Trimble's Charge

infomanpa

1st Lieutenant
I've never quite understood Lee's reasoning in his choosing of which of Pender's brigades to assign to General Trimble on July 3. I would think that he would want his freshest and least damaged troops from that division. I can understand his selection of Lane's brigade, since they were lightly engaged on July 1. My main problem is trying to figure out why Lee would select Scales' (under Lowrance) brigade after they were decimated on July 1, while Thomas' brigade saw very little action during the entire campaign. Thomas' men were basically spectators on Long Lane and already positioned part of the way to Cemetery Ridge.

I've never quite understood Lee's reasoning in his choosing of which of Pender's brigades to assign to General Trimble on July 3. I would think that he would want his freshest and least damaged troops from that division. I can understand his selection of Lane's brigade, since they were lightly engaged on July 1. My main problem is trying to figure out why Lee would select Scales' (under Lowrance) brigade after they were decimated on July 1, while Thomas' brigade saw very little action during the entire campaign. Thomas' men were basically spectators on Long Lane and already positioned part of the way to Cemetery Ridge.

Positioning perhaps? Lowrance was not on the front line like Thomas was, not to mention that Thomas would have to pull out and be replaced while skirmishing pretty heavily along his front.

I've never seen any particular reason given why Lowrance was chosen though so this is all supposition.

Ryan

Back