Travel advice again

Sorry @archieclement I didn't notice that last post the other day.

Okay it looks like I'm leaving out Monday, and going by time from NE Texas to West Tennessee and stopping in Trenton for I think and International Harvester, I'm starting to think a stop by Fort Pillow is highly unlikely to my great disappointment. Only way I can see it is haulin a** East Bound and Down from here around 5 am, with the original time thought of being 6. Plus with my compadre and boss on these work trips, being a few hours late leaving is a fact of life.

It would be more than possible, if I wasn't in a real need of stopping by Dixie Gun Works, plus my boss on this trip is a big car and tractor collector so their car museum and my buying and out of print artillery book and possibly buttons for my ever expanding uniform projects. For other people I might add because I'm such a nice guy who can't have nice things.

I'm putting a poll here for folks, for leaving DGW in Union City, TN heading to St. Louis I got two sites I might can stop by. But only one

Columbus/Belmont Kentucky

New Madrid, Missouri

Probing around the internet I noticed the New Madrid Museum has what looks to be an original Confederate greatcoat I'm not familiar with, so for a uniform nerd from h*** that's enticing, but the battlefield as far as I know no longer exists at all, but I've always loved the story of the Lady Polk in Columbus so I'm halfway at a loss. Advice appreciated.

As for up in St. Louis more CW stops may start to hurt financially because the plan was head home after our pickup there, and I'm on a shoestring budget. The Missouri CW museum seems to be closed to my great disappointment, but I realized Grant's Farm could easily be put right on the way, so I hope to stop there.

It looks like the planed two day one night trip will be a pain, and I probably won't get to see what I'd prefer to see most, (Fort Pillow), but miracles happen. Its better to have some CW stops than none at all.

Okay leaving early in the morning and I've got a list of destinations for picking up stuff:

Trenton, Tennessee
Chester, Illinois
Wood River, Illinois
Greenville, Illinois
Hawk Point, Missouri
Bonnet's Mill, Missouri
Rolla, Missouri

Then South bound and down for my NE Texas home. We'll be pulling a trailer, so I honestly don't know if I can stop in Memphis to see Forrest's current grave site. If its a gooseneck it'll be out of the question. But a halfway CW related stop in Union City, TN, and Columbus-Belmont State Park looks likely. Maybe even Camp Defiance in Cairo, Illinois. Grant's farm in St. Louis and other St. Louis CW sites look to all be closed.

If anyone knows any Missouri sites around my Missouri destinations I'd be happy, because the area I'll be in looks pretty dry in that department.

Viral Pandemic, riots in most cities, most folks would stay at home, but not that nutty Rusk County Avengers fella who is crazy enough to climb Thayer's Approach. He's charging right into it like an idiot!

Okay leaving early in the morning and I've got a list of destinations for picking up stuff:

Trenton, Tennessee
Chester, Illinois
Wood River, Illinois
Greenville, Illinois
Hawk Point, Missouri
Bonnet's Mill, Missouri
Rolla, Missouri

Then South bound and down for my NE Texas home. We'll be pulling a trailer, so I honestly don't know if I can stop in Memphis to see Forrest's current grave site. If its a gooseneck it'll be out of the question. But a halfway CW related stop in Union City, TN, and Columbus-Belmont State Park looks likely. Maybe even Camp Defiance in Cairo, Illinois. Grant's farm in St. Louis and other St. Louis CW sites look to all be closed.

If anyone knows any Missouri sites around my Missouri destinations I'd be happy, because the area I'll be in looks pretty dry in that department.

Viral Pandemic, riots in most cities, most folks would stay at home, but not that nutty Rusk County Avengers fella who is crazy enough to climb Thayer's Approach. He's charging right into it like an idiot!
Bonnets Mill not far from Jefferson City https://mostateparks.com/park/missouri-state-museum

Hey @archieclement my buddy Tom just told me on the phone Sterling Price's home is near Rolla, as well as a museum around there with all his stuff. Would you know anything about that?

It might be a more practical stop than Fort De Chartres as it could be late at night when I'm there for all I know.

Hey @archieclement my buddy Tom just told me on the phone Sterling Price's home is near Rolla, as well as a museum around there with all his stuff. Would you know anything about that?

It might be a more practical stop than Fort De Chartres as it could be late at night when I'm there for all I know.
Not that I know of, his home I know of was at Keytesville which isn't near Rolla at all, and no longer exists, there's a small local museum at Keytesville, but with some of these smaller ones, it's hard to catch it when it's open

Not that I know of, his home I know of was at Keytesville which isn't near Rolla at all, and no longer exists, there's a small local museum at Keytesville, but with some of these smaller ones, it's hard to catch it when it's open

Yeah I just found it on Google, Tom was telling me this place was SW of Rolla, which I'm drawing a blank.

assume you'll go home I-44,if so a few miles out of the way, but on the way if you go to WC :D

Go hungry, huge portions, all you can eat pass arounds like fried taters and onions and fried okra

Your a scholar and a gentleman! I might have to check that out.

Safe travels my friend.

Thanks, I aim to stay safe. Roaming all over the upper South and Midwest might not be the wisest thing right now, but they win if I let fear win out over me.

If something happens, it happens. I'm in the Hands of God it seems. If we don't go and postpone another week, oh well. Ain't just me.

We can chuck this up to another chapter in the legend of the Nutcase who climbed Thayer's Approach.

Just for the record, I'm alive and trying to get back to Texas.

As soon as I get back stay tuned for "CW Stops on a Work Trip 2: The Great Escape!"

Nothing went as planned, but running around I got to stop and see some CW sites, none I planned on, but I'm happy with the result. It's been a miserable run for my life though with all the craziness going on!

Just for the record, I'm alive and trying to get back to Texas.

As soon as I get back stay tuned for "CW Stops on a Work Trip 2: The Great Escape!"

Nothing went as planned, but running around I got to stop and see some CW sites, none I planned on, but I'm happy with the result. It's been a miserable run for my life though with all the craziness going on!
Not the best time to be in STL.......

Not the best time to be in STL.......

Never made it, turned back in Kentucky and been trying to find a safe crossing of the Mississippi in Tennessee. I'll explain once I get back to Texas, it's a thrilling tale of me screwing up royally by taking this work trip.

Here's a preview of my flight resulting in a happy unplanned stop.

20200602_154734.jpg

Back