U.S. Grant-Related Sites, Have You Been?

Which of the following U.S. Grant-related sites have you visited?

• U.S. Grant Birthplace (Pt. Pleasant, OH)

• U.S. Grant Boyhood Home & Schoolhouse (Georgetown, OH)

• West Point Military Academy (West Point, NY)

• Jefferson Barracks (St. Louis, MO)

• U.S. Grant National Historic Site [White Haven] (St. Louis, MO)

• Hardscrabble Cabin [Grant's Farm] (St. Louis, MO)

• Detroit Home (Detroit, MI)

• Fort Vancouver National Historical Site (Vancouver, WA)

• Fort Humboldt State Historic Park (Eureka, CA)

• Galena Home (Galena, IL)

• City Point Cabin (Petersburg National Battlefield, VA)

• Church of the Seven Presidents (Long Branch, NJ)

• Site of former Manhattan Home (3 East 66th St. NY, NY)

• U.S. Grant Cottage Historic Site (Mt. McGregor, NY)

• General Grant National Memorial [Grant's Tomb] (Riverside Park, NYC, NY)

• U.S. Grant Memorial (Washington, DC)

Results are only viewable after voting.
There are many sites that have a connection to the life and career of U.S. Grant. A selection of these sites are included in this list (for the sake of brevity I did not include all of the battlefields, headquarters and monuments). Take the poll to indicate which of the sites you've been to. What was your favorite(s) and why?

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Galena Trip 2008 011.jpg

There are many sites that have a connection to the life and career of U.S. Grant. A selection of these sites are included in this list (for the sake of brevity I did not include all of the battlefields, headquarters and monuments). Take the poll to indicate which of the sites you've been to. What was your favorite(s) and why?
Hands down, it would have to be Galena! One positive incident during our visit was accidently meeting and talking at some length with the owner of the modest house above that was Grant's prewar residence. (As opposed to the baleyhooed public "gift" house that's the current Illinois State Park where he actually spent relatively little time.) The small city seems appropriately proud of its connection with the General and President: Ulysses S. Grant's Galena, Ill. | Ulysses S. Grant (civilwartalk.com)

Grant Saatue.jpg

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Mt. McGregor cottage. Visited a couple of times. A lot more personal then a stone monument.
I've railed here before about that d*mn place - since it's on the grounds of a state penitentiary it has very strict and ridiculously limited visitation dates and times. I vainly attempted to visit it during my last trip to the region in an October, but was informed it was (naturally) past Tourist Season and nobody could be allowed to simply wander around to even see it from the outside!

View attachment 384989

Hands down, it would have to be Galena! One positive incident during our visit was accidently meeting and talking at some length with the owner of the modest house above that was Grant's prewar residence. (As opposed to the baleyhooed public "gift" house that's the current Illinois State Park where he actually spent relatively little time.) The small city seems appropriately proud of its connection with the General and President: Ulysses S. Grant's Galena, Ill. | Ulysses S. Grant (civilwartalk.com)

View attachment 384991
Kinda sad this was first fall in 6-7 years didn't make a pilgrimage to Galena while leaves were changing, because of the virus.

I've railed here before about that d*mn place - since it's on the grounds of a state penitentiary it has very strict and ridiculously limited visitation dates and times. I vainly attempted to visit it during my last trip to the region in an October, but was informed it was (naturally) past Tourist Season and nobody could be allowed to simply wander around to even see it from the outside!
The prison has been shut down for 5-6 years now. Might want to contact member

GrantCottage1885

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Kinda sad this was first fall in 6-7 years didn't make a pilgrimage to Galena while leaves were changing, because of the virus.
At least this year I was able to make it back to one of my favorite sites here in Texas that has its own remote Grant association, the town of Jefferson. The 1850's Excelsior House Hotel displays in its lobby several registers signed by famous former guests, including Presidents Grant and R. B. Hayes, and British lecturer, author, and poet Oscar Wilde!