter to his wife during the Atlanta Campaign, Sherman wrote: "I begin to regard the death & mangling of a couple of thousand men as a small affair, a kind of morning dash."

Author Stephen Davis comments: "such crudeness may have been meant by Sherman as some perverse way of impressing his wife of his manliness. Yet one is hard pressed to find such an unflatteringly morbid statement made by any other officer on both sides during the war."
How would Stephen Davis really know what Sherman's thoughts were behind that quote?

Kevin Dally

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
How would Stephen Davis really know what Sherman's thoughts were behind that quote?

Kevin Dally
@Saruman failed to complete Davis's comment about the quote which puts it in a different context:
"The statement within the context of the letter paints a much different portrait. 'It is enough to make the whole world start at the awful amount of death and destruction that stalks abroad,' Sherman recalls, pointing out that 'each day is killed or wounded some valuable officers and men, the bullets coming from a concealed foe.' Sherman was no paragon of kindness, and he admits in this letter and several others that the deathly destruction of the campaign had 'hardened' him. But explaining Sherman's private thoughts on war as callously reflective of a sense of insecure masculinity is pure speculation at best."
The Civil War Monitor Book Reviews
https://www.civilwarmonitor.com/book-shelf/davis-a-long-and-bloody-task-2016

Edit- I mistakenly charged @Saruman with failing to complete Davis's quote. The quote I provided above is from Nick Sacco who reviewed Davis's book. My apologies to @Saruman

Last edited:
@Saruman failed to complete Davis's comment about the quote which puts it in a different context:
"The statement within the context of the letter paints a much different portrait. 'It is enough to make the whole world start at the awful amount of death and destruction that stalks abroad,' Sherman recalls, pointing out that 'each day is killed or wounded some valuable officers and men, the bullets coming from a concealed foe.' Sherman was no paragon of kindness, and he admits in this letter and several others that the deathly destruction of the campaign had 'hardened' him. But explaining Sherman's private thoughts on war as callously reflective of a sense of insecure masculinity is pure speculation at best."
The Civil War Monitor Book Reviews
https://www.civilwarmonitor.com/book-shelf/davis-a-long-and-bloody-task-2016
No I didn't. That's exactly what is written in Davis' book. You are quoting the reviewer, Nick Sacco.