Attorney in Chickasaw County, Mississippi​
1876 – 1878: Mississippi State Representative​

Died: September 14, 1881

Place of Death: Okolona, Mississippi

Age at time of Death: 54 years old

Cause of Death: Murdered

Burial Place: Odd Fellows Cemetery, Okolona, Mississippi

Last edited by a moderator:
One biography states that Tucker was Colonel of the 42nd Regiment of Mississippi Volunteers.Another states it was the 41st Mississippi. Tucker did take over James Patton Anderson's brigade when that general was promoted to divisional command.

So far as I can find, no one was ever convicted of Tucker's murder though the press certainly had suspicions. Article from the 14 August 1884 edition of the Vicksburg (MS) Herald.
clip_101435352.jpg

Another from the 30 August 1884 Grenada (MS) Sentinel.
clip_101436703.jpg

How many former Civil War generals were murdered after the war? I know Hindman, James Canton, Bryan Grimes, Tucker, and Wirt Adams were.
Right off the top of my head I can add Union BG Joseph Bailey who was murdered in Missouri in 1867. The same year also saw the death under questionable circumstances of BG Thomas F. Meagher.

One biography states that Tucker was Colonel of the 42nd Regiment of Mississippi Volunteers.Another states it was the 41st Mississippi. Tucker did take over James Patton Anderson's brigade when that general was promoted to divisional command.
This is confusing. The bio states he was the colonel of the 11 Mississippi Regiment —which was wiped out during Pickett’s Charge.

Also interesting in that I have a connection to a TUCKER family in my family tree. I have to check into a possible link.

This is a biography that someone posted on FaceBook.

William Feimster Tucker, born in Iredell County, North Carolina, on 9 May 1827. He graduated from Emory and Henry College in Virginia in 1848 and moved to Houston, Mississippi, where he taught for several years before being elected probate judge of Chickasaw County in 1855. Tucker courted and wed Martha Josephine Shackelford, the daughter of a prominent planter. He studied law, was admitted to the bar, and was a practicing attorney in Okolona when the Civil War began.
Tucker was appointed a captain in the Mississippi militia in January 1861 and in May entered Confederate service as a captain in the 11th Mississippi Infantry. He fought with that unit at First Bull Run (Manassas) in Barnard E. Bee's brigade. His company was transferred to the West, where it became part of the 41st Mississippi Infantry, and Tucker was commissioned colonel of the regiment on 8 May 1862.
Tucker and his regiment fought with distinction on a number of battlefields, including Perryville, Kentucky, where Tucker was
wounded in the right arm; Stones River (Murfreesboro), Tennessee; Chickamauga, Georgia; and Chattanooga, Tennessee. He won promotion to brigadier general on 1 March 1864 and led a brigade of five Mississippi infantry regiments, including his old command.
Tucker was
wounded again early in the Atlanta Campaign at Resaca on 14 May 1864, while his brigade was in reserve and he was observing the movements of the enemy. His left arm was severely damaged, probably by an artillery shell fragment, and surgeons amputated a portion of it.
With two bad arms, he was forced to retire from active field duty. In April and May 1865 he commanded the District of Southern Mississippi and Eastern Louisiana and negotiated the cessation of hostilities in that region. He was paroled on 15 May 1865.

Also, although not generals, Colonel Henry Ashby (cousin of Turner Ashby) was murdered in 1868 and Colonel Smith Bankhead (cousin of John Magruder) was murdered in 1867. Bankheads murder is the oldest cold case murder in Memphis.

Back