Tyler's/Benton Smith's Brigade in the Atlanta Campaign

Luke Freet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
I have been recently working on a series of OoBs for the Confederate Army of Tennessee during the Atlanta Campaign. I've been perplexed by a relatively minor but personally interesting issue.
Tyler's Brigade (consisting of the 37th Georgia, 4th Georgia Sharpshooter Battalion, the 20th Tennessee, 30th Tennessee, and 15th/37th Tennessee...at least; I'll get back to this) would late become T. B. Smith's Brigade when Colonel Thomas Benton Smith of the 20th Tennessee returned from his Chickamauga wound, took command of the brigade, and eventually on the 29th of July promoted to Brigadier General.
However...It is unclear WHEN exactly he returned to command, and at which Battles he was involved in. Wikipedia simply lists him as commanding the brigade always with no note pointing out he was returning from his convalescence, or the fact he was still just a Colonel in this time period. I have gleaned from one source...which I cannot recall on hand, that the brigade was commanded at the start of the campaign by Lt. Colonel Joseph T. Smith of the 37th Georgia, as he was the ranking officer. However, I do not recall that source mentioning the date of his return.
If anyone has more detail on this I'd love to hear it.

Back