1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Trimble's Charge

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by infomanpa, Mar 13, 2017.

1. infomanpa

infomanpa Private

I've never quite understood Lee's reasoning in his choosing of which of Pender's brigades to assign to General Trimble on July 3. I would think that he would want his freshest and least damaged troops from that division. I can understand his selection of Lane's brigade, since they were lightly engaged on July 1. My main problem is trying to figure out why Lee would select Scales' (under Lowrance) brigade after they were decimated on July 1, while Thomas' brigade saw very little action during the entire campaign. Thomas' men were basically spectators on Long Lane and already positioned part of the way to Cemetery Ridge.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. rpkennedy

rpkennedy Major

Positioning perhaps? Lowrance was not on the front line like Thomas was, not to mention that Thomas would have to pull out and be replaced while skirmishing pretty heavily along his front.

I've never seen any particular reason given why Lowrance was chosen though so this is all supposition.

Ryan

Tom Elmore likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)