Impressions Trying out some Camping... advice on adding to my gear?

Ok, so for Hale Farm this year I am planning on trying out a spot of camping. I’m not looking to buy a tent or anything super expensive if I wind up deciding it’s not for me. But I also don’t intend to impose too much on whatever people I do wind up bunking with for the night (likely the 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery A) so I do need some camping equipment.

So, from what I know already and what I have heard from others, I am thinking of picking up both a wool blanket & a gum blanket for sleeping, and possibly also a sleeping cap. I may experiment with making a blanket roll with these, too. Any other suggestions?

Also does anyone have a Fort Scott Sutler blanket and do you like it?

Are you looking to go toward mainstream or campaign style camping? A good gum blanket and a good quality blanket is a good place to start. I'd go with a poncho vs. straight gum blanket, it's a very versatile thing to have. I'm away from home so only have my phone and not good at linking stuff with it but if you look up on YouTube Civil War Digital Digest they have a great video on making your bedroll and also a couple of good blanket videos that will be helpful to you.

Thanks, I’ll have to check those out! Yeah I think with my diabetes and the medical needs I’ll be heading in a more mainstream direction? From what I have heard Hale Farm is pretty mainstream, and I am not a hugely outdoorsy person, so there is that to consider too. I’ll be borrowing a tent most likely, so I just want to get my sleeping stuff squared away as even if I decide that it’s not for me in the future it would make good display items (and I’ve never said no to a good wool blanket!).

I am now looking at blankets from Ft Scott Sutlers and am debating what blanket type I want? There is the choice of brown red-blue stripes, tan no stripes , dark blue with red stripes, and grey with black stripes. All seem to be good choices, although the grey-black is said to be a “Emergency Blanket of 1861” which would be more federal but only weighs 2.5 lb which is apparently half what regulations dictate, it’s not clear if that is so for all their blankets? Any suggestions on what I should get?

Yeah... no. I’m not crazy enough to spend $230 on a wool blanket I may only use a couple times a year. Not only is that out of my price range by a good bit, but that’s higher than the going price of similar blankets on the used market. Hell, I’ve seen original civilian blankets that are going for like 1/2 that price.

Grey and tan were common issue blankets across all the branches, so I would go with one of those choices. Hale Farm is pretty civilized as far as camping conditions go - flat and grassy. It will probably be warm at night, possibly a little chilly towards dawn. I've camped in one blanket there and been comfortable, although having a second is always a good thing. Enjoy!

Back