Tredegar 2.25 inch Mountain Rifle's in the Trans-Mississippi

Rusk County Avengers

Captain
Muster Stunt Master Stones River / Franklin 2022
I've been trying to track four "Tredegar Mountain Rifles", (I'll just say "M1862" for short), that were supposedly shipped West sometime in early to mid 1862. My, preliminary findings have been that along with a few of the more famous "Mountain Howitzers" they initially constituted the guns of "Shoup's Mountain Battery", formed in Arkansas just in time for the battles of Cane Hill, and Prairie Grove, before the battery was disbanded by General Hindman, for ineffectiveness, and the guns were last listed as being in storage in Dardanelle sometime after Prairie Grove.
After that its in question where these guns ended up, a lot of the officers that had served with "Shoups's Battery" later served with "Hughey's Battery", but I've not found sufficient evidence to say the M1862's were apart of that battery, (but I've found evidence that they weren't lol), however, I've found one M1862 listed as being apart of "R.W. Lee's Texas Battery" in the Indian Territory at the Battle of Honey Springs.

Does anyone know what happened to these guns? I've not had the time to go the library to consult the official records, so I don't trust what I've found on the internet thus far, and have become understandably curious regarding these super rare Tredegar guns

Last edited:
Best of luck in your search. Its a tall order to fill. I believe the best approach would be the Arkansas regimental histories in hopes that they would tell what happened to them, captured, destroyed etc. Let us know what you find out.

Tall orders is the best orders lol! I've been looking through Arkansas Reg. histories, and haven't had too much luck, but this research project is young. The fact that I've found some accounts of one with a Texas Battery, seems to point that Arkansas divested themselves of the guns, but at the same time I've not found them in the report from the end of the War covering all the artillery in the CS Trans-Mississippi Department, so its a head scratcher. Who knows, maybe this points to the guns still being out there by some chance.....

Back