Two Books by William C. Davis

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Friends,

I have recently finished reading two books by Prof. William C. Davis of the History Channel and Civil War Journal series fame.

The two books were 'The Cause Lost, Myths and Realities of the Confederacy' and 'Look Away! A history of the Confederate States of America' both dealing with Southern history during the war.

I must admit I was surprised by some of the conclusions drawn by Prof. Davis and his frank views on the causes of the war and the problems undergone by the newly formed Confederate government.

Overall in both books, Davis is of the opinion that slavery THE reason why the South left the Union. He refers to numerous source documents with detailed footnotes for anyone who cares to check him out.

He also is very harsh on those who blame the South unfairly about the treatment of slaves in the South (overall in his view, slaves were treated well by their masters, although there were some exceptions.) and he gives a very good case that the PC crowd of today is over reacting about the Confederate Battle Flag and what it actually represents and most folks who condem it have no idea of the true history of the flag.

On the flip side, Davis dismisses numerous Confederate myths about why the war came about and lays the cause of the war directly at the feet of slavery.

For some of my friends, these books might be hard reading, but I think even they would be surprised at what the man has to say about spreading the blame around for the war.

More on these books later.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Neil,
What was your final opinion on these 2 books.
Presently the CW discussion group at the local Barnes and Noble has "Look Away" under discussion.
Chuck in Il.

(Message edited by mobile_96 on October 23, 2003)

Charles,

My final opinion of Prof. Davis's books? I liked them both and thought the man hit a lot conclusions right on the button.

Slavery being the cause of the war, tariffs were not a cause, just an excuse made by Southerners after the war to draw attention away from the real reason, slavery.

Prof. Davis did upset some of my ideas on how masters treated their slaves, most treated them well without excess bad treatment, etc., and issues on the CBF and just how tough ol' Jeff Davis had it when trying to form a new government with all those hot heads on him every second.

The books are well worth the look and I hope that helps you a bit Charles. If anything, you now know what I like to read!

Take care,
Unionblue

Neil,
Not read 'The Cause Lost...." and if I do will most likely be awhile, but find in Look Away, he hit the nail on the head. Have only read half so far, but find the the material on the creation of the Confederacy very interesting. I knew bits and pieces, like most of us, but this really puts everything together for me. Looking forward to the 2nd session of the discussion group next month.
Thanks for your imput,
Chuck in Il.

Thanks Neil for the reviews. I am a newbie as far as the Civil War is concerned. I am always looking for something more to read.

Joe

What have you read so far Joe.
All the members here can recommend some great books to read. Many have been mentioned in a lot of the posts here.

Back