HF TV shows that had a Confederate soldier or ex-Confederate soldier.

Historical-Fiction
Two ACW themed shows on the same day.

Last night’s episode of “Laramie” on the Western channel had Dr. Samuel Mudd moving West after President Johnson’s parole of Mudd from the Dry Tortugas prison to start a new life. He saved the life of the son of the man that had arrested Mudd in 1865. After some interesting anger plot twists good feelings and friendships abound.

Last night’s ”Rifleman” on the Western channel had Chuck Connors confronting a gunman that was the son of the first man (Confederate) Lucas (Federal) had killed in the ACW. At Gettysburg (of course). Lucas was pretty freaked out as the son looked exactly like the father. Lucas knew this as he’d kept a daguerreotype he’d removed from the father’s body in his trunk at the ranch.

Both shows implausible yet entertaining.

Who can name a TV show that used a Confederate soldier or ex-Confederate soldier?

Let me start with the 1961 TV show The Americans. Ben Canfield was a Union solider and his bother Jeff was a Confederate soldier. The show only lasted 17 episodes. The two bothers fought in battles, went on secret missions. Ben was captured and sent to Libby Prison. All in all the show was not great and was not a real success. The Civil War uniforms were inaccurate. Anyone remember this TV show?
The High Chaparral. Main character Buck Cannon was a former Confederate Soldier. His brother John fought for the Union. Several episodes of the series deal with the Civil War and old commanders showing up.

The High Chaparral. Main character Buck Cannon was a former Confederate Soldier. His brother John fought for the Union. Several episodes of the series deal with the Civil War and old commanders showing up.
I was 9 thru age 13 during the 100th anniv of the ACW from 1961 to 1965 but for some strange reason I've almost no recall of any show with rebs (except of course the one with Johnny Yuma played by Nick Adams!). I think there are two reasons for this, in my case. First, I moved from NJ to LA in 1961, so, culturally, LA hardly noticed it was the 100th anniv. Second, tho my GGGF was Sgt in Stonewall Brigade (served all 4 yrs), I wasn't made aware of our rebel heritage until I was 35, and then only b/c I'd developed an interest in reading about the war. I realize now, looking back with the help of these threads, that TV was chock full of ACW related stories. Of course I remember movies like The Searchers and such having such connections, but even that didn't really become crystal clear to me until after my epiphany at age 35.

Back