Chickamauga Two Battle Reports of the 21st Ohio Infantry at Chickamauga

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
Battle Report of Captain Charles H. Vantine, Co. I, 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Headquarters, 21st Regiment Ohio Vol. Infty.,
Chattanooga, Tenn., September 27, 1863

Sir:
In obedience to order just received, I have the honor to submit the following report of the proceedings of my command since leaving Cave Springs Ala.: On September 1, 1863, the regiment Cave Springs, Ala. taking up the line of march at about 7 p.m., Lt. Colonel D. M. Stoughton being in command. Passing through Stevenson we crossed the Tennessee River the same evening, bivouacked on south side of the river until morning, going into bivouac at 1 a.m. of 2nd instant.

Took up line of march on morning of 2nd instant at 7 o'clock: went into bivouac evening of 2nd at 4 o'clock, near Bridgeport, Ala., and near foot of Big Raccoon Mountain. On the 3rd we crossed Big Raccoon, the companies being scattered along the mountain to help the teams up. At about 3 p. m., the teams being over, took up line of march and marched 6 miles, going into bivouac about sundown. On the 4th instant we marched to foot of mountain and went into bivouac at about 4 p. m. On the 5th a reconnaissance was made some 2 or 3 miles into the valley to the iron works, capturing some salt and some tobacco.

The troops composing the reconnoitering force were the 78th Pennsylvania Volunteers, 21st Ohio Volunteers, and one section Battery G, 1st OhioVolunteer Artillery. No enemy was discovered during the day. The regiment went into bivouac at 5 p. m. Company D being detached as picket, did not rejoin the command until the next day. At daylight on the 6th, the command was marched back to the foot of Big Raccoon for knapsacks.

After getting knapsacks started back and marched until 6 p.m., when we went into bivouac. On the 7th we marched about 4 miles and reached the foot of Lookout Mountain. On 8th we crossed Lookout; the companies were scattered along the mountain to assist the train up. The train was gotten over at 10 a.m., when marched to the top and went into bivouac. On the 9th we marched to the foot of the mountain and went into bivouac at 4 p.m.

On the 10th we moved from our position at the foot of Lookout and advanced slowly toward Pigeon Gap, the 21st OVI being in the advance, Companies F and C being deployed as skirmishers, llight skirmishing being the order of the day. We reached a hill that evening within a mile and one half of the Gap. At 3 a. m. we changed position going about three quarters of a mile to the rear of the hill occupied the evening before, the regiment being formed in the edge of a dense woods, completely concealing it from the enemy. At 6 a. m. of the 11th we changed position a short distance to the left. We lay there until 10 a. m., when we were moved to the rear to protect the wagon train from some rebel cavalry who were reported about to attack it.

While lying here we threw up a light breastwork of rails, logs, ect. At 3 p.m. we were ordered back still farther, the corps being compelled to fall back. We marched about 2 miles to the rear and took up position in a woods on the left as support Battery G, in double column on the center closed en masse. The artillery was firing quite rapidly, and in about half an hour we were moved still farther to the rear, marching by the left flank. Shortly after we were deployed in line of battle. After a short time we again commenced the retrograde movement, marching by the right of companies about 4 miles. At 9 p. m. we took position on the brow of a hill and went into bivouac.

Moved our postion slightly on the morning of the 12th and formed line of battle; stacked arms. On 12th and 13th we lay in the same position taken up the morning of the 12th. On the 14th changed position to the right about three quarters of a mile. We lay in that position until the 17th, when we took up the line of march at 7 a. m. We marched to Chickamuaga Creek and went into bivouac on its banks that night about dark. On 18th took up line of march at 3 p. m., marched 5 miles to the front and got into bivouac after dark. We lay about three hours, when we were ordered back to the Chickamauga again. We reached the creek, threw out pickets, and went into bivouac by 4 a. m. of 19th.

