Trivia Game Rules reposted 08-15-09

Status
Not open for further replies.

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
I think it's time the rules are reposted.

Trivia Game - Rules

Every couple of games, I put in a new thread with the rules, so that the rules for the game don’t scroll off the bottom of the page. The rules are basically unchanged from last time.

Here are the rules for Game.

1. Each Saturday, I will post the five questions for the week.

2. Players are allowed one week to answer all five questions. You are free to use any available resources to help you find the answers.

3. Responses should be posted no later than 6 PM Eastern Time on the Saturday of the weekend following the weekend when the questions are posted.

4. Post your answers just like you would do an ordinary post in an ordinary thread (click on 'Post Reply', enter your answers (and check them twice?), then click on 'Submit Reply') You won't see your post, but don't worry about that, neither will anyone else but me. To make it easier for me, please put the responses to all five questions in a single post, rather than making separate posts to answer each question individually.

5. Correct responses to all questions will be worth one point each. I will post a weekly scoreboard update, showing everybody's scores to date, after each week's responses have been graded.

6. If I mark an answer incorrect and you believe it was correct, you may appeal my decision, but you must cite a source showing that your answer was correct. (Additionally, if the source you cite is found to be erroneous by other overwhelming evidence or by my omniscience, your appeal will be denied.) Appeals must be posted to the WBTS Trivia Game message board by 6 PM (EST or EDT) of the Tuesday following the Saturday when the original responses were due.

7. (Multiple-answer rule) If I ask a question calling for a multiple-part answer, I will try to make that as clear as possible. If the question does not clearly indicate that a multiple-part answer is required, you should assume that I am expecting one and only one answer.

I know from experience that some of you people are very knowledgeable and/or resourceful and that there may be occasions when you realize that, even though I’m expecting one answer to a question, in fact there is more than one correct answer. The problem is that if, for example, someone posts two answers and I don’t know that the second one is right, I have to ask myself, “Does this person know that both answers are correct – or does he know that one or the other is correct but isn’t sure which one, and is just hoping that, if he posts both, I’ll give him credit?”

I don’t want to tell you that you must submit only one answer, even if you know that more than one is correct, because that would rob us all of the opportunity to share in your knowledge. But neither do I want to give credit to somebody who gives me two answers, one of which is right and the other of which is wrong.

So, if I ask a one-answer question and you want to post more than one answer, please post not only your answers, but also the source or sources supporting each answer. That way, I know up front that I can give you credit for your response, and we won’t have to wait and go through the appeals process (Rule 6).

Appeals will still be allowed, but I’d prefer to avoid them as much as possible, because they do slow up the scoring process.

8. The game will last six weeks. The person with the most points at the end of the sixth week will be the winner.

8a. The 'winner' of the game is a ceremonial thing, you've beat the competition, and that's admirable. But because I want all players to be rewarded for their participation, game winners may not always be prize winners (see rule #10 and WBTS Trivia Notes).

9) Clarifications: Players may ask for clarification about questions up and until the Tuesday (6 PM) following the posting of that week's questions (see # 6). Players may always amend/change their answers up until the end time of the game. Those who may like to post their answers early would be advised to check for clarifications before the end of the week.

9b.) Corrections: As I make up these questions myself, I have done, and probably will do make a mistake in a question from time to time, whether a typo or of a factual nature. (I try to get the questions out on time on Saturday, and occasionally slip up.) If after posting the questions, I find I have erred, I may make a correction to a question. I will follow the "following Tuesday rule", and not make a correction after 6 PM of the following Tuesday (see # 6). Corrections will be posted, and any players who have already submitted answers will be notified by PM of the correction. Players may always amend/change their answers up until the end time of the game. Those who may like to post their answers early would be advised to check for corrections before the end of the week.

10. Prizes. A prize (of some sort) will be awarded the continually participating player with the highest score for the game after six weeks, except that players who have previously have been awarded a prize will not qualify till every continually participating* player has won a prize in complete cycle of games. (These are primarily a reward for playing the game, but the early winners get the earliest crack at the prize list from which to choose.)

* A continually participating player is one who has played a least 1 complete game.

Note that we are currently operating under a two-division scoring structure, with the First Division consisting of our “All-Stars,” those regularly participating players who have achieved the highest score in any game, and the Second Division consisting of all other players. Under this system, there will be two winners for each game.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you have about the game.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back