Discussion U.S Belt Buckle with embedded bullet

Gandycreek

1st Lieutenant
Original buckle that was ruined by seller. Buyer really got hosed.

s-l1600 (63).jpg

s-l1600 (64).jpg

Here is a thread from another site that tells the whole story.

By the number of these saved by a miracle belt buckles that pop up all the time one would be led to believe an awful lot of soldiers were shot in the belt buckle. It would be much more believable to see a shot up musket. Although I am sure there are a lot of reputable sellers on eBay, it is much safer to stick with a small network of trusted relic dealers. There are some really good ones out there!

Not a comment on your buckle, but as a kid growing up in Petersburg, along with my platoon of CS musket toting "rebels", we made a game of shooting Gardner bullets at US and especially Eagle plates. They were common finds back then, valued at 100 dropped Minies for trade. Some of these buckles and plates have still got to be around.

I went over and read the thread in the Militaria Forum. The guy that owned the belt and buckle originally is NOT happy with what happened. How do these sellers on eBay keep going?

Not a comment on your buckle, but as a kid growing up in Petersburg, along with my platoon of CS musket toting "rebels", we made a game of shooting Gardner bullets at US and especially Eagle plates. They were common finds back then, valued at 100 dropped Minies for trade. Some of these buckles and plates have still got to be around.
With me it was WW I & II German helmets.

It is extremely hard to get fakers shut down. I have seen people with enough proof to get someone to convict them in court of selling fakes, but Ebay just doesn't care, and it is hard enough to shame someone enough to get them to take something down. Money talks and suckers walk.

Such a shame that ebay tolerates this kind of thing. I have not bought a ton on there..did an auction by a reputable dealer..I know them, and it was a fund raiser. Bought a Christmas gift on there. I guess I have just been lucky!

What memories of the good old days of relic hunting in Virginia. I once found five eagle breast plates laying on top of the ground, all face down and all in a row about two feet apart. It was all I found all day and I remember being disappointed that was my days tally.
When I turned the plates over the front looked like the day it was made. That was 1962 and I managed to keep two. We kids use to sell them for $2 each which would get a half take of gas. I really am a dinosaur!

His customers don't seem to be complaining much.
Feedback in the past 6 months:
positive 2,431​
neutral 9​
negative 4 (7 in the past 12 months)​
Normally, Ebay will not act against sellers with low negative feedback.

Ebay can be a wonderful resource. But, you have to know what you're bidding on. Caveat emptor, always.

Last edited:
Back