Ulysses S. Grant with Cincinnati.

Robert Gray

Sergeant Major
These images shows Ulysses S. Grant at a moment of repose with his most impressive horse, Cincinnati. Grant derived his fame as an equestrian not just from his heroism on the battlefield but from his command of horses off the battlefield. Able to tame the wildest horses, Grant had a kinship with these animals all his life. He acquired Cincinnati in 1863, after the Union victory at Chattanooga, and never let anyone else ride him except for Abraham Lincoln. These photos demonstrate the mastery of horsemanship as a status symbol in the nineteenth century.

National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution
Library of Congress

05111.02.0430p1.jpg

8700076C_1.jpg

1s02872u.jpg

Apparently he was quite the thoroughbred

Found this quote and description from Captain Samual H. Beckwith (cypher operator) for the general:

“It was not, however, until the Wilderness Campaign, that ‘Cincinnati’ became filled with the martial spirit and frantic to participate in the turmoil of battle. In quietude this famous animal seemed gentle and spiritless, but the battle sounds stirred him with enthusiasm. No artist could paint the beauty of this horse in the midst of action, when the curb was required to hold him back.” {*}

and then there is this:

“After the war, Grant was offered the incredible sum of $10,000 [today $160,000.00] for Cincinnati, but would not be parted from his beloved mount. The pair remained together until old age dictated that it was time for Cincinnati to have a good rest, and he was sent to Admiral Daniel Ammen’s farm in Maryland, where he later died of old age.”
{*}

{*}
http://www.presidentialpetmuseum.com/ulysses-s-grants-cincinnati/

and - Cincinnati is on “find a grave”

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153980859/cincinnati

I have found it interesting that as good a horseman that Grant was MacKinlay Kantor opened his alternative history, If The South Had Won The Civil War, with Grant dying in an equestrian accident.

Looking at the photo, that horse had to be 17/18 hands high. A hand is 4 inches, measured from Withers to the ground. I’ve ridden biggy horses like that. They are a trip, and I’d rather ride one than a pony! Ponies are wicked given half a chance..

Back