HF TV shows that had a Confederate soldier or ex-Confederate soldier.

Historical-Fiction
The Rebel in 1959, the theme song was sung by Johnny Cash and it starred Nick Adams.
I loved that show when I was a boy. My recollection was that Nick Adam’s himself sang the theme song. This was based on a 45 I had of him singing it. I just looked it up — JC sang the theme song used in the show; NC recorded and released the single, followed by JC a year or so later.

The Rifleman had a couple of episodes, one with a wounded confederate,, blandon(?) I think was his name, and his shoulder wound was so horrible that Mark McCain ran away in fear/repulse when he saw it,, then Phil Sheridan rode in, and gave an impassioned speech about war and reconciliation to the confederate, then helped him.
Another was when 2 confederates that spent 2 1/2 years in a union prison,, happened upon lucas and recognized he was a union lieutenant in the war, so they took him prisoner and put him into a small cage, intent on keeping him incarcerated for 2 1/2 years as they had been. Fortunately both episodes had happy endings, and Lucas was ok,, allowing the series to continue for a couple more years
I had the exact same thought when I first read this thread Sunday.

The Sheridan Story — this episode required multiple suspensions of reality. The injured soldier had Gen. Sheridan in his sights during the war but did not pull the trigger. He did not know who he was at the time when, Lo and Behold, the General appeared at the McCain Ranch at the very same time and the disabled veteran recognized him as the officer he did not kill! The ex-reb was going to shoot him but did not so all was eventually forgiven and the good General saw to it that the good man would receive competent treatment and rehab by the US medical department.

The other episode was The Prisoner.

AMC reran 5 or 6 episodes Saturday mornings a few years ago and I watched them all over again. Good memories. And more satisfying and informative with the internet to supplement each episode, particularly the correlation of the role actors to all the other 60s shows.

Last edited:
A Ken Curtis tidbit, he had a son named Chester.
Another tidbit - I lived the next town over from him after Gunsmoke ended. He lived in Clovis, CA. I used to go to the horse & livestock auctions as well as the rodeo in Clovis. There's a statue of Festus in Clovis as well. 🙂
o.jpg

Many don't hold up today , but several are still worth watching
Kurt, by 'hold up' are you referring to the 'Outdated Cultural Depictions' rating placed on at the start of these shows or something else?

When I watch TV these days, 95% is watching the Western Channel. A gold mine for the shows of the 1950's and 60's.

For whatever the reason I find comfort and enjoyment going back 40-50 years for my entertainment quality as opposed to what contemporary choices are. Most these older shows present positive values through entertainment though there are certainly inaccurate cultural depictions too.

There were 2 or 3 Twilight Zone episodes that featured Confederate soldiers.

Passersby — a wife waiting for the return of her Confederate husband, presumably at the end of the war, watches a steady stream of Confederates passing by from her front porch, all destined for the same unidentifiable place. Near the end of the line is Lincoln, thus suggesting everyone is dead, including the wife.

Still Valley — a wizard or magician tries to win the war for the Confederacy through a spell that freezes Union soldiers.

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge — wonderful sci fi short story by Ambrose Bierce with a surprise/shocking ending. Main character is a Confederate saboteur/bushwhacked/spy. Trivia: this was the only Twilight Zone episode that was not original to TZ. It was licensed from a French short subject film and limitations on the license prevented it from being re-broadcast or included in any home media set for many decades. Only in the past few years has it been available and Sci Fi Channel regularly airs it now.

Kurt, by 'hold up' are you referring to the 'Outdated Cultural Depictions' rating placed on at the start of these shows or something else?

When I watch TV these days, 95% is watching the Western Channel. A gold mine for the shows of the 1950's and 60's.

