Traveller's final resting place

BrassVols

Sergeant
image.jpg

Lincoln was fond of Traveller too.:smile coffee:

Ok. I just looked it. "Paying respect to Traveller, the horse of Robert E. Lee. The pennies placed on the grave are head side down so that Lincoln can always stare at Traveller's ***." That's pretty funny. Can't believe I never heard of that one. It's also funny that there are a few nickels and dimes in there too. Maybe people see the pennies but don't know the tradition so they put some change there and make a wish or something. "Dear Traveller, I want a new bike."

Last edited:
Ok. I just looked it up for myself. "Paying respect to Traveller, the horse of Robert E. Lee. The pennies placed on the grave are head side down so that Lincoln can always stare at Traveller's as s." That's pretty funny. Can't believe I never heard of that one.
I've never heard that one either. I continue to learn something new every few hours on CWT.:smile coffee:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm digging around for this and I cant find a clear beginning to the tradition. One source talks about how in the years after the war leaving a penny on a grave just meant you'd visited. A nickel signaled that you knew or trained with the deceased. And a quarter meant you were there when he died. And then this money was there for the family. A nice idea but I don't find any source confirming it or showing it as being the origin of the face down penny thing. It's hard not to imagine that it has something to do with Lincoln's face. Perhaps the Traveller joke about Lincoln having to look at his rear just grew out of the old tradition.

Maybe someone here will know the history of this. Where's Shelby Foote when you need him? I'd bet he'd have something to say about it.

I like the apple for Traveller. It's quite charming.

Yeah, I'm digging around for this and I cant find a clear beginning to the tradition. One source talks about how in the years after the war leaving a penny on a grave just meant you'd visited. A nickel signaled that you knew or trained with the deceased. And a quarter meant you were there when he died. And then this money was there for the family. A nice idea but I don't find any source confirming it or showing it as being the origin of the face down penny thing. It's hard not to imagine that it has something to do with Lincoln's face. Perhaps the Traveller joke about Lincoln having to look at his rear just grew out of the old tradition.

Maybe someone here will know the history of this. Where's Shelby Foote when you need him? I'd bet he'd have something to say about it.

I like the apple for Traveller. It's quite charming.

You'll appreciate the sugar cubes as well!
image.jpg

It's also funny that there are a few nickels and dimes in there too. Maybe people see the pennies but don't know the tradition so they put some change there and make a wish or something. "Dear Traveller, I want a new bike."

I would have done that, too... :redface: like throwing pennies in a fountain when you want to come back ...
Good to know what it really means!

Last edited:
Back