Trivia Game # 47 - Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator

No players have summited questions, so your stuck with all mine.

Here are the questions for Week 3 of Game # 47

11. Name the four Confederate generals who were mortally wounded at Gettysburg.

12. This combative politician was a native of Virginia, but moved around a lot. He was a lawyer and newspaper editor in Alabama, then did the same in Mississippi where he also served in national and state offices. He visited Texas and wrote a history of that state. He moved to California for a time before returning to Mississippi. He subsequently moved to Tennessee where he was elected to Congress, where he was later voted to be expelled. His next moves were to Canada, London, Washington D.C., and New Orleans. His last move was back to Tennessee where he died. Name him.

13. The 100th __________ Volunteer Infantry had an unusual geometrically flavored nickname. What is the name of the missing Northern state, and what was the nickname, and why did the regiment have that nickname?

14. He was expelled from a military school when he challenged his instructor to a duel over a classroom dispute. He later served under that former instructor, and eventually became the commander of the brigade which was named for that former instructor.
Name this general (not the instructor) and the name of the brigade.

EXTRA CREDIT (one extra point): What very important distinction differed this commander from all the other appointed commanders of the brigade, as an independent unit?

15. This actor, who was the great-grandson of one of Abraham Lincoln’s cabinet members, played a Union soldier in a motion picture in which he co-starred with Elizabeth Taylor. Name the actor.

Answers are due by 6pm (eastern) on July 28. Good luck!

Thanks Sam this is fun , hard but fun.
Susan:cannon:

11. Name the four Confederate generals who were mortally wounded at Gettysburg. Semmes, Barksdale, Pender, and Armistead. </B>

12. This combative politician was a native of Virginia, but moved around a lot. He was a lawyer and newspaper editor in Alabama, then did the same in Mississippi where he also served in national and state offices. He visited Texas and wrote a history of that state. He moved to California for a time before returning to Mississippi. He subsequently moved to Tennessee where he was elected to Congress, where he was later voted to be expelled. His next moves were to Canada, London, Washington D.C., and New Orleans. His last move was back to Tennessee where he died. Name him. Henry S. Foote tricky it was Confederate Congress!!!!
13. The 100th __________ Volunteer Infantry had an unusual geometrically flavored nickname. What is the name of the missing Northern state, and what was the nickname, and why did the regiment have that nickname?
100th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Roundheads.Winfield Scott gave them the nickname because supposedly they were to be like the Roundheads of England. </B> </B>
14. He was expelled from a military school when he challenged his instructor to a duel over a classroom dispute. He later served under that former instructor, and eventually became the commander of the brigade which was named for that former instructor.
Name this general (not the instructor) and the name of the brigade. James A Walker ,Stonewall brigade

EXTRA CREDIT (one extra point): What very important distinction differed this commander from all the other appointed commanders of the brigade, as an independent unit?Walker was only commander of the Stonewall Brigade not killed in the Civil War

15. This actor, who was the great-grandson of one of Abraham Lincoln’s cabinet members, played a Union soldier in a motion picture in which he co-starred with Elizabeth Taylor. Name the actor. Actor Montgomery Cliff movie Raintree County Great grandfather Montgomery Blair Lincoln's Post Master General

11. Semmes, Barksdale, Pender and Armistead.
12. Henry Stuart Foote
13. Pennsylvania, Roundheads, name suggested by Winfield Scott for the Cromwellian era victors over the cavaliers. Ironic, since so many of the southern elite compared themselves to the cavaliers and northerners to the roundheads.
14. James A. Walker, Stonewall Brigade, he was the only commander of that brigade to live through the war.
15. Montgomery Clift, great-grandson of Montgomery Blair.

Hopefully the answers

No players have summited questions, so your stuck with all mine.

Here are the questions for Week 3 of Game # 47

11. Name the four Confederate generals who were mortally wounded at Gettysburg.

William D. Pender
Paul J. Semmes
Richard B. Garnett INCORRECT
Lewis A. Armisted

12. This combative politician was a native of Virginia, but moved around a lot. He was a lawyer and newspaper editor in Alabama, then did the same in Mississippi where he also served in national and state offices. He visited Texas and wrote a history of that state. He moved to California for a time before returning to Mississippi. He subsequently moved to Tennessee where he was elected to Congress, where he was later voted to be expelled. His next moves were to Canada, London, Washington D.C., and New Orleans. His last move was back to Tennessee where he died. Name him.