For whatever the reason I find comfort and enjoyment going back 40-50 years for my entertainment quality as opposed to what contemporary choices are. Most these older shows present positive values through entertainment though there are certainly inaccurate cultural depictions too.
Something else. Primarily the acting . As a kid I loved shows such as Tombstone Territory , Lawman , etc. When I watch them now I see the acting and the storylines were not always very good . Still love Gunsmoke , Have Gun Will Travel , Wanted Dead or Alive , The High Chapparal , etc . The inaccurate cultural depictions come with the territory and the times and generally don't bother me . Several shows , such as Gunsmoke ,treated the Native Americans with dignity and respect .

There were 2 or 3 Twilight Zone episodes that featured Confederate soldiers.

Passersby — a wife waiting for the return of her Confederate husband, presumably at the end of the war, watches a steady stream of Confederates passing by from her front porch, all destined for the same unidentifiable place. Near the end of the line is Lincoln, thus suggesting everyone is dead, including the wife.

Still Valley — a wizard or magician tries to win the war for the Confederacy through a spell that freezes Union soldiers.

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge — wonderful sci fi short story by Ambrose Bierce with a surprise/shocking ending. Main character is a Confederate saboteur/bushwhacked/spy. Trivia: this was the only Twilight Zone episode that was not original to TZ. It was licensed from a French short subject film and limitations on the license prevented it from being re-broadcast or included in any home media set for many decades. Only in the past few years has it been available and Sci Fi Channel regularly airs it now.
I remember the Passersby episode and thought it was really well done .

Don Murray played an ex-Confederate officer turned bounty hunter (named Earl Corey) in the short-lived ABC Western "The Outcasts" (1968-1969, 26 episodes). His partner was an ex-slave (named Jemal David) played by Otis Young.

On today - 'Tales of Wells Fargo' - episode "Don't Wake the Tiger" (1862) - ex-confederates (Jim Davis & Gary Clarke) capture a Wells Fargo agent (Royal Dano) that was a major in the Union army and hold their former jailer captive in a barb-wire enclosure, replicating their own experiences.

When I watch them now I see the acting and the storylines were not always very good
Agree 100%! :smile: Many of the storylines were razor thin. There were so many westerns on in the 50's and 60's (I stopped counting and here is a link instead) it had to be hard to have unique quality storylines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_westerns_on_television

The inaccurate cultural depictions come with the territory and the times and generally don't bother me . Several shows , such as Gunsmoke ,treated the Native Americans with dignity and respect .
Agree on both counts. What's disturbing to me is the need to point out there are inaccurate cultural depictions to the audience as though we can't recognize good and bad treatment ourselves while watching the show. Our new America, I guess.

My favorite show was "The Life and Times of Wyatt Earp" I even had the the Earp vest! I loved the show. A few years back it came on TV again. I was excited to watch it. Watch one show and couldn't believe how bad it was, acting, storyline, characters, the setting all bad.

My favorite show was "The Life and Times of Wyatt Earp" I even had the the Earp vest! I loved the show. A few years back it came on TV again. I was excited to watch it. Watch one show and couldn't believe how bad it was, acting, storyline, characters, the setting all bad.
I liked that one as well when I was a youngster but was confused because Hugh O'Brien didn't have a mustache like Wyatt did . Sadly many of the old shows don't hold up , but I will never forget the theme song . Same thing with Tombstone Territory . I'll never forget that theme song , but the series doesn't hold up at all .

All of the Saturday morning Westerns - Rin Tin Tin, Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill Hickock, Lone Ranger, and heading north - Sgt Preston & Yukon King and on and on and on.

The Big Valley! In the March 6, 1967 episode "Court Martial" (s.2 ep.24), an ex-Union General is tried for war crimes by five ex-Confederate soldiers at the Barkley ranch while they hold Miss Victoria, Miss Laura, and Jarrod hostage. Guest star Henry Burk Jones plays the ex-Union general. L.Q. Jones, Alan Bergmann, David Renard, Paul Comi, and Clay Tanner play the five ex-Confederate soldiers. An excellent episode with a double-twist ending! (The photo is of Henry Jones.)
BnXkFtZTcwMTY3MjYxOA@@._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Back