Trivia Game # 39 - Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Here are the questions for Week 3 of Game # 39.

11. Who was the owner of the boarding house to which Lincoln was carried after being shot at Ford’s Theater?

12. A 2005 Library of Congress Exhibit about an American poet contained a section titled “Wound Dresser in the Civil War.” Who was the poet?

13. What U.S. Congressman was captured by Confederates at the First Battle of Bull Run (Manassas)?

14. After its capture by Grant on July 4, 1863, in what year did the city of Vicksburg next officially celebrate Independence Day on July 4?

15. (Two point question) What Civil War general and graduate of the West Point Class of 1860 served as commander of the Philippine Expedition in the Spanish-American War and became the first Governor-General of the Philippines?

Answers to the questions for Week 3 will be due by 6 PM Saturday, June 10, 2006

Good luck!

and again........

11. William Petersen

12.Walt Whitman

13.Alfred Ely of New York

15. General Wesley Merritt

11- the William Peterson house;

12- the Wound Dresser would be Walt Whitman;

13- apparently US Rep Alfred Ely of NY could nt run as fast as the other merrymakers out of Washington at Bull Run that day and paid for the indiscretion with six unpleasant months in a Rebel prison;

14- not till the end of WWII- 1945. Curious thing- the people of Vicksburg voted 67% against Mississippi's secession back in '61;

15- Genl Wesley Merritt. In 1900, another CW General, Arthur MacArthur, would become the military governor of the Philippines, but would never be as famous as his son.

11. William Petersen

12. Walt Whitman

13. Alfred Ely

14. 1944

15. George Wesley Merritt, who did graduate from West point in 1860, was the first military governor. William Howard Taft, who did not go to West Point, was the first governor-general.

trivia reply!

( I will be on vacation for ten days, so I will not be able to participate next week:frown: but here goes for this week...)

11. William Petersen
12. Walt Whitman
13. Alfred Ely, of NY
14. 1944
15. Wesley Merritt (man, this guy got around!)

Thanks for keeping the trivia thread going, I really enjoy it!

Answers to Trivia #39 week #3

#11 William Petersen

#12 Walt Whitman

#13 Alfered Ely

#14 1944

#15 Wesley Merritt

I was glad to see that someone did protest #8 from last week ,though I am NOT trying to get my answer change , I was happy to see that others found many answers for that question.

Sorry to be late posting the answers this week. My son's high school graduation party took up most of the day.

Here are the answers to the questions for Week 3:

11. William Petersen owned the boarding house.

12. Walt Whitman was the subject of the exhibit.

13. Alfred Ely of New York was captured.

14. Vicksburg did not officially celebrate Independence Day again until 1945, after V-E Day in World War II.

15. Wesley Merritt of the Class of 1860 went on to a 45-year military career, including his exploits in the Philippines.

Everybody placed the date of Vicksburg's celebration in the World War II era, but an awful lot of you thought it was in 1944, so we may have some appeals this week.

My source said Wesley Merritt was the first governor-general, but Robert B. Condon thinks it was William Howard Taft. I don't have time to check that out right now, but I will do so.

I will hold off on posting the scores until after I've checked out the Taft answer.

As to Taft, being born in 1857, he might qualify as a drummer boy, but hardly as a general.

Well I am beginning to wonder about the sources of this current round of questions.

Anyway here are some links to the 1944 answer, take them as you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicksburg,_Mississippi

http://www.answers.com/topic/vicksburg-mississippi

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4e7ae/c8a49/

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/oct/03/faith_science_complement_one_another/?syndicated

http://www.safran-arts.com/42day/history/h4jul/h4jul04.html

and from Vicksburgs Long Shadow by Christopher Waldrep., on page 245, is stated: "the holiday "'would not be celebrated again in Vicksburg for 81 years'". This is attributed to Ken Burns, The Civil War, episode 5 "The Universe of battle".

Enough.

Three posts and a private message have been submitted, all giving sources stating that Vicksburg celebrated Independence Day in 1944, so that answer will be ruled correct. I have re-edited the original posts and taken away my original notation of “incorrect.” Of course, the person who answered “1945” is also given credit for a correct answer, since I never penalize anybody for finding a source that agrees with my own.

Robert B. Condon is correct in stating that Wesley Merritt’s official title was U.S. Military Governor and that William Howard Taft was the first to hold the official title of Governor-General, though each of them essentially performed the duties of chief executive of the Philippines. However, as SamGrant pointed out, Taft did not graduate from West Point and was far too young to have seen military service of any sort in the Civil War. Neither did he lead the Philippine Expedition. Given the fact that those three items of information in the question clearly did not apply to Taft, I am going to rule the answer of William Howard Taft incorrect. (Sorry, Traveller. At least the Oilers won on Saturday, eh?)

The scores at the end of Week 3:

FIRST DIVISION

Robert B. Condon 18
SamGrant 18
Aggie80 4

SECOND DIVISION

Sarladaise 18
Texaswildcat 18
bgl1952 17
Rad2duhbone53 15
Traveller 13
MissMarkie 9