Henry S. Foote

Pennsylvania, 'Round Head Regiment’ – it was apparently given this nickname because the men came from Washington, Westmoreland, Beaver, Lawrence, Butler, and Mercer Counties, 'from among the descendants of the Covenanters and of the men who had followed Cromwell, whose leading characteristics had been a devotion to the principles of liberty of person and conscience.'

The ‘Round Head’ terminology being used to invoke a reference to supporters of Parliament during the English Civil War.

Name this general (not the instructor) and the name of the brigade.

James A. Walker, Stonewall Brigade

EXTRA CREDIT (one extra point): What very important distinction differed this commander from all the other appointed commanders of the brigade, as an independent unit?

In the attack of Hancock’s II (US) Corps all but 200 men of the brigade were killed or were among the 6,080 captured. Johnson, the division commander, and Walker, who was seriously wounded, were among the prisoners. This ended the existence of the brigade [StoneWall Brigdade] as a unit. Its surviving members were consolidated into one regiment. (I think this is what you're looking for, its under his command that it will never be a brigade sized unit again?) INCORRECT

15. This actor, who was the great-grandson of one of Abraham Lincoln’s cabinet members, played a Union soldier in a motion picture in which he co-starred with Elizabeth Taylor. Name the actor.

Montgomery Clift

Answers are due by 6pm (eastern) on July 28. Good luck!

11. Paul Semmes
William Pender
William Barksdale
Lewis Armistead

12.William Gannaway Brownlow INCORRECT

13. The 100th Pennsylvania was nicknamed the "Roundheads." The were named that by General Scott because they were loyal to the U.S. Goverment like the "Roundheads" were loyal to the English Parliment during the English Civil War.

14. James Walker was the student who had a falling out with his instucter. The brigade he would take over from his former instructer was the Stonewall Brigade.

He differed from the other Stonewall Brigade commanders in that he was the only one of them to survive the war.

15. James Read INCORRECT

11) Barksdale, Armistead, Garnett, Semmes INCORRECT

12) Henry S Foote

13) 100th Pennsylvania were known as 'The Roundheads'. They were said to be descendants of those who had followed Cromwell.

14) James A Walker. The Stonewall Brigade.

Walker was the only commander not to have graduated from a military academy, although he was later awarded his diploma from the VMI. INCORRECT

15) Montgomery Clift

11. Paul Jones Semmes, Lewis A. Armistead, William Dorsey Pender, William Barksdale
12. Sam Houston INCORRECT

13. 100th Pennsylvania Roundheads, Western Pennsylvania, particularly Mercer and Lawrence counties, had been settled by predominantly Scotch-Irish immigrants, primarily of Presbyterian faith. These were largely descendants of the supporters of the Scottish National Covenant of 1638. They also apparently felt some allegiance to Cromwell and his followers, the Roundheads, so named by the Cavaliers during the English Civil War of 1660. The degree of allegiance of the" Covenanters" to Cromwell is unknown, and also is somewhat suspect.

14. James Walker, Stonewall Brigade, served the longest duration as its commanding officer 363 days

[Texaswildcat PMed me the following as a supplement to the Extra Credit question]

Yesterday, 03:04 PM
texaswildcat
Corporal (250+ posts)

Re: Extra Credit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he was the only commander of the stonewall brigade to survive the war

(Clean up your Private Messages Folders, Tex)

15. Montgomery Clift

Answers for trivia game # 47 week #3

#11 William D. Pender , Paul J . Semmes , Richard B . Garnett , Lewis A . Arimstead INCORRECT

#12 Henry S. Foote

#13 The 100th Pennsylvania , Nickname Roundheads

The regiment was recruited in the southwest counties of Pennsylvania , originally settled by the Roundheads of the English Revolution , when Captain Leasure applied to raise the regiment GeneralScott gave the ok and said "We will call them the Roundheads .

#14 James A . Walker , The Stonewall Brigade

He was the only officer who ever commanded the Stonewall Brigade to survied the war .

#15 Montgomery Clift

11. Lewis Armistead, Richard B. Garnett, William Dorsey Pender, William Barksdale INCORRECT
12. incorrect INCORRECT
13. Pennsylvania, roundheads
“Descendants of those who had followed Cromwell…whose leading charactistics had been a devotion to the principles of liberty of person and of conscience”
14. James Alexander Walker, Stonewall Jackson Brigade
He was the last commander, and was captured (at Spotsylvania) INCORRECT (on Extra Credit)
15. Montgomery Clift

11- Four mortally wounded CSA generals at Gettysburg- Maj Genl Dorsey Pender, Brig Genl William Barksdale, Brig Genl Paul Semmes, Brig Genl Lewis Armistead.