At daylight we threw out pickets and marched back a mile, where we took position as support for Battery G; threw up breastworks of logs and stones. Lay there until 3 p. m., when we were again marched up to front about 5 miles. Heavy fighting had been going on all day on our left. About 6 p. m. reached the battlefield, formed line of battle, and marched forward in a strip of woods about a mile. Just after entering the woods we were saluted by a volley of 10 or 12 guns. We returned the fire, when the enemy threw down their arms and fled. Lay in line of battle all night, every man on alert. We lost 3 men wounded and 2 killed on the 19th.

Next morning, the 20th, we were moved from our position about 9 a. m. over to the left, the enemy having made a spirited attack on the point. After changing position several times we were finally put into position on the brow of a hill as support for a battery belonging to General Brannan's division. At about 11:30 a. m. the enemy advanced on us in heavy force. We, however, held our ground until 3 p. m., when some of the reserve corps came up and relieved us, charging down the hill and driving the enemy in gallant style. They kept the enemy at bay for about one hour, when they fell back and we were again engaged with the enemy.

In the meantime we had thrown up a slight breastwork of logs and stone, behind which we fought until 5 p. m., when we were relieved by som eof General Brannan's division. Our ammunition was exausted, and we could not procure any more. At about half past 5 p. m. the enemy sent up messengers to Brannan's men stating that some of them were waiting for them (our men) to cease fire in order to give themselves (i. e., the enemy) up. The firing ceased and the enemy came up, but instead of giving themselves up they fired a volley and charged up the hill, gaining possession of it entirely. The commanding officer of Brannan's troops asked that the 21st Ohio should charge up and retake the hill.

After some delay one round of ammunition was procured per man from the dead and wounded. With this one round in our guns, we charged up the hill. We delivered our volley, but the enemy was in too large a force, and we were forced back. Twice again, with no ammunition, we charged, with the vain hope of retaking the hill. But we were repulsed. In the meantime Brannan's men were reforming and we lay down to wait until they reorganized, inteading to make one grand charge, and if possible retake the hill. While we were waiting a column was observed filing in a small ravine on our right flank.

Supposing they were our men (they being dressed in blue jeans) we took no notice of them until they formed a line of battle facing toward us. They formed and commenced advancing on us; when asked who they were, said they were "Jeff Davis' men;" supposed they were some of J. C. Davis' division. When they were within a few rods of us called upon us to surrender, "lay down," and ect. A portion of the men jumped up to retreat toward General Beannan's division, when they poured in a heavy volley, wounding and killing a great many. A few of the men of the 21st Ohio who escaped formed, and were lead to Rossville by Colonel Walker, of the 31st Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

On the morning of the 21st we collected all that could be found, reported to Colonel Sirwell, our brigade commander, and took position on the left of the 78th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. On the 21st, together with the rest of the brigade, we took up position on a hill near Rossville, where we lay about 12 midnight, when we were withdrawn and marched to Chattanooga, reaching our present camp on the 22nd. Since then we have done nothing but work on the fort, ect.

Of the officers and men of this command I have only to say that they have done their duty. We ask no higher praises than that. Every man fought as if the fate of the nation rested on his individual efforts. Lt. Colonel D. M. Stoughton was wounded about 3:30 p. m. on the 20th. A cooler, braver, more patriotic officer than he never drew a sword. You will see by the official report of killed, wounded, and missing that we lost some 272 officers and men.

I am sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Charles H. Vantine, Captain Company I, Com. 21st Ohio Vol. Inf.

Capt. Charles B. Gillespie, Acting Assistant Adjutant General, Third Bridgade.

http://www.21stovicoenwohio.com/history_of_21st_ovi/battle_of_chickamauga_ga

Battle Report of Major Arnold McMahan

Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio

April 6, 1864

Brigader General William D. Wipple,

Asst. Adjt. Gen.

Department of the Cumberland

Sir: Having been a prisoner in the hands of the enemy, I was unable sooner to report the part taken by the 21st Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Third Brigade, Second Division, Fourteenth Army Corps, in the Battle of Chickamauga, fought on Saturday and Sunday, September 19th and 20th 1863.

