Trivia Game # 41 - Week 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Here are the questions for Week 4 of Game # 41.

16. What, other than a married woman who stayed at home, was a “housewife?”

17. Nine out of ten named conspirators thought to be involved in Lincoln’s assassination were arrested within two weeks, with four of them being hanged, but the tenth conspirator fled the country via Canada and England and was not arrested until some time later (in Alexandria, Egypt, of all places). Who was the tenth conspirator?

18. Name either of the Union cavalry regiments that took part in the capture of Jefferson Davis on May 10, 1865. (You may name both if you want to, but if you do, you must get them both right.)

19. What general was killed by a sharpshooter shortly after reassuring his men that “they couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance?”

20. (Two point question) On Fort Hill, west of the city of Pulaski, TN, some of the original fortifications that the Union Army placed there during the Civil War can still be found. An officer in the 9th Indiana Cavalry (who would eventually found a well-known corporation) was stationed there at one time and the fort was temporarily named for him in late 1864. Who was this officer?

Thanks to SamGrant (who will be out of town and unable to participate in the game this week) and Richard (who looks in on the game but has yet to participate) for supplying a couple of the questions this week.

Answers to the questions for Week 4 will be due by 6 PM EDT on Saturday, September 9.

Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome back! School's in session, so the sojourns will all have to be here for a while. :wink:

16. a small sewing kit that a soldier would carry with him.
17. John Surratt, Mary Surratt's son (very interesting story here)
18. the 4th Michigan Cav. nearly collided with the 1st Wisconsin Cav.!
19. "Uncle" John Sedgewick (will you count that wrong if I don't put General?)
20. Colonel Eli Lilly, who has the most impressive grave in Indianapolis (IMHO). And yes, the collector of cemeteries that I am, I have visited him!

16. soldier's sewing kit

17. John Surratt Jr.

18.Col. Pritchard's Fourth Michigan Cavalry

19. General John Sedgewick

20. Col. Eli Lilly

16. A sewing kit

17. John Surratt

18. 4th Michigan Cavalry

19. General John Sedgwick

20. Colonel Eli Lilly

1. sewing kit for soldiers to mend their clothes

2. john harrison surratt

3. 4th Michigan Cavalry

4. General John Sedgwick

5. Col. George W. Jackson INCORRECT

16- Housewife was a small kit of sewing materials, thread, needles, etc for simple mending carried by soldiers in the field. Usually provided for them by the housewives and folks at home;

17- 10th conspirator- John Surratt;

18- one of them was the 4th Michigan Cavalry;

19- US Maj Genl John Sedgwick, commander of the VI Corps;

20- Lt Colonel Eli Lilly who went on to found the pharmaceutical giant.

After four weeks of play in Game # 41, I still haven’t been able to slip anything past 20th Mass, Sarladaise, or ewc, all of whom remain tied for the lead in the Second Division with perfect scores of 24 points each.

In the First Division, Robert B. Condon has taken the lead over SamGrant, who did not submit any responses this week. :grant: told me last week that he would be traveling in the wilds of Northern Michigan and would not be able to participate in the game this week. (I guess he didn't want us to think he’s gone back on the bottle.) :D

Here are the answers to the questions for Week 4.

16. A housewife was a sewing kit containing needles and thread, carried by most soldiers.

17. The tenth conspirator was John Harrison Surratt, Jr. Surratt was tried as an accomplice in the murder of Lincoln, but the trial resulted in a hung jury. He was retried on a charge of treason, but that case was eventually dismissed amidst various judicial procedures.

18. The 4th Michigan and the 1st Wisconsin were involved in Davis’ capture.

19. John Sedgwick, commander of the Union VI Corps, at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House made this lamentably inaccurate statement.

20. The officer in question was Eli Lilly. The fort was renamed for him after the garrison received news of Lilly’s capture by Nathan Bedford Forrest. Lilly survived the war, and in 1876 in Indianapolis, founded the pharmaceutical company that still bears his name.

The scores at the end of Week 4:

FIRST DIVISION

Robert B. Condon 22
SamGrant 18
Aggie80 5

SECOND DIVISION

20th Mass 24
ewc 24
Sarladaise 24
Rad2duhbone53 23
Texaswildcat 17
Miss Markie 12