Trivia Game # 44 - Rules

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Every couple of games, I put in a new thread with the rules, so that the rules for the game don’t scroll off the bottom of the page. The rules are basically unchanged from 2006.

Here are the rules for Game # 44.

1. Each Saturday, I will post the five questions for the week.

2. Players are allowed one week to answer all five questions. You are free to use any available resources to help you find the answers.

3. Responses should be posted no later than 6 PM Eastern Time on the Saturday of the weekend following the weekend when the questions are posted.

4. To make it easier for me, please put the responses to all five questions in a single post, rather than making separate posts to answer each question individually.

5. Correct responses to the first four questions each week will be worth one point each and a correct answer to the fifth question will be worth two points. I will post a weekly scoreboard update, showing everybody's scores to date, after each week's responses have been graded.

6. If I mark an answer incorrect and you believe it was correct, you may appeal my decision, but you must cite a source showing that your answer was correct. Appeals must be posted to the WBTS Trivia Game message board by 6 PM of the Tuesday following the Saturday when the original responses were due.

7. (Multiple-answer rule) As a general rule, most of my questions ask for one and only one answer. If I ask a question calling for a multiple-part answer, I will try to make that as clear as possible. If the question does not clearly indicate that a multiple-part answer is required, you should assume that I am expecting one and only one answer, because, as far as I know, there is only one correct answer.

I know from experience that some of you people are very knowledgeable and that there may be occasions when you realize that, even though I’m expecting one answer to a question, in fact there is more than one correct answer.The problem is that if, for example, someone posts two answers and I don’t know that the second one is right, I have to ask myself, “Does this person know that both answers are correct – or does he know that one or the other is correct but isn’t sure which one, and is just hoping that, if he posts both, I’ll give him credit?”

I don’t want to tell you that you must submit only one answer, even if you know that more than one is correct, because that would rob us all of the opportunity to share in your knowledge. But neither do I want to give credit to somebody who gives me two answers, one of which is right and the other of which is wrong.

So, if I ask a one-answer question and you want to post more than one answer, please post not only your answers, but also the source or sources supporting each answer. That way, I know up front that I can give you credit for your response, and we won’t have to wait and go through the appeals process (Rule 6).

Appeals will still be allowed, but I’d prefer to avoid them as much as possible, because they do slow up the scoring process.

8. The game will last six weeks. The person with the most points at the end of the sixth week will be the winner.

Note that we are currently operating under a two-division scoring structure, with the First Division consisting of our “All-Stars,” those who have achieved a perfect score of 36 points in two or more past games, and the Second Division consisting of all other players. Under this system, there will be two winners for each game.

Questions for Week 1 of Game # 44 will be posted on Saturday, January 6, 2007.

Back