Trivia Game # 42 - Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Here are the questions for Week 2 of Game # 42.

6. What was “chuck-o-luck?”

7. At his Vice-Presidential inauguration in 1865, an inebriated Andrew Johnson delivered a largely incoherent speech. What legitimate reason did Johnson have for drinking some (though perhaps not quite so much) whiskey before delivering his speech?

8. What Confederate general and relative of a French countess was lost at Gettysburg?

9. What key Mississippi River island fortification fell to Federal forces on April 7, 1862?

10. (Two point question) In whose bed did Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard sleep the night after the first day of battle at Shiloh?

Answers to the questions for Week 2 will be due by 6 PM EDT on Saturday, October 7.

Good luck!

George- in question 8, do you mean 'lost' as in lost his way, or lost to the Confederacy through casualty? Or do you mean to make us figure it out and hunt around a bit more? regards, ed

6. A dice game - with 3 dice (hope you don't want to know all the rules!)

7. Supposedly he had suffered from Typhoid Fever

8. Richard Brooke Garnett

9. Island 10

10. Sherman's tent near by Shiloh Church

Clarification on question 8

The word "lost" in question 8 means "lost to the Confederacy through casualty."

6. a dice game

7. to alleve typhoid fever

8. Lewis Armistead INCORRECT

9. Island No. 10

10. General Sherman's bed

Jennifer Fore

6. A dice game played with three dice. A person covers on a board which numbers are said to appear on the dice

7. To deal with a cold INCORRECT

8. William Barksdale INCORRECT

9. Island Number 10

10. General William Tecumseh Sherman’s bed

6. A game of chance involving dice.

7. He was ill with typhoid fever.

8. NO MAS, NO MAS. But because a wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse and a guess is better than a blank space I'll say Richard Brooke Garnett.

9. Island # 10

10. William T. Sherman

6. a form of dice game

7.whiskey was used to numb a toothache INCORRECT

8.J. Pettigrew SEE CORRECTION

9.Island No. 10

10.Gen. William T. Sherman

Our number of participants was down a little bit this week. Hope the rest of our Week 1 players will rejoin us in the weeks to come.

After two weeks of play, SamGrant and Robert B. Condon are the only two players with perfect scores. Rad2duhbone53, after getting a correction posted in time, has taken the lead in the Second Division.

The answers to the questions for Week 2:

6. Chuck-o-luck was a dice game played extensively by Civil War soldiers.

7. He drank the whiskey for medicinal purposes, since he was recovering from the aftereffects of typhoid fever.

8. Gen. Richard B. Garnett, related to Countess Olympe de Gourges of France, was missing and presumed killed after Pickett’s Charge. His body was never found. (I chose the word “lost” very carefully when preparing this question.)

9. Island # 10, the principal Confederate fortification on the upper Mississippi, surrendered on that date to a Federal force commanded by Adm. Andrew H. Foote.

10. Beauregard, who had assumed command of the Confederate army at Shiloh after the death of Albert Sidney Johnston, slept in one of the captured Union camps – in William T. Sherman’s bed.

The scores after Week 2:

FIRST DIVISION

Robert B. Condon 12
SamGrant 12
Sarladaise 11

SECOND DIVISION

Rad2duhbone53 11
Ginefur4 10
Texaswildcat 8
20thMass 6
ewc 6
Miss Markie 6
Brandklipparen 5

Texaswildcat sent me a private message with a link to a source supporting his answer that Johnson's drinking was because he had a cold, so he gets credit for that answer and now has 9 points.

As indicated in the post above, Rad2duhbone53 has also indicated that he has a source supporting his answer that Johnson was suffering from a toothache (I guess the man had lots of problems). Unfortunately, I have not been able to make the link work on my ancient relic of a PC that I have at home. Tomorrow, when I have access to the considerably more powerful computer at my office, I'll try the link again. If I can make it work, then Rad2duhbone53 will get credit for his answer as well.

Now that I've been able to follow the link, I can verify that Rad2duhbone53 did, indeed, have a source stating that Johnson was suffering from a toothache, so he gets credit for that answer and increases his lead in the Second Division.

The revised scores at the end of Week 2:

FIRST DIVISION

Robert B. Condon 12
SamGrant 12
Sarladaise 11

SECOND DIVISION

Rad2duhbone53 12
Ginefur4 10
Texaswildcat 9
20thMass 6
ewc 6
Miss Markie 6
Brandklipparen 5

Robert B., the source for question 8 was a book from which I expect to glean numerous additional questions in weeks to come. For that reason, I would prefer not to name it.

If any of those who got the correct answer would care to let Robert B. know what your source was, feel free to post it here.

I understand, as you have invoked that position previously. This was one time where Lee's Lieutenants and Generals in Grey came up short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back