Trivia Game # 38 - Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Time to start a new game. To check out the rules, please see the previous thread.

New players are welcome to join the game at any time. For those of you who may have played a time or two in the past, only to find that you had joined a game in the middle and the other players were far ahead of you, this is your chance to start even with everyone else.

Here are the questions for Week 1 of Game # 38. Thanks to First Division member Robert B. Condon for supplying the questions for Game # 38.

1.What French artist was an eyewitness to the fight of the CSS Alabama and the USS Kearsarge and later executed a painting of it?

2. What Union regiment was known as the "Eagle Regiment" and why? (You must both name the regiment and give the reason why it was so called.)

3. Which Confederate general was buried standing up?

4. Where and when was the final reunion of the Grand Army of the Republic held?

5. (Two point question) What Southern literary figure lies buried next to J.E.B. Stuart?

On question 4, I’m going to be nice and give credit to anyone who can correctly name either the city where the reunion was held or the year in which it was held. If you can name both, bully for you! (But, sorry, no extra credit.)

Answers to the questions for Week 1 will be due by 6 PM EDT on Saturday, April 15. Don’t worry, you have until Monday to get your income taxes done, so you’ll have time to play the game this week.

Good luck!

Week 1 of Game # 38

1. (I'd guess that the desired answer here would be Edouard Manet, as he is the most well known of any of the painters who depicted this battle, however, ALL of my sources indicate that Manet did NOT witness the battle, but used eyewitness SOURCES (from newspapers, etc.) in order to recreate the image.

Expired Image Removed Manet was not the only artist (although he was the only impressionist) to depict the unique but significant American naval engagement off Cherbourg. Henri Durand-Brager, an official painter for French naval expeditions throughout the mid nineteenth-century, and James Bryant, an artist for the Illustrated London News (Wilson-Bareau, 44), also depicted this maritime event that warranted such attention from the politically conscious in 1864 France. Beth Ann Brombert in her Edouard Manet, Pierre Daix in his La Vie de Peintre d’Edouard Manet, and Juliet Wilson-Bareau in her exhibition catalogue Manet and the American Civil War each independently corroborate the claim that, like Durand-Brager and Bryant, Manet was not present for the battle and therefore based his depiction on newspaper accounts, sketches, and other readily accessible material in the weeks following the naval engagement (

http://blogs.princeton.edu/writingart6/archives/2005/01/nonmanet_nonunf.html

"
This is Manet’s first seascape and it depicts a real event that Manet read
about in newspapers and illustrated journals. The naval battle occurred on
June 19, 1864, between the U.S. naval ship Kearsarge and the Confederate
raider Alabama. Despite the fact that this was an American Civil War battle,
it was of particular interest to the French as it occurred off the coast of
northern France near Cherbourg. Although Manet did not witness the actual
event, he painted a realistic painting, and later went on to see and paint the
Kearsarge from life when it was in the harbor near Bolougne.
Manet was not the first artist to paint this battle scene and it is possible that
an earlier depiction of the same event by the naval painter Henri Durand-
Brager inspired Manet to attempt the same subject. Durand-Brager’s version
attracted a lot of favorable attention and public notice. Many people saw and
commented on Manet’s painting when it was exhibited in the window of a
print shop in Paris in July, 1864. Most people assumed that Manet had
witnessed the actual battle and was painting from life and from memory
rather than from his imagination and other images and written accounts of the
battle.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:mZUhIlCNFqYJ:www.philamuseum.org/exhibitions/exhibits/manet/teachers/teacher_packet.pdf+alabama+kearsarge++%22Durand-Brager%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=10

Manet did not see the battle but was inspired to make an imaginary painting of it, which he finished so quickly that it was placed on exhibition 26 days after the event. Several weeks later, after visiting the victorious Kearsarge as it basked at anchor off Boulogne, he produced a firsthand impression of the ship.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C05E0DC123FF936A15754C0A9659C8B63&pagewanted=print

So while Manet is several times cited as NOT witnessing the battle, and Durand-Brager is, above, also said not to be a witness, I also find a source that suggests that Durand-Brager may have witnessed the battle:

"The curators of this show officially make a comparison between the "star" painting, Manet's The Battle of the "Kearsarge" and the "Alabama" (1864), and Henri Durand-Brager's Battle between U.S.S. "Kearsarge" and C.S.S. "Alabama" (1864). Manet's painting is of an imaginary scene based probably on newspaper illustrations and prints, but Durand-Brager might actually have witnessed the battle. Both paintings were executed very quickly, within a month. Durand-Brager had been an official French navy painter, and the captain of the Kearsarge had complimented him on his painting's "remarkable exactitude"."

http://www.robinandben.com/robin/manet_and_civil_war.html)

So as there is a consensus that Manet did not witness the battle, while there is some support that Durand-Brager "might" have,and the fact that D-B was "an official French navy painter", and tho some sources indicate D-B was Belgian, not French (tho he was born in France),

I'll have to give the nod to Henri Durand-Brager.

