Traveller

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
297923_521016071279465_271065637_n.jpg

No one seems to know, not even the docents at the chapel.

General Lee's "Traveller"
The most famous of the horses in the stables of General Lee, the Confederate commander, was "Traveller," an iron gray horse. He was raised in Greenbrier County, near Blue Sulphur Springs, and, as a colt, won first prize at a fair in Lewisburg, Virginia. When hostilities commenced between the North and the South, the horse, then known as "Jeff Davis," was owned by Major Thomas L. Broun, who had paid $175 (in gold) for him. Lee first saw the gray in the mountains of West Virginia. He instantly became attached to him, and always called him "my colt."

In the spring of 1862, this horse finally became the property of the general, who paid $200 in currency for him. He changed the name of his charger to "Traveller" and from the date of purchase it became almost a daily sight to see the commander astride the gray, riding about the camp.

There were a number of battle horses in Lee's stables during the war. There were "Grace Darling," "Brown Roan," "Lucy Long," "Ajax," and "Richmond," but of them all "Traveller" became the especial companion of the general. The fine proportions of tiffs horse immediately attracted attention. He was gray in color, with black points, a long mane and long flowing tail. He stood sixteen hands high, and was five years old in the spring of 1862. His figure was muscular, with a deep chest and short back, strong haunches, fiat legs, small head, quick eyes, broad forehead, and small feet. His rapid, springy step and bold carriage made him conspicuous in the camps of the Confederates. On a long and tedious march with the Army of Northern Virginia he easily carried Lee's weight at five or six miles an hour, without faltering, and at the end of the day's hard travel seemed to be as fresh as at the beginning.

The other horses broke under the strain and hardships; "Lucy Long," purchased by General "Jeb" Stuart from Stephen Dandridge and presented to Lee, served for two years in alternation with "Traveller," but in the fall of 1864 became unserviceable and was sent into the country to recuperate.(3) "Richmond," "Ajax," and "Brown Roan" each in turn proved unequal to the rigors of war.

(3) "Lucy Long," second to "Traveller" in Lee's affections, was recalled from the country just before the evacuation of Richmond; but during the confusion she was placed with the public horses and sent to Danville, and Lee lost all trace of his war-horse. A thorough search was made, and finally, in 1866, she was discovered and brought to Lexington to pass her days in leisure with General Lee and "Traveller." After a number of years the mare became feeble and seemed to lose interest in life, and when "Lucy Long" reached about thirty-three years of age a son of General Lee mercifully chloroformed the veteran war-horse of the Army of Northern Virginia.
But "Traveller" sturdily accepted and withstood the hardships of the campaigns in Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. When in April, 1865, the last battle of the Army of Northern Virginia had been fought, the veteran war-horse was still on duty. When Lee rode to the McLean house at Appomattox Court House, he was astride of "Traveller," and it was this faithful four-footed companion who carried the Southern leader back to his waiting army, and then to Richmond.

When Lee became a private citizen and retired to Washington and Lee University, as its president, the veteran warhorse was still with him, and as the years passed and both master and servant neared life's ending they became more closely attached.(4) As the funeral cortege accompanied Lee to his last resting place, "Traveller" marched behind the hearse, his step slow and his head bowed, as if he understood the import of the occasion.

(4) During the life of "Traveller" after the-war, he was the pet of the countryside about Lexington, Va. Many marks of affection were showered upon him. Admiring friends in England sent two. sets of equipment for the veteran war-horse. Ladies in Baltimore, Md., bestowed another highly decorated set, and another came from friends at the Confederate capital, Richmond. But the set that seemed to most please "Traveller" was the one sent from St. Louis, in Missouri.
Source: "Photographic History of the Civil War: Article by Theo. F. Rodenbough, Brigadier-General, United States Army (Retired)

I remember seeing pennies on the headstones in the National Cemetary in Gettysburg, didn't place the meaning until I was back home. It had to do with Lincoln I assumed, but that couldn't be the meaning here.

I love the apples placed on the headstone. Love that old horse too.

One of my favorite books is "Traveller" by Richard Adams. A story told from Traveller's unique view of the world as it draws him into wartime. Also we are given a fresh and intimate portrait of General Robert E. Lee, of his world, and of the war he fought and lost.
I have this book!! My husband laughs about it but I can't wait to read it.:smile:

Lucy Long ended up outliving everybody, human or not! Think it was 35 years. She was quite an attraction herself, being the last of Lee's war horses. Ajax, who proved to be too uncomfortable to ride for long, ran into a gate and stabbed himself. The Roan died of a heat stroke. Another - can't remember the name - went blind. Traveller stepped on a nail and got tetanus - they had to shoot him. That left Lucy - and she had a long, happy life!

Cool. Why the pennies, though?

The penny has the bust of Lincoln. If you notice the back of the penny shows--not the face of Lincoln (a sign of disrespect towards Lincoln). Other than addressing anybody from the Union as "those people," I have yet to find any sign of disrespect rendered by Lee towards President Lincoln.

M. E. Wolf

The penny has the bust of Lincoln. If you notice the back of the penny shows--not the face of Lincoln (a sign of disrespect towards Lincoln). Other than addressing anybody from the Union as "those people," I have yet to find any sign of disrespect rendered by Lee towards President Lincoln.

M. E. Wolf

verrrrry interesting, I did notice that out at Gettysburg all the pennies placed on headstones in the cemetary were heads up.

I've also heard the pennies were symbolic for Traveller's upkeep. Lee had left something in his will for Traveller's maintenance and hoped that it would be continued. (Guess he didn't have much to set aside...) You can leave quarters and nickels - they're supposed to be face up as it's Washington and Jefferson, both Virginians! :confused:
I agree with the perplexed smiley...it's time to stop the insanity, build a bridge and...

Back