Trivia Game # 36 - Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Here are the questions for Week 1 of Game # 36.

1. Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant met at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865 to discuss surrender terms. What was the name of the owner of the house in which they met?

2. What was the middle name of John Wilkes Booth’s father?

3. After serving as a member of a commission to study European army organization in 1855, George McClellan proposed the creation of a new rank in the U.S. Army. What rank was it?

4. According to a well-known poem by John Greenleaf Whittier, Barbara Frietchie uttered the line “Shoot if you must this old gray head, But spare your country’s flag," (she said) to Confederate troops marching through the town where she lived. In what town did she live?

5. (Two point question) Joseph Johnston and William T. Sherman met near Durham Station, NC on April 17, 1865 to discuss surrender terms. What was the name of the owner of the house in which they met?

Answers to the questions for Week 1 will be due by 6 PM EST on Saturday, January 21.

Good luck!

Looking to the future, I’ve received suggestions from Highfly and Mr. Tacitus on additional sources for trivia questions, so I should be able to keep the game going for the conceivable future. Thanks to both of them. :thumbsup:

I do, however, want to emphasize that I will still welcome contributions of questions or references to possible sources from anybody who wants to supply me with such.

1. Wilmer McLean
2. Brutus
3. The only information I could find regarding this is that he proposed using a calvary manual adapted from the Russian Calvary. :shrug: INCORRECT
4. Frederick (MD)
5. James and Nancy Bennitt (and yes, that is the correct spelling)

1. Wilmer McLean.
2. Brutus.
3. Lt. Gen. INCORRECT
4. Frederick Maryland.
5. James Bennitt.

1. Wilmer McLean

2. Brutus

3. ordnance sergeant INCORRECT

4. Frederick MD

5. James and Nancy Bennitt or Bennett

1) Wilmer McLean

2) Brutus

3) I do not have the slightest idea. NO ANSWER

4) Frederick (town) Maryland

5) James & Nancy Bennett

1) Wilmer McLean

2) Brutus

3) (my friend, Vincent Vega, insists the answer is "Le Big Mac"), but
I'll guess Marshall INCORRECT

4) Frederick, Maryland

5) James (+Nancy) Bennitt (sometimes spelled Bennett)

Welcome back to all those who have played before and a special welcome to our newest player, Bama Belle. Good to have you with us.

Looks like the tough question this week was #3. (Aren't you all glad I didn't make that the two-point question?)

Here are the answers to the questions for Week 1.

1. The owner of the house where Lee met Grant was Wilmer MacLean.

2. John Wilkes Booth's father's full name was Junius Brutus Booth. Ironically, the father of one of the most infamous assassins in history was named for another one of the most infamous assassins in history.

3. McClellan proposed a rank much more modest than what most of you were thinking. He proposed that a rank be created between that of Private and Corporal. If any of you were ever in the army and made Private First Class, you can thank McClellan.

4. Frietchie (or Fritchie) lived in Frederick, MD. The incident supposedly took place in September 1862, during Lee’s first Maryland campaign.

5. The owner of the house where Johnston met Sherman was James Bennett (or Bennitt). (I don't worry about spelling variations unless they clearly change the meaning of the answer.)

Robert B. Condon, the only person to answer all five questions correctly, has jumped to the lead in the First Division. We have a total logjam in the Second Division, with all players tied for first.

The standings after Week 1:

FIRST DIVISION

Robert B. Condon 6
Bill_Torrens 5
SamGrant 5

SECOND DIVISION

Bama Belle 5
MilHistBuff1 5
RivrRat 5
Sarladaise 5
Sockknitter 5
Tarheel 5
Texaswildcat 5
Traveller 5

I'm happy to report that Robert B. Condon has given me a set of questions for a future game and Sockknitter has suggested a source for me to look into.
Thanks to both of you. :thumbsup:

Any more questions or suggestions for sources are always welcome.

To fellow players:

Re question #3 I admit I got lucky. I had searched everything I could think of including McClellan's book with no result. I was going to respond with General of Division when I tried one last shot with the Time-Life series and there it was buried in an aside about the commission to Europe. Time-Life has saved me once before (Turner Ashby's musical instrument) so I am passing on the suggestion for what it's worth.

I know that there will be occasions when people will be just bursting with curiosity to know in what source a particular item of trivia can be found.

I just want to make it clear that I reserve the right not to respond to a question asking for my source if the source is one from which I expect to be asking more questions in the future.

In this case, I don't mind divulging my source, because I do not expect to be asking any more questions based on that particular book.

As Robert B. indicated, the information on which question 3 was based was found in one of the Time-Life Civil War series of books. Specifically, question 3 came from "Forward to Richmond: McClellan's Peninsular Campaign," page 14.

Hoosier: Your reservation understood. I assumed that you would not have let my message be posted if you had had any objection to it. RBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back