Trying to identify this soldier's uniform in tintype

What can any of you make of this soldier's uniform? It is a bit odd to me.
cwsoldiertintype.jpg

Looks like a prewar militia uniform or early war company uniform. Also looks like he might have an artillery sword or sword bayonet on his belt.

Looks like a prewar militia uniform or early war company uniform. Also looks like he might have an artillery sword or sword bayonet on his belt.
I think that is a sword bayonet. It could well be prewar, too. The Georgia Frame-style buckle has me puzzled, though.

It is a sword bayonet and that's a pre war rifleman's belt and buckle regularly issued with a Mississippi rifle with a sword bayonet, not a Georgia frame. I'd say a pre or early war militia uniform but I'm sure one of the uniform experts can narrow it down to the unit.

Used by both sides, this is the Model 1855 Rifleman Belt which carried the sword bayonet used on the M1855 Rifle.
5775_440x300.jpg

The only thing that would possibly help with an Id is the hat badge. I blew it up and played with the color etc and being reversed I believe it's a T R T? Rifles. The hat badge is kinda unique with the complete oval. A little detective work might Id the unit but the name is more than likely lost to time. Did you pull the plate from the case and see if there is a name behind it?

While there are many knowledgeable members on this forum, I suggest you submit your image to http://militaryimagesmagazine.com to get input from military photograph collectors. This will increase your chances of identifying this pre War militia unit.

Reactions: WJC
I agree that it is a militia uniform. Note the leg stripes worn by a private. I am not sure I would call it an odd uniform for a pre war militia.

The only thing that would possibly help with an Id is the hat badge. I blew it up and played with the color etc and being reversed I believe it's a T R T? Rifles. The hat badge is kinda unique with the complete oval. A little detective work might Id the unit but the name is more than likely lost to time. Did you pull the plate from the case and see if there is a name behind it?

Hard to tell.....the length of the "serifs" make it appear that the top stroke of the first letter is an "arm" instead of a regular "serif" ? .....So if the first letter is an "F" instead of a "T" it could be "F.R." The image is located in Jacksonville Florida. If it is a "native" image (not imported from elsewhere) possibly "Florida Rangers"? or "Florida Rifles"
Militia insignia.JPG
Militia insignia edit.jpg

I have a question which is a bit off topic. How common were the 1855 rifle belts?

I have an interest in Michigan pre war militia uniforms. Some of these militia companies were receiving M1855 rifle muskets and sword bayonets. Michigan usually issued the proper accruements when issuing weapons, so I wonder if the militia companies receiving M1855 rile muskets and sword bayonets also received1855 rifle belts. There must have been other options for carrying the sword bayonets.

Hard to tell.....the length of the "serifs" make it appear that the top stroke of the first letter is an "arm" instead of a regular "serif" ? .....So if the first letter is an "F" instead of a "T" it could be "F.R." The image is located in Jacksonville Florida. If it is a "native" image (not imported from elsewhere) possibly "Florida Rangers"? or "Florida Rifles"

I believe if it is in fact an FR its the 1st Florida Reserve. The Florida rangers were Cav.

Back