2. 8th Wisconsin Infantry (Volunteers), because their mascot was an eagle they named "Old Abe" which accompanied them in battle.

3. A. P. Hill was buried "standing up" (3 times!) "Up comes Hill"!

4. August 1949, at Indianapolis, Indiana (most sources say the 31st of that month, but at least one says the 28th) BULLY!

5. Ellen Glasgow

1. Edouard Manet

2. 8th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers (The Eagle Regiment.)
because their mascot was "Old Abe" the war eagle.

3. Hoke INCORRECT

4. The 61st and final reunion was held in Norfolk, VA. 30 May - 2 June 1951 INCORRECT

5. Ellen Glasgow

answers for week one

#1 Edouard Manet

#2 8th Wisconsin It was called Eagle Regiment for thier mascot , Old Abe, which was a eagle.

#3 A.P. Hill

#4 Indianapolis, Indiana 1949 BULLY!

#5 Ellen Glasgow

Darn...

and here I am all excited that I KNOW the answer to the last one... but am a bit 'shaky' on the others. Oh well, I'll give it my best shot to try to find the other four as I think you are saying you wish folks to NOT post answers individually??

1. Edouard Manet, and the painting is in the Philadelphia Art Inst.
2. The 8th Wisconsin. They had the war eagle, "Old Abe" that they carried on a platform mounted on a pole, but in battle, Abe was let free to fly.
3. I didn't know any CSA generals were gypsies! I'll go with Major General Camille Armand Jules Marie, Prince de Polignac. INCORRECT
4.1949, Indianapolis, IN. 6 of the 16 surviving members were ther. BULLY!
5. Ellen Glasgow, author of "Vein of Iron" and a very anti-sentimentalist when it came to the "Old South and its Cavaliers" which is why it is such an irony she is buried within shouting distance of JEB Stuart.

Miss Markie

At the time of this post, I have received answers from SamGrant, Traveller, bgl1952, Miss Markie, and Sarladaise.

That's a relatively small number of participants, and it doesn't include some of our regular stalwarts. I'm concerned that some people may have posted but for some reason, their posts may not have gotten through.

If your name is not in the first paragraph, I do not have your post in the queue.

If you still want to post answers to the questions for Week 1, I'll give you a little extra time, because I'm going to be out of the house until at least 9:00 tonight. If you get your post into the queue before I get back, I'll accept it.

I will score the answers to the questions for Week 1 later tonight if I can - if not, I'll get them scored tomorrow.

Welcome to our newest players, bgl1952 and Miss Markie.

We had a pretty small turnout this week. I've heard from Texaswildcat, who was stuck in transit and unable to post. Not sure what happened to everybody else, but we'll carry on and hope for more to join us.

After the first week, defending champions SamGrant and Sarladaise are off to a good start with six points each, joined by newcomer bgl1952. (bgl1952, if you would like me to capitalize any or all of those letters in the future, please let me know.)

For those of you who had questions marked wrong, because I'm so late posting these answers, the deadline for appeals will be extended until 6 PM Wednesday this week. If you can make a post citing a source for your answers, I will mark them correct.

The answers to the questions for Week 1:

1. Edouard Manet was the answer I had, but SamGrant has given more than adequate documentation to support his answer of Henri Durand-Brager. I’ll give credit for both answers.

2. The 8th Wisconsin whose mascot was an American eagle named "Old Abe," was known as the Eagle Regiment.

3. A.P. Hill was buried standing up.

4. The last reunion was held at Indianapolis, Indiana in 1949.

5. Pulitzer prize winning Ellen Glasgow is buried next to Stuart in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, Virginia

Scores at the end of Week 1:

FIRST DIVISION

SamGrant 6

SECOND DIVISION

bgl1952 6
Sarladaise 6
Miss Markie 5
Traveller 4

Well I did remember The 8th Wisconsin and "Ole Abe" . Don Troiani did a beautiful paiinting of the Regiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back