If I'm reading the question aright, Maj Genl Richard Garnett would not be amongst the numbered here because his cause of death is unknown for certain except that nothing more is known of him and it is generally accepted he was killed outright in Pickett's Charge. My best guess is that he was pulverized by a Union artillery blast and unidentifiable on the field;

12- The combative politician- Henry Stuart Foote;

13- The 100th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry- known as the Roundheads, so named by General Scott when Captain Leasure petitioned Secretary of War Cameron to form a regiment of 'men who will hold slavery to be a sin against God and a crime against humanity and will carry their Bibles into battle,' thus General Scott's (who was present) allusion to Cromwell's holy warriors- the Roundheads;

14- Brig Genl James Alexander Walker and the Stonewall Brigade.

Extra Credit- Guessing- that Walker was the only appointed commander not killed in the war- he got off dangerously injured and captured at Spottsylvania Court House;

15- Montgomery Clift plays John Wickliffe Shawnessy, married to Southern belle Susanna Drake (Elizabeth Taylor) in Raintree County, but leaves to fight for the Union. Edward Motgomery Clift- he was given his middle name in honor of his great grandfather, Lincoln's Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair.

11. William Barksdale
Lewis Armistead
Paul J. Semmes
William D. Pender

12. Henry Stuart Foote

13. 100th Pennsylvania Infantry Reg. "Roundheads"
As most of the soldiers were of Scotch-Irish descent, Gen. Winfield Scott suggested the name "Roundheads", which had been given to the Scotch-Irish followers of Cromwell during the English Civil War

14. James A. Walker, "Stonewall Brigade"

All other commanders of the "Stonewall Brigade" (as an independent unit) were killed in action.

15. Montgomery Clift

11. Paul Semmes, Lewis Armistead, William Barksdale, and William Pender

12. Roger Pryor INCORRECT

13. The 100th Pennsylvania was known as the Roundheads. General Winfield Scott gave them the name in honor of the Roundhead faction during the English Civil War.

14. James A. Walker and the Stonewall Brigade [No Extra Credit answer]

15. Montgomery Clift

The answers to the questions for Week 3:

11. Lewis Addison Armistead
William Barksdale
William Dorsey Pender
Paul Jones Semmes

12. Henry Stuart Foote
(A combative sort, he is reputed to have participated in several duels. While a senator he came to blows with fellow senator Jefferson Davis, who he subsequently defeated in a Mississippi race for Governor, and, most famously, he drew a pistol on another fellow senator, Thomas Hart Benton, on the floor of the Senate. He was arrested by Confederate authorities in early 1865 while attempting to cross enemy lines for a private peace mission in early 1865.)
I am surprised that I have not been able to find a biography of this man, as he would appear to have lived a life sufficiently eventful to inspire a book.

13. Pennsylvania, Roundheads (or Round Heads)

The One Hundredth, or as it was more commonly known, the Round Head Regiment, was recruited in the south-western counties of the State, originally settled by the Round Heads of the English Revolution, and by Scotch Irish Covenanters. Daniel Leasure, a citizen of New Castle, who had since 1832 been connected either as private or an officer with the State militia, and who, during the three months' campaign, had served as Captain and Adjutant of the Twelfth Regiment, received authority from the Secretary of War, under date of August 6, 1861, to recruit a regiment of infantry
from among the descendants of the Covenanters and of the men who had followed Cromwell, whose leading characteristics had been a devotion to the
principles of liberty of person and of conscience.

14. James Alexander Walker.

EXTRA CREDIT: He survived the war.
[I must confess that it was tough to word the question. By "very important" I guess I meant "a matter of life or death", but I couldn't very well phrase it that way, could I? I did get a few responses which did in some way distinguish Walker from the others: that he was the longest serving, the last, that he was captured, etc.; so for these I did PM the players to try to come up with something more important. This presented me with somewhat of an ethical dilemma, so I will try to avoid such ambiguity in the future.]

15. Montgomery Clift was the great-grandson of Postmaster General Montgomery Blair. He costarred with Taylor in the GWTW wannabe film Raintree County

Thanks to all, especially Sockknitter, who probably would have done better had she not been traveling the country and was only able to research the questions and respond by finding Wi-Fi access along the way.

