Member Review Two New Books to Review

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Friends,

I have recently checked out two new books from my branch library, mainly because of all the debate concerning reconstruction and the theory that slavery would have soon disappeared from the South anyway if the North had not 'invaded' during the war.

The first book is The Day Dixie Died, by Thomas and Debra Goodrich. The book starts with Lincoln's assasination and continues up through the Union occupation through the summer of 1866. The authors trace the history of reconstruction in the South to include the death, destruction, crime, starvation, exile, and anarchy that prevaded those years.

The second book is The Freedmen's Bureau and Reconstruction: Reconsiderations, edited by Paul A. Cimbala and Randall M. Miller. The book addresses the history of the Freedman's Bureau at state and local levels of the Reconstruction South. The book contends that more often than not, the results of Reconstruction depended more on the character and personality of individual Freedmen's Bureau agents than on the laws and edicts of the federal government. The book relates stories and reports of individual agents, often in their own words.

I'll get back to you after I read them in full, but was wondering if anyone else had read these books or any other works on Reconstruction?

YMOS,
Unionblue

Hi Neil,
I am currently trying to read "Reconstruction - After the Civil War"
by John Hope Franklin. I haven't gotten very far due to work schedule though. I Would like to Read the one you have "The Day Dixie Died". So will be looking into my library's collection now also. Thanks for sharing.
Felinelady

Back