Travel advice again

Rusk County Avengers

Captain
Muster Stunt Master Stones River / Franklin 2022
Well it looks like a "CW Stops on a Work Trip 2" may happen in the next couple of weeks, (civilwartalk.com/threads/cw-stops-on-a-work-trip.160306/) and quarantine lockdowns be d**ned! Couldn't come at a better time as life has been a real drama filled pain here lately and I need a change of scenery.

It looks like the destination this time may be Greenville, Mississippi and I have no idea what CW sites may be around there to see. If I'm going that way I hope to take everyone on a guided tour as best as time allows of a few Camden Expedition sites. I may not go that way, I may end up heading northwards towards Cane Hill, Arkansas instead, which if that happens I'll probably try to take the time and do a guided tour of that 20 mile long battlefield.

Won't be a four State expedition, but its a welcome change of pace. Also another "CW work stop trip" towards Kentucky may happen in a few months, depending on what happens with this virus mess. Comparatively sparsely populated areas are an unfortunate fact of life for this right now.

Any suggestions on the Greenville area, I wanna hear them!

Well it looks like a "CW Stops on a Work Trip 2" may happen in the next couple of weeks, (civilwartalk.com/threads/cw-stops-on-a-work-trip.160306/) and quarantine lockdowns be d**ned! Couldn't come at a better time as life has been a real drama filled pain here lately and I need a change of scenery.

It looks like the destination this time may be Greenville, Mississippi and I have no idea what CW sites may be around there to see. If I'm going that way I hope to take everyone on a guided tour as best as time allows of a few Camden Expedition sites. I may not go that way, I may end up heading northwards towards Cane Hill, Arkansas instead, which if that happens I'll probably try to take the time and do a guided tour of that 20 mile long battlefield.

Won't be a four State expedition, but its a welcome change of pace. Also another "CW work stop trip" towards Kentucky may happen in a few months, depending on what happens with this virus mess. Comparatively sparsely populated areas are an unfortunate fact of life for this right now.

Any suggestions on the Greenville area, I wanna hear them!
I would certainly visit Greenville Cemetery. No telling what/who you might find there.

I'd keep going 52.5 miles further east and go to Greenwood,MS.

I would certainly visit Greenville Cemetery. No telling what/who you might find there.

I'd keep going 52.5 miles further east and go to Greenwood,MS.

Greenwood never entered my mind, I may have to see if I can go see Fort Pemberton. I know we got a stop in Hamburg, Arkansas to go hunting for a grave or two in its cemetery.

Battle of Ditch Bayou Site in Lake Village Arkansas, just across the river from Greenville. Nothing elaborate there but a nice quiet place.

That actually hadn't occurred to me, glad you brought it up! Which reminds me, I've got an old 80's vintage Civil War Times issue with an article on that battle I need to hunt up. Pretty funny actually, the boss and friend I'm driving on this trip gave that issue to me!

Depending on your route to get there and back again, you could plan in a stop for the Red River Campaign, like the Mansfield battlefield for example. Not sure what's there to see, just saw on the map that it's between Greenville and Texas.

Louisiana won't be on the itinerary at all I'm afraid, (well maybe a little), but Mansfield is a place I've spent a lot of time at, and a long ways out of the way.

Since Louisiana has been mentioned, I think I'll share that I have a shenanigan in mind I think folks might enjoy. Nothing as audacious as my apparently now famous "Charge up Thayer's Approach" but I think it would be an appropriate stunt for me to pull on a work trip.

I conquered Thayer's Approach, I think everyone will enjoy my next target.

This is all if Greenville, Mississippi ends up the destination, if I head to NW Arkansas again, the shenanigan won't happen. But if I hit both places, (God that drive hauling antique tractors will kill me), I might go east first.

I scrolled just through the A's on the FindAGrave page for Greenville Cemetery and found 4-5 Confederate veterans buried there and I know one Union Medal Of Honor winner is buried there. I know I'll pay a visit to that cemetery if I ever travel to Greenville.

Well... Greenville didn't happen for me. Long story, BUT.

In the next ten days I may head north to St. Louis. Specifically north from Little Rock towards there, and maybe get into a Tennessee on a different work trip chasing junk.

Though Greenville may happen again in a few weeks.

Let me hear what all y'all think. I personally hope the part of Tennessee we go through may be near Fort Pillow. Also in St. Louis, I like the idea of stopping by the Missouri CW museum. Provided it ain't closed...

Also Pilot Knob...

Okay been over the route, probably gonna leave this weekend. I'm planning on a stop at Fort Pillow as we're picking up an International Harvester near there in Trenton, TN. I also plan on a personal stop in Union City to by DGW for a book as their just about the only folks who seem to have a certain book I want/think I need for some reason.

After that heading North to St. Louis, and maybe try to stop by the Missouri CW Museum if they're open.

Planning on a "CW Stops on Work Trip 2" thread, and maybe a separate photo tour of Fort Pillow thread.

Since Louisiana has been mentioned, I think I'll share that I have a shenanigan in mind I think folks might enjoy. Nothing as audacious as my apparently now famous "Charge up Thayer's Approach" but I think it would be an appropriate stunt for me to pull on a work trip.

I conquered Thayer's Approach, I think everyone will enjoy my next target.

This is all if Greenville, Mississippi ends up the destination, if I head to NW Arkansas again, the shenanigan won't happen. But if I hit both places, (God that drive hauling antique tractors will kill me), I might go east first.
I eagerly look forward to a PR muster and see how you do rock climbing

BTW Pilot Knob quite a bit out of your way, would take prob round adding half a day to do and see, with the time out of the way.

The Missouri civil war museum worth seeing probally, its not as grand as it sounds, but will get you to see Jefferson Barrack grounds as well. And the cemetery https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/jeffersonbarracks.asp

If dont do Pilot Knob go see Grant/Dent Whitehaven while in STL. Not far from Jefferson Barracks and museum.

BTW Pilot Knob quite a bit out of your way, would take prob round adding half a day to do and see, with the time out of the way.

The Missouri civil war museum worth seeing probally, its not as grand as it sounds, but will get you to see Jefferson Barrack grounds as well. And the cemetery https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/jeffersonbarracks.asp

If dont do Pilot Knob go see Grant/Dent Whitehaven while in STL. Not far from Jefferson Barracks and museum.

I'm trying to fit Pilot Knob in somehow, but I don't see it happening. The plan is to leave Texas one morning and be back late the next night, and sadly Pilot Knob looks a little to far west of the route. If even a mile closer I'd try for it, and may still look for a way, but I don't see it. Just my roaming habits at Fort Pillow will put us a little behind.

As for the museum, I wasn't real excited to go looking at the pictures, but I spotted an interesting Confederate frock coat I really want to see and ask for a data worksheet on if they have them.

I would be super eager and drooling at the prospect of stopping by Island No. 10, but it don't exist anymore.

The New Madrid historical museum is supposed to have an interesting collection and exhibits on the campaign, haven't been there though, the Hunter-Dawson house is a period house that may have been John Popes HQ for a period during seige, the only other thing close to your route is the remaints of Fort D at Cape Girardeau.

Pilot knob is an good example of surviving earthworks, and once you see it, it's easy to see why Price thought he would take it. But honestly I think you'd want close to 2 hours to see museum and walk the works, and it would be least another hour out of each way to get there and BK to main route.

Back