Trivia Game # 37 - Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Time to begin a new game. Game # 37 will feature questions and answers supplied by First Division member RaggedRebel. Many thanks to the Ragged one.

Rules for Game # 37 will be basically the same as those for Game # 36.

Here are the questions for Week 1 of Game # 37.

1. What South Carolina general later became a U.S. Senator and a major gen. of volunteers in the Spanish-American War?

2. Who was known as "the nurse with the bottle" because she sprinkled lavender water in hospitals?

3. What civilian company designed the Butler medal?

4. What 2 states were never represented in the Confederate "cabinet"?

5. (Two point question) In what eastern unit did the California Battalion serve?

Answers to the questions for Week 1 will be due by 6 PM EST Saturday, March 4.

Good luck!

Trivia Game #37 - Week 1

(Some weird thing happened with my 1st try at a reply, so I'm doing it again, in case the 1st one was lost.)

1) Matthew Calbraith Butler

2) Louisa May Alcott

3) The medals were designed by Anthony C. Paquet and manufactured in silver by Tiffany in New York. The ribbon and attachments were designed by Charles W. Kennard & Co.

4) (This is problematic, if, as the question implies, that there were only 2 states unrepresented. This must assume that J. Davis himself was part of the cabinet. It also poses the quandary that John H. Reagan was born in Tennessee, but moved to Texas at age 19, and was elected to Congress from Texas. So if Davis is not himself a cabinet member, one could say there were three states not represented: Mississippi (Davis), Arkansas, and Texas or Tennessee, depending on which state one counts Reagan as 'representing'.)
I'll go with Arkansas and Tennessee, on the 'authority' of the 2 following similar sources:

http://civilwartalk.com/depot/messag...tml?1037149505

http://civilwartalk.com/depot/messag...tml?1037254535

5) 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry

1. Joseph Wheeler

2. Louisa May Alcott

3. Anthony C. Paquet designed the medal, Ribbon and attachments designed by Charles W. Kennard & Co

4. Kentucky, Missouri

5. 71st Pennsylvania Infantry

REVISED RESPONSE BELOW

Here are the questions for Week 1 of Game # 37.

1. Matthew Calbraith Butler
2. Louisa May Alcott - To combat the horrible smells from the poor sanitation, she would frequently sprinkle herself and her surroundings with lavender water. As a result, she was soon called the "Nurse with the Bottle."
3. According to the US Army, the Butler medal was designed by Anthony C. Paquet and the ribbon and attachments were designed by Charles W. Kennard & Co.
4. Mississippi and Arkansas – Davis considered himself a representative of Mississippi
5. 500 selected troopers served with the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry.

REVISED RESPONSE BELOW

1. Mathew C. Butler

2. Louisa May Alcott

3. "Designed" by Anthony Paquet, it was "produced" by Tiffany.

4. This question should produce quite a firestorm. No other qualifying information being given, one of the states is Arkansas. The first issue is whether to consider KY and MO as Confederate states. Secretary of War John Breckinridge was from KY but there weres no cabinet member from MO. If KY and MO are not considered that leaves VA, NC, SC, GA, FLA, ALA, MISS, TENN, LA, TEX, and ARK. If place of birth is the criteria, then there were cabinet members from VA, NC, SC, GA, ALA, and TENN. This would leave (besides ARK), FLA, MISS, LA, and TEX. If place of birth is not the criteria, then Secretary of the Navy Mallory (born in Trinidad) could be considered as being from FLA, Judah Benjamin from LA (although he also lived in NC and SC and was born in St. Croix), and Postmaster General Reagan from TEX instead of TENN where he was born. This would make TENN unrepresented in the cabinet. But wait, there's more. Unless the President is considered a "member" of the cabinet, then MISS would be unrepresented. In summary, assuming KY and MO are not to be considered, and that Reagan should be considered as being from TEX, and that Mallory should be considered as being from FLA, and that President Davis from MISS should be considered as a "member" of the cabinet, then TENN would be the other state besides ARK not represented in the Confederate cabinet.

5. Second Massachusetts Cavalry

Clarification on question 3

When I posted question 3, I had blithely assumed that the same company designed the silver medal, ribbons, attachments, and everything that went with it.

It has come to my attention that that was an invalid assumption. :eek: An individual designed the silver medal, a company produced the silver medal, and a different company designed the ribbons and attachments.

To spare everyone further agonies in trying to decide which of those I want - I will accept any answer that names the individual who designed the silver medal, the company that produced the silver medal, the company that designed the ribbons and attachments, or any combination of those three.

2. Louisa May Alcott

3. Anthony Paquet designed the medal and Charles W. Kennard & Co. designed the ribbon and attachments.

4. Arkansas and Tennessee

5. 2nd MA Cav

Clarifications on question 4

It looks as though question 4 also needs some clarifications.

First, the question refers to states that officially seceded from the Union. There were only eleven of them. Your answer must name two out of those eleven that seceded.

Second, for the purposes of this question, the President of the CSA is considered to be part of the cabinet.

Third, for the purposes of this question, cabinet members are considered to have come from the states they represented at the time they were chosen for the cabinet, not necessarily the states where they were born. If Abe Lincoln were in the Confederate cabinet, he would be considered to have come from Illinois, not Kentucky.

Those of you who have already submitted responses to this week's questions are invited to review your response to question 4. If you want to do so, you may submit another post with a revised response to that question.

Revised answer list for Week 1 of Game # 37.

2. Louisa May Alcott - To combat the horrible smells from the poor sanitation, she would frequently sprinkle herself and her surroundings with lavender water. As a result, she was soon called the "Nurse with the Bottle."

3. According to the US Army, the Butler medal was designed by Anthony C. Paquet and the ribbon and attachments were designed by Charles W. Kennard & Co.

4. Thanks for clarifying! Once I had two, I quit checking!
Arkansas - NONE
Tennesee - NONE

Missouri also had no representatives, but Kentucky had one.

5. 500 selected troopers served with the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry.

1. Joseph Wheeler INCORRECT

2. Louisa May Alcott

3. designed by Anthony C. Paquet

4. North Carolina, Virginia INCORRECT

5. 71st Pennsylvania Infantry INCORRECT

2. Louisa May Alcott

3. The medal was commissioned by General Benjamin F. Butler.
The medal was designed by Anthony C. Paquet.
The medal was manufactured in silver by Tiffany in New York.

4. Arkansas and Tennessee

5. Five hundred volunteers from California known as the California Hundred and Battalion fought in the East during the years 1863-1865 as a part of the Second Massachusetts Volunteer Calvary Regiment.

Welcome back to First Division member Aggie80.

We have five players who got all five answers correct this week, three in the First Division and two in the Second.

Answers to the questions for Week 1:

1. Matthew C. Butler, CSA general, later became a U.S. Senator and major general of volunteers during the Spanish-American War. Fighting Joe Wheeler did serve in the Spanish-American War and did serve in the U.S. Congress, but as a representative, not a senator.

2. Louisa May Alcott was known as “the nurse with the bottle.” (I thought this was going to be a tough one - I figured there might be lots of Civil War nurses who were known by this nickname, but everyone got this answer correct.)

3. Tiffany’s of New York produced the silver medal, which was designed by Anthony Paquet. The ribbon and attachments were designed by Charles W. Kennard & Co.

4. Arkansas and Tennessee were never represented in the Confederate cabinet.

5. The California Battalion served in the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry.

The scores after Week 1:

FIRST DIVISION

Aggie80 6
Robert B. Condon 6
SamGrant 6

SECOND DIVISION

BamaBelle 6
Sockknitter 6
Sarladaise 5
Traveller 3
Texaswildcat 2

Status