The regiment moved into action Saturday evening an hour before sunset, under command of Lt. Colonel D. M. Stoughton. We had position on the left of our brigade, and joined Colonel Stanley's brigade on its right.

We engaged the enemy's skirmishers until dark, when the firing ceased, after which breastworks of logs were constructed, facing east and south east, in front of an open field. This position was held by us until Sunday morning of the 20th, at which time our skirmisheres became engaged with the skirmishers of the enemy at daylight.

Late Sunday morning, we were withdrawn from this position, and moved with our brigade to a new position.

Skirmishers from the 26th Ohio Volunteers, relieved our skirmishers, and that regiment moved to the position from which we had just withdrawn. This position is marked by two large vats, used for the manufacture of niter, about 200 yards to the rear. At 12 o'clock Sunday, our regiment was assinged a positiopn upon a curved ridge, our front being south. A deep ravine was in front of this ridge, and on our right heavy timber; on our left an open field with timber beyond. There was an old house about 200 yards to our rear, which was subsequently occupied by our wounded. Our effective support on this position consisted of the 22nd Michigan Volunteeres and the 89th Ohio Volunteers on our right, troops under command of Colonel Walker, of the 31st Ohio Volunteers, and Ninth Ohio on our left, and 2nd Minnesota Volunteers in reserve.

I have not learned any name by which this position may be designated, therefore have substituted a description of it.

Immediately after taking position, at 12 noon, the enemy's skirmishers engaged us, and in a short time a strong force moved against us. A severe engagement resulted in the repulse of the enemy.

This demonstration of the enemy for the occupation of this important position was made before the arrival of the support heretofore stated, and though superior in numbers, he was unable to endure the repeated volleys of our superior arms, the Colt Revolving Rifles.

Heavy skirmishing continued until 2 o'clock, when the enemy again made an attempt to carry this position, in which he failed.

Our position was maintained, however, with severe loss in killed and wounded. 2:30, Lt. Colonel Stoughton, who was commanding the regiment until this time, was severely wounded, and the command devolved upon myself. By 3 o'clock every effort had failed to procure a further supply of ammunition. Orderlies sent to report our condition and position to Colonel Sirwell, commanding our brigade, and to General Negley, commanding our divsion, and to obtain ammunition, returned without being able to accomplish the object for which they were sent. Our brigade had retired in the direction of Chattanooga.

I was unable to communicate with General Negley, and no general was designated to whom I might report. But we continued to hold our position. The cartridge boxes of our killed and wounded were carefully searched, also the hospitals, for any ammunition that might be carried there in the cartridge boxes of our wounded, and by this means obtain sufficient ammunition to meet the enemy in a third assult upon our position about 5 o'clock.

In this assult the enemy crossed the ravine in our front and carried his banners up the hill to within twenty yards of our line. He was repulsed and did not retire in good order. During the afternoon a battery had range upon our position, inflicting some degree of damage upon us, also setting fire to the leaves and brush in our front, and the enemy advanced under cover of our smoke. The wounded, under cover of our fire, were removed. A heavy line of skirmishers continued to annoy us, and a sharp fire upon this line exausted our ammunition a short time before sundown, at which time the 2nd Regiment Minnesota Volunteers relieved us. A further search for ammunition resulted in finding one round each for the men composing my command, which had now become very much reduced in numbers. At this time Colonel Van Deveer ordered me to occupy a position on the extreme right from which a part of our line had just been driven by the enemy. In obedience to the order, we occupied the position and captured nine prisoners. A sharp fight from the enemy forced us back, but we regained our position and held it until dark at which time a brigade of four regiments, under Colonel Trigg, moved upon us and overwhelmed us. Simultaneous with this movement of the enemy, which was upon our right flank and rear, we received fire from the enemy upon our right and ourselves. During the misunderstanding thus occasioned, a part of my men escaped under cover of the night. Colonel Van Deveer having withdrawn the troops under his command, my command was unsupported and both flanks exposed.

Thus we lost our stand of colors, which were made sacred to us by the blood of many comrades who fell in their defense and for their honor on other fields as well as on the unfortunate field of Chickamauga.

