Trivia Game # 43 - Week 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Here are the questions for Week 6, the final week of Game # 43:

26. What was Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard’s first major accomplishment in the Civil War?

27. The sunken road that became known as Bloody Lane was near what Maryland town?

28. What was the original working title of the movie “Gettysburg”?

29. The Army of Tennessee and the Army of the Tennessee were both Civil War armies. Which was a Union army and which was Confederate, and what was each named after? (Your answer must cite two things about each of the two armies: (1) whether it was Union or Confederate and (2) what it was named for.)

30. (Two point question) What structure, completed in 1897, stands 150 feet tall and is still the largest mausoleum in the United States? (Yes, this question does have a connection to the Civil War.)

Answers to the questions for Week 6 will be due by 6 PM EST on Saturday, Dec. 16.

Good luck!

26. As commander of the Confederate forces at Charleston, SC., he ordered the firing on Fort Sumter, which is commonly acknowledged as the beginning of that war.

27. This must be Sharpsburg.

28. "The Killer Angels" (after the book on which the film was based)

29. The Army of Tennessee: Confederate, named for the state of Tennessee
The Army of the Tennessee: Union, named for the Tennessee River.

30. The General Grant National Memorial (commonly referred to as 'Grant's Tomb') in new York City.

Question 30: By calling it a mausoleum, do you mean it does or did contain a body?
Ole

26. In April of 1861 P.G.T. Bearegard in command of the provisional Confederate forces at Charleston, S.C. obtained the surrender of the Union Garrison at Fort Sumter

27.Sharpsburg

28.The Killer Angels

29.The Army of Tennessee was Confederate named after the State of Tennessee; The Army of The Tennessee was Union named after the Tennessee River.

30. Grant's Tomb

I know its too late to get in the game,but just for the hell of it.

26. Bombardment of Fort Sumter.

27. Antietam. INCORRECT

28. Haven't the foggiest. NO ANSWER

29. Army of Tennessee was rebel and was named after the state. Army of the Tennessee was Union and named after the Tennessee River.

30. Washington Monument. SEE CORRECTION

Cedarstripper

Clarification on Question 30

Since there may be many different dictionaries with many slightly different definitions of the term "mausoleum," I would ask players to do the following:

Go to www.infoplease.com/dictionary

Look up the definition of “mausoleum.”

You should find four definitions. Take the first of the four.

hoosier said:
30. (Two point question) What structure, completed in 1897, stands 150 feet tall and is still the largest mausoleum in the United States? (Yes, this question does have a connection to the Civil War.)

Please change my answer to Grant's Tomb. I was shooting from the hip a little too fast. CORRECT

Thanks,
Cearstripper

26. He oversaw the investment of Fort Sumter and accepted its surrender.
27. Sharpsburg, MD
28.The Killer Angels
29. The Army of Tennesee was the CSA army and named after the state. The Army of THE Tennessee was the Union army, named after the river (the Tennessee River).
30. It is Grant's Tomb, holding two bodies! It was one of the main things I had to see in NYC my first trip there.

26. NO ANSWER

27. Sharpsburg

28. Killer Angels

29. Army of Tennesse was Confederate army named for the state it operated in. Army of the Tennesse was Union army named for the Tennessee river.

30. Grant's Tomb

1. Fired the first shot at Fort Sumter

2. Sharpsburg

3. The Killer Angels

4. Confederate Army of Tennessee is named after the State of Tennessee. Army of the Tennessee, Union, named for the Tennessee River.

5. Grant’s Tomb

26. Surrender of Fort Sumter
27. Sharpsburg, MD
28. The Killer Angels
29. Army of Tennessee - CSA - named after the state
Army of the Tennessee - USA - named after the Tennessee River
30. Grant's Tomb

Welcome to our newest player, Cedarstripper. You joined us just in time to take a nice three-week furlough. Hope you’ll rejoin us when the game resumes in January.

Three huzzahs and a tiger for SamGrant, winner of the First Division and overall winner of Game # 43 with a perfect score of 36 points. Congratulations also go to Miss Markie, who missed only one question over the six weeks and is the winner of the Second Division with a score of 35 points, one ahead of Rad2duhbone53.

Here are the answers to the questions for Week 6:

26. I was looking for the key words Fort Sumter here. We could argue for a long time about whether Beauregard’s first “major” accomplishment was the firing on Fort Sumter or the capture of said fort, so I accepted both answers.

27. Bloody Lane was located near the town of Sharpsburg, MD. (Those of the Confederate persuasion might have found this question a bit easier than us Yanks who think of the battle as Antietam.)

28. When production started, the working title of the movie was “The Killer Angels,” after the Michael Shaara book on which the movie was based.

29. The Army of Tennessee was Confederate and was named for the state. The Army of the Tennessee was Union and was named for the river.

30. The largest mausoleum in the United States is Grant’s Tomb in New York City.

Final scores for Game # 43:

FIRST DIVISION

SamGrant 36
Sarladaise 9

SECOND DIVISION

Miss Markie 35
Rad2duhbone53 34
Texaswildcat 27
ewc 20
Calicoboy 15
Jamieva 9
RivrRat 5
Ginefur4 4
Cedarstripper 4
Subace914 3

The consensus of opinion was decidedly in favor of taking a holiday break and resuming the trivia game in January, so that’s what we’ll do. I wish all our players very happy holidays (go easy on the eggnog, though). The trivia game will resume with Week 1 of Game # 44 beginning on Saturday, January 6.

Thanks for the congrats, Mr. Rad, and I know that I will be facing a tough challenge in the next year!

Merry Christmas to all my friends here, and a great 2007 for all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back