U.S.C.T. Units at Appomattox?

JeffBrooks

Sergeant Major
Were any U.S.C.T. units present at the surrender of Lee's army at Appomattox? I know a fair chunk of the Army of the James was there, but I don't recall ever hearing about U.S.C.T. troops being there and it seems like something that people would have mentioned.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Although some of the 25th Corps was left behind in Richmond, there is a division, I believe, that is present during the surrender.

During the fighting before the surrender, units of the 24th and 25th Corps prevented the CSA from continuing westward. Some Confederates described it as a "checkerboard."

Shoot an email to NPS staff at Appomattox, they have a lot of research on USCTs at Appomattox.

Yes, they were. At least part of the Second Division, XXV Corps, Army of the James was present on April 9, 1865. The reason I know is because I went through all 1188 reports on the Siege of Petersburg, tagging them for the dates and battles mentioned in each report. Here's the report of the newly minted Second Division commander starting on April 10. They were at Appomattox CH:

http://www.beyondthecrater.com/reso...-p1-app-249-r-h-jackson-2-xxv-aotj-apr-10-17/

Here's a report from one of the brigades of the division with direct comments on April 9 showing they were there:

http://www.beyondthecrater.com/reso...pp-254-u-doubleday-2-2-xxv-aotj-mar-27-apr-9/

"On the 8th a forced march of thirty miles was made. Moving before daylight of the 9th, a position was taken on the Lynchburg road, near Appomattox Court-House, up which the command moved at 7 a. m., at which time the artillery and cavalry skirmishers were warmly engaged. These last, with their supports, were speedily driven in and pressed in a panic-stricken mob along my line, through which they vainly tried to brake. The rebel infantry followed them so closely that Major-General Sheridan ordered me to stop them. Forming the Eighth and Forty-first U. S. Colored Troops in line, I advanced against the rebel line, which no sooner perceived us than it fell back in disorder, closely followed by my skirmishers, who drove it for half a mile. Soon after I rejoined General Foster’s division, which we found advancing on the enemy’s right, but negotiations for the surrender of the rebel forces having begun, no more fighting occurred. On the 10th I reported with my command to Bvt. Brigadier General R. H. Jackson, commanding this division, and on the 11th commenced the march to our present camp, near which we arrived on the 17th instant. "

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!