Great credit is dueto the gallant officers and brave men of my command for their soldier like bearing and good discipline, who stood by their colors and contested the fortunes of the day to the bitter end. I have the honor to report that my regiment did the last firing upon and offered the last resistance to the advance of the enemy which he received, and which checked his progress and ended the Battle of Chickamauga. Having b een seperated from my brigade and division commanders without orders, and not being in communication with any general officer, I was not informed of the movements of the army, and held mhy regiment too closely engagedx for the nature of the contest at dark.

The reference made to other officers and troops than gthose under my command is not intended as a report of any part of their conduct on the field, but to describe the position of my own command, yet I would be pleased to note the gallant conduct of the troops I have mentioned. Our losses were as follows:

Killed and died of wounds:

1 Officer, 47 Enlisted Men, 48

Wounded:

3 Officers, 98 Enlisted Men, 101

Prisoners:

12 Officers, 104 Enlisted Men, 116

Total:

Rounds of Ammunition expended

We moved into action with 22 officers and 517 men with rifles.

Very respectfully,

A. McMahan,

Major 21st Regiment Ohio Vol. Inf.

http://www.21stovicoenwohio.com/history_of_21st_ovi/battle_of_chickamauga_ga

The 21st Ohio was armed with .56 cal. Colt repeating rifles, which led many of the attacking Confederates to assume they were facing a much larger force. First a regiment, then a series of brigades were thrown at them, resulting in charges and counter-charges but not much change in the line.

By mid-afternoon they were suffering from accute water and ammunition shortages, and the supply wagons containing their ammo was on the road back to Chattanooga. They found they could use similar minie balls if they mounted the bayonette, to keep the muzzle from bursting (you have to wonder how many burst before they figured that one out). They urinated on the rifles to cool them down, otherwise the rounds would go off on their own.

It was only at twighlight when the shadow of lookout mountain cast their position in darkness, compounded by fog and smoke at ground level, that the flanking Confederate force confused them and was on top of them before they could react. When they surrendered, only a few rounds of ammo remained among the regiment, they were under orders to defend the hill by bayonette if necessary - the rest of the army was withdrawing, and they needed the furthest end of the line to stay into position until Thomas' corps passed through the narrow gap to join the road back to Chattanooga.

A couple weeks ago when I went to Chickamauga I was trying to remember the regiment with the Colt Repeaters. I had read about them in Terrible Sound. Cozzens described them using similar minie balls to shoot with.

A couple weeks ago when I went to Chickamauga I was trying to remember the regiment with the Colt Repeaters. I had read about them in Terrible Sound. Cozzens described them using similar minie balls to shoot with.

Yes it was the 21st Ohio. I always wanted to buy one but the price has always been out of my range.
The dust jacket on Cozzen's book has a nice painting of the 21st.

Yes it was the 21st Ohio. I always wanted to buy one but the price has always been out of my range.
The dust jacket on Cozzen's book has a nice painting of the 21st.

I understand what you're saying about the Colt and price. I have been wanting a Spencer Rifle bad for about 2 years now.....but my lord that price is just out of my ability to justify it.

You can find the 21st's regimental history on Google play, written by Captain Canfield - there's a free app for it. History of the 21st Regiment by Silas Canfield.

They had quite the history. One of my characters is in the 21st for the novels on Stone's River, Chickamauga, and Chattanooga.

Interesting write! Thank You! My Great Grandfather and Great Grand Uncle were in the Mich.22nd Co.G. My Grand uncle was captured on the 20th. He survived the war as a grueling guest at Andersonville. My Grandfather stayed with the unit until the end and mustered out as a Sergeant.

Reactions: AUG
The following link is from an article originally posted in the Civil War Times Illustrated, January, 1967.

http://www.historynet.com/battle-of...infantry-and-their-colts-revolving-rifles.htm
Great article; thanks for posting, Lost Cause.

Here's Keith Rocco's take on the 21st Ohio at Snodgrass Hill, titled "To The Last Round":
The Last Round.jpg

Back