Un-Dug Texas Star Rectangular Militia Belt Plate Cast In Fort Worth, Texas...

Hello, Gents!
I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd post something to get your opinions about an item I found in a women's jewelry case at the Round Rock Antique Mall in 2002. I was excited then when I purchased it for very little $, but after 17 years in a lock box, I figure it's time to get some feedback on it: relic or repro? I've posted some pics for your inspection. If you look closely, you can see what I believe is some of the original gilding on the front of the plate. Can't wait to read your comments! Thanks, pards!
FullSizeRender 1.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Welcome from the heart of Dixie. It's a post war plate I'm on the road but will post photos of originals when I get to the house.

That type of belt attachment is typically found on ca. 1880's and later buckles. This appears to be an original period (but NOT Civil War period) piece rather than a 1960's or later outright fake, but it's hard to say what organization or customer it may have been made for.

Welcome to the forums!

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

I agree with those who say post war, but it is still a great plate. Texas has used the Lone Star as its symbol since before the Republic and continues to use it today. One of my most treasured possessions is the Texas buckle given to me by a great friend who wore it as a deputy. To me it is as valuable having come from the 1960s as it would be from any other time in Texas history.

Hello, Gents!
I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd post something to get your opinions about an item I found in a women's jewelry case at the Round Rock Antique Mall in 2002. I was excited then when I purchased it for very little $, but after 17 years in a lock box, I figure it's time to get some feedback on it: relic or repro? I've posted some pics for your inspection. If you look closely, you can see what I believe is some of the original gilding on the front of the plate. Can't wait to read your comments! Thanks, pards!
View attachment 306780
View attachment 306782
Very nice buckle, unfortunately it is not a war date piece, it is a cast copy of what is called a panel plate. Panel plates were gilt die struck rolled brass plates that had a fairly long life. Panel plates first surfaced in the mid 1830s and were seen all the way until the early 1900s. This particular plate was copied from a panel plate first made, in 1850 most likely, for the Horstman company.

Back