Four perfect scores this week. Congratulations.

If I've calculated correctly, here are the scores at the end of Week 3:

FIRST DIVISION

Sarladaise - 10
ewc - 6

SECOND DIVISION

Susan_Sweet - 14
cw1865 - 12
Blockaderunner - 11
ole - 10
sockknitter - 9
bgl1952 - 8
texaswildcat - 8
hoosier - 8
Dred - 7
20thmass - 4
rivrrat - 4
gary - 2
rad2duhbone - 1

Thanks again. See you next week!

sam

Garnett is incorrect?

Richard Brooke Garnett (November 21, 1817July 3, 1863) was a career U.S. Army officer and a Confederate general in the American Civil War, killed during Pickett's Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg.

Are you playing word games on 'mortally wounded', as in you think there needs to be a lingering. You can be mortally wounded by a guillotine

mortally - in such a manner that death ensues

Steve Irwin, better known as the 'Crocodile Hunter', was mortally wounded by a stingray while diving off the north Queensland coast during the filming of a documentary called 'The Ocean's Deadliest'.

cw1865,

You suggest that my question/answer is "playing word games". I disagree.

Words are important, and the words I used in my question were meant specifically to distinguish those "mortally wounded", from those killed otherwise.

Ample documentation exists to the evidence that the generals I cited were "mortally wounded'.

If you can cite any documentation that Garnett was "mortally wounded", I will be happy to grant your appeal.

On separate note, I must complement you, as you are the first, to my knowledge, to connect the "'Crocodile Hunter" to the American Civil War.

-

Mortally

I was just showing mortally wounded in context. Irwin was hit with the stingray and was 'mortally wounded' though he was killed instantly.

1 : in a deadly or fatal manner : to death <mortally wounded>

You don't need to linger.

Appeal on Garnett

As no one has so far submitted any creditable source that Richard B. Garnett was "mortally wounded" at Gettysburg, I expect (hope) this will be my last post on the issue.

From players' responses, only 4 of 11 used Garnett as one of those generals. (Collective wisdom?)

(I am somewhat surprised that no one used James J. Pettigrew, who by some sources is deemed "mortally wounded" at Gettysburg. While Pettigrew was "mortally wounded", it was at Falling waters on July 14, and so I expected could be excluded form the answer.)

Well, I understand that the appeal was based on the premise that "mortally wounded" meant exactly the same as "killed".

One can cherry pick definitions of "mortally" and here is a website which links to several, take your pick.

http://www.onelook.com:80/?w=mortally&last=motally&loc=spell1

My favorites are these:

"A Mortal Wound is an injury from battle or an accident which directly leads to the death of an individual. Death is not instantaneous, but follows the injury. It is lethal."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortally_wounded

and

"mortally wounded: wounded to extent that death follows"

from http://www.nps.gov/archive/vick/eduguide/chp_7/cwterms.htm

which is from the Vicksburg National Military Park website.

Then there are the Orders of Battle, the most comprehensive and best sourced I have found on Gettysburg being this one:

http://www.gdg.org/Research/OOB/EicherOOB.htm

in which abbreviations are used to indicate such things a "killed", "captured", "mortally wounded", etc. Clearly there were distinctions made here. See "mw" for my generals and "k" for Garnett.

Lastly, I will submit this from the Official Records:

General Longstreet's report on the battle, in which he clearly distinguishes the fates of those under his command; Barksdale, Garnett, and Semmes.

from "No. 430. Report of Lieutenant General James Longstreet, C. S. Army, commanding First Army Corps."

"I desire to mention the following-named officers as among those most distinguished for the exhibition of great gallantry and skill, viz: Major-Generals Pickett, Hood, and Trimble, the two latter severely wounded; Kemper, very seriously wounded; Semmes, severely wounded, and since died of his wounds; Pettigrew, slightly wounded; Kershaw, Law, and G. T. Anderson, the last severely wounded
Brigadier-General Barksdale was mortally wounded in the attack on the evening of the 2d, while bravely leading his brigade in the assault."
"Brig. General R. B. Garnett was killed while gallantly leading his brigade in the assault upon the enemy's position upon the Cemetery Hill."

(OR Ser.1 Vol. 27 Part 2 pages 357-363)

see http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/sources/recordView.cfm?Content=044/0357

Now, as I said, if anyone can furnish credible evidence that Garnett was "mortally wounded", I will award the point for the question.

I do not discourage appeals, but expect solid documentation for the foundation of the appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back