Trivia Game # 39 - Week 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Here are the questions for Week 6, the final week of Game # 39.

26. Following the Union defeat at the Battle of Ball’s Bluff, what Congressional committee was set up to look into the doings of U.S. generals?

27. What October 1862 battle resulted in Braxton Bragg’s decision to conclude his advance into Kentucky and withdraw to Tennessee?

28. On July 29, 1862, vessel #290 built by the Laird brothers steamed out of Liverpool on its maiden voyage. By what name would this vessel ultimately be known?

29. What was “grabbling?”

30. (Two point question) In what very distinguished setting were Elida Rumsey and John Fowle married in 1862?

Answers to the questions for Week 6 will be due by 6 PM Saturday, July 1.

Good luck!

and again........

26.Congressional joint Committee on the Conduct of the War

27. The Battle of Perryville

28.The Alabama

29. A form of fishing in which you would wait for Catfish to swim in shallow water to spawn and then scoop them up out of the water with your hands.

30. The Hall of Representatives at Washington D.C.

1. Conduct of War

2. Battle of Perryville

3. The Alabama

4. The definition term : to scratch or search around with the hands, namely to catch fish by hands

5. They were married in the hospital gallery where a soldier called out for her to sing the Star Spangled Banner INCORRECT

26. Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War
27. Perryville
28. CSS Alabama
29. fishing with your hands
30. House of Representatives, Capitol, Washington

Have to take a hiatus from trivia as I am going on a 4-week vacation!

26. Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War

27. Perryville

28. C.S.S. Alabama

29. the art of fishing with one's hands

30. U.S. House of Representatives (SamGrant: were the Fire Zouaves still there to act as ushers?)

Answers for trivia game #39- week 6

#26 The Congressioal Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War

#27 Perryvill Oct . 8 , 1862

#28 C.S.S. Alabama

#29 Fishing with your hands

#30 Nation's Capitol [ White House ] INCORRECT

26- Ball's Bluff brought about the Radicals in Congress creating the Committee on the Conduct of the War;

27- Perryville;

28- what would become CSS Alabama;

29- Grabbling is the Southern art of catching catfish by hand, Frazer's novel Cold Mountain has a comical word picture of a bout of grabbling;

30- The wedding took place in the chamber of the House of Representatives in the Capitol building.

Jumpin' in with some guesses!

26. The Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War

27. Perryville

28. I am going with the CSS Shenandoah INCORRECT

29. fishing with your bare hands?

30. In the House of Representatives (the hall of representatives) and I believe they still are the only folks to have been married there.

Gary sent the following entry by private message.

1. Joint Congressional Committee on the Conduct of the War or the hanging committee for ginerals.

2. Perryville is the Oct. 1862 battle that led to Bragg’s withdrawl from Kentucky to East Tennesee.

3. Your mystery ship is the famous CSN Alabama.

4. Grabbling is catfishing by hand. You entice the catfish to bite your hand and then you wrestle with it to get it on land.

5. They were married on March 1, 1863 in the Hall of Representatives at Washington, D.C. Virtually all of the guestes in attendance were soldiers.

BTW, I've been so busy with the book project, I haven't had time to play. It's fun. Thank you.

Gary of CA

Welcome to Gary, our newest player. Now that you’ve had a week to warm up, I hope you join us again for Game # 40.

Robert B. Condon and SamGrant never faltered and finish as co-champions of the First Division for Game # 39 with perfect scores of 36 points each. Sarladaise comes in as the winner of the Second Division, also with a perfect score of 36 points. If she should get a perfect score again in a future game, she will earn promotion to the First Division.

Congratulations to all our winners and honorable mention to Texaswildcat, who got the first 29 questions right.

Here are the answers to the questions for Week 6.

26. Ball’s Bluff resulted in the establishment of the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War.

27. Bragg’s withdrawal came as a result of the Battle of Perryville.

28. Vessel # 290 would become the CSS Alabama.

29. Grabbling was the practice of using the hands to catch fish under roots and rocks – a common practice when food (and fishing tackle) was scarce during the war.

30. Rumsey and Rowle were married in the House of Representatives chamber (before a joint session of Congress, no less). Abraham Lincoln arranged this for Rumsey in honor of her humanitarian efforts and fund-raising on behalf of Union soldiers. I believe she was well known for her spirited renditions of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” though I’m not sure if she performed it at her wedding.

The final scores for Game # 39:

FIRST DIVISION

Robert B. Condon 36
SamGrant 36
Aggie80 4

SECOND DIVISION

Sarladaise 36
Texaswildcat 34
bgl1952 32
Rad2duhbone53 32
Traveller 25
Miss Markie 14