U.S. buckles

Duane Pringle

Sergeant
I have a question I know I've read that some confederate soldiers wore the U.S. buckle up side down during civil war. My question did they wear them only this way? Is it possible they wore them normal because that is all they had especially out here in Missouri. We have been digging in a confederate camp and have found alot of union general service buttons.

Have you found any CS buttons? I can't speak of camps in the Show Me State but I have dug many late war CS camps and found more yankee bullets that Confederate and a few yankee eagle buttons but you will always find a stray CS button.
There are a few photos of the upside down US plate and CS soldiers were known convert US to CS.
rare-dug-u-s-c-s-conversion-belt-buckle-civil-war_302326702246.jpg

00935213.jpg

There has only been 2 confederate buttons dug in this camp the rest are general service 5 eagle I and civilian. The property owner has a U.S. buckle that was found in this sight many years ago by accident. I have read in the western theater they used what they could get there hands on.

There are many references to Confederates wearing all parts of a Yankee uniform because that is all they had.

Without a doubt, especially in the late years of the CW, but I have never dug a CS camp and only found yankee stuff, if I did it was a yankee camp and not CS. Many campgrounds were used by both sides especially it there was good water source, but if there were Confederates in there you will find some CS items even in a late war camp.

There has only been 2 confederate buttons dug in this camp

What type buttons were they. If CS state or CS army issue then you may be in a camp used by both sides. as 40 plus US Eagles scream yankee camp. What other items have you found that tell you its a CS camp?

That is definitely possible its not far from a spring. We have dug Yankee bullets and buttons at the spring. The old battle map shows our area thats about a half mile from spring as confederate camp.

We have found confederate bullets sword handle end. The history I have read talked that this erea was a confederate camp twice. But its definitely possible the union used it to.

Springs were the ultimate source of water and were used by many folks. Fresh water was very important for all people back in those days especially when they were traveling. The horses needed water and people need water. The springs that are in the CS camp I'm digging were used by a lot of different people. I have found Indian relics, French relics and Confederate relics all in the same fields. I don't remember you sharing photos of the Texas buttons found. I would love to see them
springs.jpg

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/pvt-w-j-coker-3rd-tenn-inf.72920/

f559556b.jpg

Pvt. W. J. Coker
3rd Tennessee Infantry
C.S.A.

Pvt. Coker's young appearance looks innocent, but this fresh faced lad had already seen the horrors of war by late 1862. He was young, but he was also a well traveled veteran who had fought in some of bloodiest battles in the west. In February of 1862 after the surrender at Ft. Donelson, Pvt. Coker spent several grueling months as a prisoner at Camp Douglas in Illinois. He was later exchanged. Coker returned to Confederate service. He found himself again in a tight spot. He was among the soldiers defending Vicksburg. He survived Vicksburg and according to records he was with Hoods Corps at Resaca, and fought to the bitter end.

Unknown North Carolina soldier wearing upside down US buckle.

northcarolinarebel11044.jpg

I believe the last one either had a hangover, didn't know it was upside down or was protesting from the look on his face plus he is wearing a musician sword so that says a lot. :D

I will get some pics for you the gentleman that dug them has been digging this erea since the late 70s he has dug some nice artifacts he has dug a couple of other buttons I will post that he thinks may be confederate. Its crazy to think as long as he has been digging this erea were still unearthing relics in the same ereas we have hit several times. Its crazy the bullets he has dug in this battlefield. I have only been digging this site for a couple of years now. Here is some of the items dug in last year and half.
1532307487415500555192.jpg
15323075672441583017040.jpg
15323076046581965410173.jpg
1532307664825527205166.jpg

Back