HF TV shows that had a Confederate soldier or ex-Confederate soldier.

Historical-Fiction

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Who can name a TV show that used a Confederate soldier or ex-Confederate soldier?

Let me start with the 1961 TV show The Americans. Ben Canfield was a Union solider and his bother Jeff was a Confederate soldier. The show only lasted 17 episodes. The two bothers fought in battles, went on secret missions. Ben was captured and sent to Libby Prison. All in all the show was not great and was not a real success. The Civil War uniforms were inaccurate. Anyone remember this TV show?

Bonanza was one of the longest running TV shows. The stories are said to be set from 1861 to 1867. Despite this, I do not remember the Civil War being a real part of the story lines. None of the Cartwright boys went off to War. The Civil War did not have much of an effect on the Ponderosa or the people of Virginia City, Nevada. I realize Nevada was far from the seat of the War, but one would think that the Civil War would have impacted the people of Nevada a bit more. Perhaps the writers and producers did not want to go down that road.

Bonanza was one of the longest running TV shows. The stories are said to be set from 1861 to 1867. Despite this, I do not remember the Civil War being a real part of the story lines. None of the Cartwright boys went off to War. The Civil War did not have much of an effect on the Ponderosa or the people of Virginia City, Nevada. I realize Nevada was far from the seat of the War, but one would think that the Civil War would have impacted the people of Nevada a bit more. Perhaps the writers and producers did not want to go down that road.
I remember an episode where Ben was called up as a leader of the militia wearing a typical Hollywood Union uniform . Certainly the weapons never matched the time period . I preferred Gunsmoke by far .

Back