1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Modern Turmeric

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by Barrycdog, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Barrycdog

Barrycdog Major

You hear so much about how healthy turmeric is for you but I have not applied it to anything cooking wise. Do any of you use turmeric when cooking?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. nitrofd

nitrofd Lt. Colonel Forum Host

It is the mainstay for coloring mustard or anything else you want to have a yellow color.

FarawayFriend and Barrycdog like this.
  4. HarrisLightCoF

HarrisLightCoF Private

I recently carried two dozen Krispy Kreme donuts down to the Washington Mall to meet some cousins who were at a protest/march/demonstration. The cousins and their high school aged peers greatly disappointed me in their inability to eat all the donuts (back in my day....) so I made some friends and gave away from Krispy Kremes before leaving the march.

One fellow, an American originally from Hyderabad, India, gave me a nice long lecture about Tumeric, and how he is able to use it to control his diabetes without other medication. Although mightily skeptical of such things, he was happily eating a angel creme donut while lecturing, so in the future when my glucose levels are no longer controllable by my pancreas (a given considering my eating habits & family history) I will be investigating turmeric, and I'll be curious to see what else people add to this topic!

And, because we're in ACW cooking, anyone know when Tumeric first found its way to american shores? I know there were Asian Americans who fought for both North & South, were there any Indians? (from India rather than Native Americans)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    nitrofd and Barrycdog like this.
  5. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

Use turmeric everyday! Mix a heaping tablespoon into my V8 juice in the morning. Is supposed to be healthy and help build immune system and reduce inflammation and have anti-cancer properties. So far...so good.

Barrycdog likes this.
  6. Barrycdog

Barrycdog Major

7. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Turmeric is the aromatic root or rhizomes of a plant of the ginger family. It is a native of Indonesia and China but is also imported from the provinces of madras and Alleppey at opposite ends of the Malabar Coast of India.

The roots grow the same size as ginger. Its flavor is mildly aromatic. Its most important use id for food color.

The Turmeric from Alleppey has a lighter and more intense color than that from Madras and usually brings a somewhat higher price. Because it is a vegetable product, a food colored with Turmeric does not have to be labelled as artificially colored.

It is available both whole and ground. Its flavor and color are essential ingredients of Curry powder. It is used in important quantities in prepared mustard, giving the color which we are familiar. It is used to replace Saffron as a coloring agent in rice and other food. It is an important ingredient in obtaining the flavor and color in some pickle and condiment formulas.

8. donna

I brought up thread on Recipes from "The Virginia Housewife. There is recipe for Curry Powder which has turmeric as one of the ingredients.

Barrycdog likes this.
  9. Allie

Allie Captain

Indian cooking uses tons of turmeric. If you want to learn how to cook basically anything Indian, I suggest the site vahrehvah.com . My favorite cook at home Indian meals are saag chicken, egg biryani, and cucumber daal.

Most recipes call for dried turmeric. Fresh turmeric is a whole different experience. I think it looks a little bit like bugs!

image.jpg

donna and Barrycdog like this.
  10. Northern Light

Northern Light Captain

I have only used it for mustard pickles.

11. nitrofd

I will have to checkout the use of turmeric for controlling diabetes as I have sugar problems and can not take the medication.

HarrisLightCoF and Barrycdog like this.
  12. donna

In another book on spices, "Spices Of The World Cookbook" by McCormick on Turmeric:

'Turmeric native to Cochin, China; imported from India, Haiti, Jamaica, and Peru. Turmeric is mentioned in writings of Greek physician Dioscorides (ca. A.D. 40-90). It was used as a dye. Today used to color butter, cheese and pickles. Extensively used in East Indian Cookery. Rhizome or root of ginger family, is washed, cleaned and sun-dried .. It is available ground, and is golden yellow in color. It has musky odor and slightly bitter flavor. Small amount adds color to foods. It is major ingredient in Curry Powder and prepared mustard."

Uses:

"Turmeric is used in egg dishes, pickles, chow-chow, rice dishes, cream sauces, salad dressings, breads, relish, mayonnaise, soups, noodles, and in preparing chicken and fish.:

From: "Spices Of The World Cookbook", by McCormick, 1964 pages 58-59.

13. donna

A recipe for Thousand Island Pickles with Turmeric.

4 quarts sliced cucumbers
    4 medium size onions, sliced
    2 sweet red pepper, cut into stripes
    1 green pepper, cut into strips
    3 cups sugar
    3 cups vinegar
    1 tablespoon dry Mustard
    1 tablespoon Turmeric
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tablespoons Mustard Seed

Combine all ingredients. Heat to just below the boiling point but do not boil. Fill hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal. Makes about 7 pints.

Barrycdog likes this.
  14. donna

Since just added to thread on Curry Powder, thought bring up Turmeric, a spice used in making homemade Curry Powder.

MRB1863 likes this.
  15. MRB1863

MRB1863 Captain Forum Host

And Turmeric is said to have several health benefits and healing powers. True?, well I don't know as I am not a doctor. Just play one on forum questions occasionally.

16. nitrofd

Last night I saw something very interesting on the tube about tumeric.most of us know that is what gives yellow mustard it's bright color.what I found out is that there are two types of tumeric,yellow which we are familarge with and white tumeric which is used in Indian cooking as a replacement for ginger as it has a milder flavor.it is available if you have an Indian market near you.have to check this out.

donna likes this.
  17. donna

Thought bump this thread on Turmeric since mentioned in Curried Chicken Salad thread.

18. BelleBlackburn

BelleBlackburn Sergeant

We keep it on the table and sprinkle it onto our food.

donna likes this.
  19. nitrofd

A very misunderstood spice.with all the Indian style of cooking happening now it is starting to get more acceptance.

donna likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)