The U.S. Army Medicine Pannier, a fully stocked wooden medicine chest which was produced and sold by the laboratories of Dr. Edward Robinson Squibb in Brooklyn, NY. Squibb became a primary supplier of drugs for the U.S. Army during the Civil War. The same Squibb in global BioPharma leader, Bristol-Myers Squibb, founded in 1858. The box was filled with some 50 medicines to treat casualties. The chest sold for about $100, and included ether and chloroform for use as an anesthetic during amputations, quinine and whiskey to treat symptoms of malaria, and herbal treatments for dysentery and other diseases that ravaged the unsanitary military camps.