Limited Two-dozen plead: Leave Confederate monument as-is

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
I'm glad to hear there are people out there in North Carolina, including family of the soldiers memorialized, defending their local monument.

https://www.dailyadvance.com/two-do...cle_297c536d-a096-52f6-ae09-fdfc3b30fc20.html

Perquimans commissioners took no action Monday on a study panel’s recommendations about the future of the Confederate monument after two dozen residents urged the board to leave the monument as it is.​
The two recommendations from the monument “working group” were to add interpretive signage around the monument and approach the private owners of a monument to Union soldiers on King Street about relocating it to the courthouse lawn, where the monument to Confederate soldiers is located.​
But the overwhelming majority of those addressing commissioners during a public hearing Monday favored neither option.​
Brenda Huddleston, who said her great-great-grandfather served in the Union Army, told commissioners she had thought “long and hard” about the panel’s recommendations.​
“I do not wish to discount the feelings of anyone on either side of this debate, but I must strongly disagree with placing signage around the monument,” Huddleston said. “I do not want us to disparage its true purpose: a marker for the Confederate war dead.”​

Back