Grant U.S. Grant-Related Sites, Have You Been?

Which of the following U.S. Grant-related sites have you visited?

• U.S. Grant Birthplace (Pt. Pleasant, OH)

• U.S. Grant Boyhood Home & Schoolhouse (Georgetown, OH)

• West Point Military Academy (West Point, NY)

• Jefferson Barracks (St. Louis, MO)

• U.S. Grant National Historic Site [White Haven] (St. Louis, MO)

• Hardscrabble Cabin [Grant's Farm] (St. Louis, MO)

• Detroit Home (Detroit, MI)

• Fort Vancouver National Historical Site (Vancouver, WA)

• Fort Humboldt State Historic Park (Eureka, CA)

• Galena Home (Galena, IL)

• City Point Cabin (Petersburg National Battlefield, VA)

• Church of the Seven Presidents (Long Branch, NJ)

• Site of former Manhattan Home (3 East 66th St. NY, NY)

• U.S. Grant Cottage Historic Site (Mt. McGregor, NY)

• General Grant National Memorial [Grant's Tomb] (Riverside Park, NYC, NY)

• U.S. Grant Memorial (Washington, DC)

Results are only viewable after voting.
There are many sites that have a connection to the life and career of U.S. Grant. A selection of these sites are included in this list (for the sake of brevity I did not include all of the battlefields, headquarters and monuments). Take the poll to indicate which of the sites you've been to. What was your favorite(s) and why?

Galena Trip 2008 011.jpg

There are many sites that have a connection to the life and career of U.S. Grant. A selection of these sites are included in this list (for the sake of brevity I did not include all of the battlefields, headquarters and monuments). Take the poll to indicate which of the sites you've been to. What was your favorite(s) and why?
Hands down, it would have to be Galena! One positive incident during our visit was accidently meeting and talking at some length with the owner of the modest house above that was Grant's prewar residence. (As opposed to the baleyhooed public "gift" house that's the current Illinois State Park where he actually spent relatively little time.) The small city seems appropriately proud of its connection with the General and President: Ulysses S. Grant's Galena, Ill. | Ulysses S. Grant (civilwartalk.com)

Grant Saatue.jpg

Mt. McGregor cottage. Visited a couple of times. A lot more personal then a stone monument.
I've railed here before about that d*mn place - since it's on the grounds of a state penitentiary it has very strict and ridiculously limited visitation dates and times. I vainly attempted to visit it during my last trip to the region in an October, but was informed it was (naturally) past Tourist Season and nobody could be allowed to simply wander around to even see it from the outside!

View attachment 384989

Hands down, it would have to be Galena! One positive incident during our visit was accidently meeting and talking at some length with the owner of the modest house above that was Grant's prewar residence. (As opposed to the baleyhooed public "gift" house that's the current Illinois State Park where he actually spent relatively little time.) The small city seems appropriately proud of its connection with the General and President: Ulysses S. Grant's Galena, Ill. | Ulysses S. Grant (civilwartalk.com)

View attachment 384991
Kinda sad this was first fall in 6-7 years didn't make a pilgrimage to Galena while leaves were changing, because of the virus.

I've railed here before about that d*mn place - since it's on the grounds of a state penitentiary it has very strict and ridiculously limited visitation dates and times. I vainly attempted to visit it during my last trip to the region in an October, but was informed it was (naturally) past Tourist Season and nobody could be allowed to simply wander around to even see it from the outside!
The prison has been shut down for 5-6 years now. Might want to contact member

GrantCottage1885

Kinda sad this was first fall in 6-7 years didn't make a pilgrimage to Galena while leaves were changing, because of the virus.
At least this year I was able to make it back to one of my favorite sites here in Texas that has its own remote Grant association, the town of Jefferson. The 1850's Excelsior House Hotel displays in its lobby several registers signed by famous former guests, including Presidents Grant and R. B. Hayes, and British lecturer, author, and poet Oscar Wilde!

View attachment 384989

View attachment 384991
My wife and I bought the Grant Pre-Civil war home in Galena, that your have pictured. We fully restored and furnished it with period and historic pieces, including books from his personal library. It's now a historic vacation rental.

IMG_7114.JPG

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_7117.JPG

My wife and I bought the Grant Pre-Civil war home in Galena, that your have pictured. We fully restored and furnished it with period and historic pieces, including books from his personal library. It's now a historic vacation rental.

View attachment 426131

View attachment 426132

View attachment 426133
I am especially glad to hear this! When I visited and met the then-owner of the house, he was having a lot of trouble trying to do a worthy restoration of what I believe is the most historic house in Galena. Here's a link to the portion of the thread I created briefly discussing the house:

At that time there seemed to be absolutely nothing denoting that it had been Grant's principal home and residence prior to the war and his subsequent fame. It would be nice, especially for the lovers of Grant among our members, if you would create your own thread in the Grant Forum describing your experiences restoring the home and your plans for it.

Welcome to the forums!

I am especially glad to hear this! When I visited and met the then-owner of the house, he was having a lot of trouble trying to do a worthy restoration of what I believe is the most historic house in Galena. Here's a link to the portion of the thread I created briefly discussing the house:

At that time there seemed to be absolutely nothing denoting that it had been Grant's principal home and residence prior to the war and his subsequent fame. It would be nice, especially for the lovers of Grant among our members, if you would create your own thread in the Grant Forum describing your experiences restoring the home and your plans for it.

Welcome to the forums!
Thank you sir, will try to figure out how to do that.

Thank you sir, will try to figure out how to do that.
It isn't difficult, especially since you're already a member here and obviously already know how to post attachments (photos). Just go to the homepage; look at the right-hand column of Featured Forums; scroll down to People & Personalities and find Grant; click on and open it; look to the right at the blue box labeled POST THREAD; click on the box and open it to the page and have fun! (Be sure to enter a title in the space provided.) Create the thread exactly as you have your post above.

Back