Trivia Game # 37 - Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
I will be attending my son’s high school musical this evening, so I’ll post the questions for Week 3 early. Those who have not yet answered the questions for Week 2 may still do so until 6 PM EST this evening (March 11).

Here are the questions for Week 3 of Game # 37.

11. What two U.S. gunboats shelled the riverbank at Milliken’s Bend?

12. The 1860 Indiana state fairgrounds became what in 1861?

13. What was the alternate name for the Battle of Chantilly?

14. What was a “Holy Joe?”

15. (Two point question) Who was the wartime editor of the Charleston Mercury?

Answers to the questions for Week 3 will be due by 6 PM EST on Saturday, March 18.

Good luck!

11. Choctaw and Lexington

12. It became Camp Morton, first used as a traning camp for newly volunteered soldiers, later was used as a POW camp.

13. Ox Hill

14. a chaplain

15. Robert Barnwell Rhett Jr.

Here are the answers for Week 3 of Game # 37.

12. Camp Morton used as a Training Grounds

13. The Battle of Ox Hill

14. A military chaplain.

15. Robert Barnwell Rhett Jr.

12. Oliver P. Morton. Oops, don't want to be Alex Trebeked like on the Sumter question. So, What is Camp Morton?

13. Ox Hill

14. a chaplain

15. Robert Barnwell Rhett, Jr.

11. What two U.S. gunboats shelled the riverbank at Milliken’s Bend?

The Choctaw and the Lexington

12. The 1860 Indiana state fairgrounds became what in 1861?
A training camp for soldiers.

13. What was the alternate name for the Battle of Chantilly?

The 2nd Manassas?? INCORRECT

14. What was a “Holy Joe?”

A military chaplain.

15. (Two point question) Who was the wartime editor of the Charleston Mercury?

Most accounts list Robert Barnwell Rhett Jr. as the editor, yet I've found information that also claims, L.W. Spratt was the editor as late as February 13, 1861 when he wrote, "The Philosophy of Secession".

Sounds like there is more to the story, but I ran out of resources.

Rose

I'm making this post for the benefit of our newest player, Wild Rose, who is joining the game this week. Wild Rose, welcome to the game.

The way the WBTS Trivia Game message board works is that, when a player posts a set of answers, that post goes into a queue that can only be viewed by me as moderator. I leave all the posts in the queue until the 6 PM Saturday deadline passes, then I approve them to appear on the board. I have to do it this way so that those who answer the questions later in the week do not have the advantage of being able to read the answers of all those who posted earlier in the week. So that's why you weren't able to see your post immediately after you entered it.

I can assure you that your post is in the queue and will show up on the board tomorrow evening.

Welcome, again, to our newest player, Wild Rose.

We still have four players with perfect scores through the first three weeks of Game # 37.

Here are the answers for Week 3:

11. The USS Lexington and the USS Choctaw shelled the riverbank at Milliken’s Bend.

12. The state fairgrounds became a training camp known as Camp Morton. Since I didn’t specify that I wanted the proper name, I’ll accept either the proper name or the generic description.

13. The Battle of Chantilly was also known as the Battle of Ox Hill.

14. “Holy Joe” was another name for a chaplain.

15. According to RaggedRebel, the wartime editor of the Mercury was Robert Barnwell Rhett. Thanks to Wild Rose for providing the information about L. W. Spratt’s writing, which sounds as though it would have been a significant piece of work. Since Feb. 13, 1861 predates the generally accepted start date of the war, I assumed that you did not intend to name Spratt as a wartime editor, so I will not require you to specify the source of your information. However, I would remind all players to be careful about giving more than one answer to a question unless it is very clear that I expect more than one answer.

Scores at the end of Week 3:

FIRST DIVISION

Aggie80 18
Robert B. Condon 18
SamGrant 18

SECOND DIVISION

Sockknitter 18
Sarladaise 17
Traveller 12
Texaswildcat 10
Bama Belle 6
Wild Rose 5