NF Golden Thread Twenty-five Years Ago: My Brush With Glory!

Non-Fiction
54th Mass. Monument 1.JPG

Another legacy of Glory is the restoration of Gutzon Borglum's well-known Col. Robert Shaw/54th Massachusetts Monument on Boston Common across from the State House. Supposedly it served as the inspiration for Kevin Jarre to write the screenplay, and was refurbished so it could be featured as the background for the film's credit roll. I finally got to see it several years later while on vacation visiting area sites relating to the American Revolution, since it's a featured stop on Boston's Freedom Trail. I recently "rediscovered" these photos among others from that trip; note that flowers have been left on both the base and Shaw's lap in memorial.

54th Mass. Monument 2.JPG

Last edited:
Still loving every update.
Quick question.. did Murdzak make the colors for the Regt? I know his flags have always been amazing pieces of art

scan0018-jpg.jpg

I have just been notified by his son about my friend and associate from Glory:

"Matthew passed on June 3rd. He went quickly and peacefully in the middle of the night, laying in bed holding hands with my mother. Massive heart attack.

We will be holding a memorial service for him on Friday.

I wanted to thank you for the post because it was lovely, and great to see him doing some of the work. Matt had a room width poster of that shot from the back cover that was in my room all my life, it was a source of personal pride for his family."

Matt Murdzak.jpg

Matt in a photo taken last Christmas; I wish his family the best and regret having lost touch over the years - Matt, RIP!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am the son who contacted James.
Below is the post I made on Facebook with his memorial arrangements. If you knew Matt, or know someone who knew Matt, please let them know, as they are welcome to attend.

Hello everyone, thank you all for your kindness in this trying time. Matthew Murdzak's memorial arrangements have been made.

C. Matthew Murdzak, Major USAR will be cremated, in order to be interred in the Columbarium at Arlington National Cemetery, pending their acceptance of his remains.

A Memorial Service will be held June 20th, 2015 at 11am at
St Stephen's Episcopal Cathedral
221 N Front St, Harrisburg, PA 17101

A gathering will be held after at Murdzak/Bailey house at
6985 Clearfield St, Harrisburg PA, 17111
This will be a Pot Luck celebration to remember Matthew and share memories of our father, husband and beloved hero.

Well some more sad news regarding the making of the film Glory. The films music composer James Horner died yesterday in a plane crash. The list of his film scores he composed for famous movies is too long to list here but some standouts include Glory, Titantic, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Avatar, Field of Dreams, Mask of Zorro, Aliens and A Beautiful Mind just to name a few. Condolences to his family, fans of movies will definitely miss his work.

Well some more sad news regarding the making of the film Glory. The films music composer James Horner died yesterday in a plane crash. The list of his film scores he composed for famous movies is too long to list here but some standouts include Glory, Titantic, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Avatar, Field of Dreams, Mask of Zorro, Aliens and A Beautiful Mind just to name a few. Condolences to his family, fans of movies will definitely miss his work.

Also for Troy, Enemy at the Gates, Patriot Games and several Star Treck movies. He also is the the creator of the soundtrack of Apocalypto, which is one of my favorite soundtracks. His work will be really missed.

Good thing I'm self-employed and have very good employees. I've spent the better part of the afternoon reading through this thread. :D Outstanding.

Good thing I'm self-employed and have very good employees. I've spent the better part of the afternoon reading through this thread. :D Outstanding.

Glad you enjoyed it!

James N. -

I just read throught this entire thread for a second time just to make sure I didn't miss anything... This is the greatest thread I've seen on CWT - and your writing style narrates & compliments it tremendously.

This thread should somehow be packaged into a 30 year anniversary edition of Glory!

If you don't mind my asking - which semi-recent(ish?) Texas living history event did you manage to have the 'reunion' with a Battery Wagner fiberglass gun at?

I spend a fair amount of time up your way on - perhaps someday we shall cross paths.

I find your adventures absolutely intriguing, sir. Thank you for sharing them with us.

... If you don't mind my asking - which semi-recent(ish?) Texas living history event did you manage to have the 'reunion' with a Battery Wagner fiberglass gun at?

I spend a fair amount of time up your way on - perhaps someday we shall cross paths.

