Grant U.S. Grant photo - rare image?

1546552276322.png

Came across this image on Pinterest, one I've not seen before. Here is some more info on the image:

General Ulysses S. Grant, Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles and President Andrew Johnson pose together on Aug. 31, 1866, in Auburn, New York, at the home of former Governor Enos Throop during Johnson’s disastrous “swing around the circle.” This photograph was donated to the Ulysses S. Grant Association by Doris C. Baker, great-great-great-niece of Governor Throop, and is believed to have never been previously published anywhere before appearing on that organization's web site. (Ulysses S. Grant Association)
20yr75CL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo. I have never seen it. Any story on how Gov Troop's ggg niece came into possession of it?

View attachment 216411

Came across this image on Pinterest, one I've not seen before. Here is some more info on the image:

General Ulysses S. Grant, Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles and President Andrew Johnson pose together on Aug. 31, 1866, in Auburn, New York, at the home of former Governor Enos Throop during Johnson’s disastrous “swing around the circle.” This photograph was donated to the Ulysses S. Grant Association by Doris C. Baker, great-great-great-niece of Governor Throop, and is believed to have never been previously published anywhere before appearing on that organization's web site. (Ulysses S. Grant Association)

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/on...and-review-of-the-armies.146306/#post-1822427

Great photo. I have never seen it. Any story on how Gov Troop's ggg niece came into possession of it?
No, all the information I have is what I've posted. Perhaps it was in Gov Troop's possession after it was taken and passed on through the family that way? Eventually, and thankfully, though it was donated so that it could be appreciated by a wider audience.

View attachment 216411

Love the picture, Deb. I've obviously never seen it before. By the time of that picture, Grant and Johnson were no longer pals.

Last edited:
Here is another image from the infamous "Swing Around the Circle [the Drain] Tour". Grant is obviously deftly hiding his choice of drink behind a fruit bowl :wink:. Grant hadn't even had time to add another star yet apparently. Gideon Welles is sitting at the table and somehow his doppleganger Father Neptune is photobombing near the camera. Do you recognize anyone else??
8e62bb26c81902abfc73cc529251d344.jpg

Here is another image from the infamous "Swing Around the Circle [the Drain] Tour". Grant is obviously deftly hiding his choice of drink behind a fruit bowl :wink:. Grant hadn't even had time to add another star yet apparently. Gideon Welles is sitting at the table and somehow his doppleganger Father Neptune is photobombing near the camera. Do you recognize anyone else??
View attachment 216440
I'd say this is another rare photo. As for recognizing the others, maybe you could give us a hint :sneaky:

Back