Twas The Night Before Christmas As Remembered By Lt Gen James Longstreet 1st Corps ANV

War Horse

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
1577203678057.png

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the camp not a creature was stirring not even a rat! The rifles were all stacked by the campfires with care in hopes that victory soon would be theirs. The boys were all nestled all snug in their tents, while visions of loved ones danced in there their heads. Hero was happy with a fresh sack of oats and I in my nightshirt had just closed my eyes for a much needed nap. When out on the trail arose such a clatter I sprang from my cot to see what was the matter. I threw open the flap and dashed out my tent. The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow gave luster of midday to objects in view, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but General Stuart with hundreds of wagons loaded with much needed gear. With his usual laughter so clever and quick, I knew in a moment he had just looted it. With laughter and song his horsemen they came as he whistled and called to me by name. Send for Lee and for Jackson, a feast we shall have, thanks to the Yankees and on their behalf! As he rode into camp he and his men. He dismounted and turned and gave me a grin. He was dressed in a cape and a plum in his cap. All covered in trail dust. weary at that, as he and his men delivered their treat. His eyes how they twinkled! his dimples- how merry! The beard on his face was a full as the moon. The stump of a pipe he held in his teeth. He was thin, strong and jolly, a hell of a site. I smiled when I saw him in spite of myself. A wink of his eye and a nod of his head gave me to know we had nothing to dread. His musicians soon gathered and the men they awoke with the music they sang with old JEB in the lead knowing every note! At the end of his song he sprang to his feet and shouted Merry Christmas to all, it's a very good night!!!!

Merry Christmas!

War Horse

Last edited by a moderator:
Back