I find your adventures absolutely intriguing, sir. Thank you for sharing them with us.

My pleasure, and thanks for the compliment. About the only event I attend any more with any kind of regularity is the annual Saturday during the Tyler Azalea Trail, usually held around the last weekend in March or the first in April, to hopefully coincide with the blooms, which don't always cooperate! It's a sort of show-and-tell sponsored by the local SCV camp and held at the grounds of Camp Ford, former Confederate mustering-in site that became a prison for Union soldiers and sailors captured at places like Sabine Pass and Mansfield. At one event Danny Sessums brought one of the 42-pounders remounted on a naval truck for the TV production Ironclads. He carried it in the bed of his large pickup and it looked formidable with its muzzle poking over the tailgate! here's a link to last year's event:

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/ann...t-camp-ford-tyler-texas-march-28-2015.111460/

There's been some question about the fate of this lately, though, what with all the "politically correct" foolishness about the Confederate Flag though, so better to investigate first rather than just heading over!

My pleasure, and thanks for the compliment. About the only event I attend any more with any kind of regularity is the annual Saturday during the Tyler Azalea Trail, usually held around the last weekend in March or the first in April, to hopefully coincide with the blooms, which don't always cooperate! It's a sort of show-and-tell sponsored by the local SCV camp and held at the grounds of Camp Ford, former Confederate mustering-in site that became a prison for Union soldiers and sailors captured at places like Sabine Pass and Mansfield.

I've never heard of the Tyler Azalea Trail event, so thanks for the tip!

I have however visited Camp Ford numerous times, and always take along my ex-library 'Camp Ford companion' while visiting:

image.jpeg

At one event Danny Sessums brought one of the 42-pounders remounted on a naval truck for the TV production Ironclads. He carried it in the bed of his large pickup and it looked formidable with its muzzle poking over the tailgate!

That's awesome... sure beats the plain-jane 'diesel truck and flatbed trailer' method I've always seen!

There's been some question about the fate of this lately, though, what with all the "politically correct" foolishness about the Confederate Flag though, so better to investigate first rather than just heading over!

Oh, but of course there has been. I'd really be at a loss if those kinda folks didn't take it upon themselves to shield all of us fragile & delicate-minded types from that horrid and offensive history... :wink:

I'll make sure that i investigate prior to a visit!

Last edited:
James N. I finally saw Glory. It was my first introduction to the 54th Regiment of Mass., so it was all so new and awe-inspiring. I am so very fortunate to have finally taken the time to both watch the movie and read through the fabulous thread! For anyone who questions that "its just a movie" and "its not historically correct", I have a response taken from an exchange that just happened earlier today on another blog:

This is a quote of Douglas Egerton taken from a post from the blog Civil War Memory

'The dying officer in that mural was Robert Gould Shaw, the son of abolitionists who survived Antietam and Grimball’s Landing only to take seven balls in the chest at the second battle of Battery Wagner."
My Response:

Up until 2 nights ago, I would not have had any idea of who/what you are referring to; however, I just viewed Glory for the first time (I know, I know: it is a movie) so that another door to a new subject has been opened. I appreciate your further comments on this topic, and I will look forward to the new book.(The book is called, Thunder at the Gates: The Black Civil War Regiments That Redeemed America. The release date is November 1)

Had I not seen the movie, I may have just glossed over this conversation with little to no interest. Whilst movies may deliver part, or event the smallest amount of historical accuracy -- they open the door of interest. I already felt a certain amount of investment in Robert Gould Shaw after the movie, so with a forthcoming book on the horizon: I am off to the races on yet another CW topic :smile:

201171918042_IM000576.jpg

I recently remembered these photos I'd taken a few years back showing some of the souvenir T-shirts from Glory and Last of the Mohicans laid out on my bed above. This is one of the notorious giveaways provided to the thousands of "volunteer" extras in the scene of the 54th marching off to war in "Boston":

2011719184145_IM000582.jpg
My wife and daughter watching the film The Last of the Mohicans.

Attachments

• IMG_20170129_121707.jpg
    IMG_20170129_121707.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20170129_121711.jpg
    IMG_20170129_121711.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20170129_151525.jpg
    IMG_20170129_151525.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20170129_151530.jpg
    IMG_20170129_151530.jpg