Two descriptions of Western Theater Confederate uniforms.

Do you mean March 62? Do you have another account(s) of an undyed wool uniform issue in May? Also only the 1st MO Brigade received those uniforms mainly the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th MO Infantry. The 4th(Formation being finalized in Memphis), and 6th(not formed into "6th" at the time( 2nd Mo inf, MSG, 8th Div and Elliott's Reg, 8th Div, M.S.G.) which were in the 2nd MO Brigade did not get them. Along with 1st MO Inf. being detached.

Mainly when referring to "The Missouri Brigade" it references post Vicksburg. After the 1st and 2nd MO brigades were consolidated into one. Along with the 1st MO being reassigned and consolidated with the 4th after Corinth Oct 62.

Now there are examples of undyed and veg dyed uniforms attributed to members of the 2nd MO Brigade but not the Famous account of the "white wool" uniform issue in March 62 in AR. I am very interested in any more detailed uniform accounts up to the Nov 62-Feb 63 issues while in Holly Springs, and Grenada Miss of "Columbus" depot style uniforms.
Yes, March, typo. I meant the 1st (Little's) Missouri Brigade; I always say 1st Missouri Brigade now. If we had the edit option back I'd add that.

I would love to read that article.
Articles by Fred Adolphus here. See the one on drab/undyed wool uniforms and the one on Debray's 26th Texas Cavalry: http://adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/free-article-downloads.html

Yes, March, typo.
I hope you understand I am not nitpicking! I was actually hoping you had a May 62 uniform issue reference that was detailed. Thank you for posting this it always helps to get that stuff out there.

Reactions: AUG
true, in another posting, it stated that the 'white' undyed or 'buff', so, buff could be an 'off' white or what i like to call, 'dirty' white? almost like a light tan/sand color? As with anything though, unless 'we' were issued it and actually saw the color, almost hart to see what the writers were seeing. one mans 'buff' is another man's 'tan'...It's all good information though.
an example of a "white" or undyed jacket taken by a Federal cavalryman in Virginia as a souvenir from adulphusconfederateuniforms.com white jacket.jpg

the jacket of John T Appler Co H 1st Missouri Infantry believed to be issued in Mississippi in 62 or early 63 from adulphusconfederateuniforms.comView attachment 137228
Just so their is not to much confusion. Appler was in the 4th MO to start out with. The 1st -4th combined following 2nd corinth. He is reported to say he was wearing the uniform at champion hill. Considering the large uniform issues of Nov 62-Feb 63 in Miss, it is thought to possibly be part of that issue.

Though, it is very similar to other "Miss" depot issued uniforms. You see these "undyed" and vegetable dyed uniforms with typically, one piece sleeves and 4 piece bodies. With 6 to 9 button front, with either Fed eagle buttons or Cast red brass I buttons.

One big thing to think about with these "white" uniforms is they were not what many consider "white" today. Typically white or drab simply refers to undyed fabric. Luckily we have surviving examples that show us what they were.

Without going too much down the, rabbit hole. One theory of the the color we see today in some surviving examples is due to the amount of lanolin still left in the fabric and the heavy iron clay dirt seen typically in the south. It is a very interesting study to say the least!

The Jones "Columbus" depot style jacket attributed to the 1-4th MO as well, is very similar. One note about the jacket is that it uses period machine sewn construction with brown thread.

Back