Travel report from Gentlemanrob on his first day of exploration to the west

gentlemanrob

Major
Well yesterday I made my first stop was in Brandon Mississippi where I visited the grave of Governor/General Robert Lowry I was able to get a picture of his grave the grave is very well laid out and well taken care of the cemetery over all looked to be very well taken care of. Secondly I traveled over to Greenwood Cemetery in Jackson Mississippi I love how the Confederate Monument is well taken care of. Some people had mentioned the cemetery was rough and to be careful people were watching I saw nothing while there that was any different then visiting a cemetery in Atlanta which I have visited many times and I was able to locate the graves of all the Generals buried there which I visited. lastly I drove down the Natchez Trace I saw a few deer but Mainly it reminded me of the wilderness I had seen growing up in Northeast Georgia. Very nice drive if you love wilderness and seeing lots of Wildlife highly recommended. I drove the route to get to Port Gibson where I visited the graves at almost night fall of Brig. General Benjamin Humphreys and Major General Earl Van Dorn which were very easy to locate since I had a map I had studied for weeks of where each is buried. We drove back up to Vicksburg for the night and stayed at the Holiday Inn which if your on a school teacher's budget like I am it's a great hotel to stay at and highly recommended. Today I woke up early as I am use to waking up early everyday. Today I will visit the Generals graves buried in Vicksburg as well as photograph some of the monuments on the battlefield before driving over to Texas where I will visit Marshall Texas and Waco Texas today. (I got about 6 Generals to photograph today) Lastly we will settle in for the rest of the trip in Austin. Hope to be going to the Texas State Cemetery tomorrow and visit and of course photograph the graves of the Generals and others buried there. Sorry no pictures today I will try to post some tomorrow if I get a chance. This is gentlemanrob signing off and wishing each of you a great day.

Today I will visit the Generals graves buried in Vicksburg as well as photograph some of the monuments on the battlefield before driving over to Texas where I will visit Marshall Texas and Waco Texas today. (I got about 6 Generals to photograph today)
Last time I was in Waco, that big Cemetery there was not open on Saturday. If that's your intended destination in Waco, you might check on that first. Still plenty to see in Greenwood Cemetery and City Cemetery in Marshall. If Waco is out, you might consider the short hop from Marshall to Jefferson and Oakwood Cemetery there.

Last time I was in Waco, that big Cemetery there was not open on Saturday. If that's your intended destination in Waco, you might check on that first. Still plenty to see in Greenwood Cemetery and City Cemetery in Marshall. If Waco is out, you might consider the short hop from Marshall to Jefferson and Oakwood Cemetery there.
Mainly I need Oakwood and city

Actually didn't take none it was stressful for us since we prefer interstate
Well actually the Natchez Trace is one of those things that you want to take your time and not just rush through it. Kind of opposite of an interstate .
My Mississippi kin are of two minds about the Trace - they know it's a lovely drive and appreciate that but also they hate the lower speed limit when all they want is to get somewhere! So if @gentlemanrob was focused on his destination then that was not the time to take the Trace.

Back