lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1546485115504.png

November 20, 1864. "....Dr. [Wallace William] Estill, an assistant surgeon in the Bragg Hospital, died lately. He was in his seventy-fifth year, and a most princely-looking man. He was attended by his bosom friends, Drs. Cross and Hughes, who resorted to every means that experienced skill could bring to bear to restore him to health and usefulness, but all in vain; he sank under his disease, and departed this life beloved and regretted by all who knew him."*

Estill was born 12 Feb 1789 at Monroe County, WV. He died 9 November 1864 while serving at the Bragg CS Hospital, then located at Americus, GA.**

As reported by nurse Cumming, he was attended by the surgeons of the hospitals, including Dr. William C. Cross (surgeon in charge of the Bragg Hospital, my 2x great grandfather ) and Dr. James N. Hughes (surgeon in charge of the Foard Hospital.)

Among the papers of my 2x great grandfather, Dr. Cross, is this note, hastily written on a ragged piece of paper and dated October 14, 1864 -- about 3 weeks before Dr. Estill's death.

Need some help to Decipher Handwriting
I have deciphered most of it, but need some help with a few words. (The underlined sections are underlined in the original.)

Notes from Dr. Estill’s request at his bed side on Oct’r 14th 1864, Tell? W Collier I want him to act as my Executor or administrator in place of my son whom I made & is now dec’d. First pay yourself all that I may be indebted and divide the remainder of my effects equally between my children, share and share alike. 2nd my watch I wish given to one of my daughters the one that has not one ? My gold headed cane? to my son Henry & also my specks. My surgical Instruments and Library, ______? I have previously made a will but my executor and son is dec'd?
1546486718463.png

I need help with the last line is written sideways. So here it is rotated.
1546487135269.png

1546487279532.png

*A Journal of Hospital Life in the Confederate Army of Tennessee. Kate Cumming. William Evelyn, publisher; John P. Morton & Co., publisher, 1866. pages 152-153.
1546484744666.png

** FindAGrave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/25599327#view-photo=16185385

@AndyHall @Jimklag @JAGwinn @Arioch @treebie2000 can you guys help with this one? Thanks in advance.

1546487000339.png

Last edited:
I'm not much help here, @lelliott19, but I think the word that looks like "Life" may actually be "Tell." I think your reading of the last line, about the earlier will and his deceased son is correct. I'm still trying to decipher the others.
Do you think the item he wills to his son might be "my _____ headed cane to my son Henry & also my specks."

Last edited:
I'm not much help here, @lelliott19, but I think the word that looks like "Life" may actually be "Tell." I think your reading of the last line, about the earlier will and his deceased son is correct. I'm still trying to decipher the others.
I agree. Definitely “Tell”. I saw in the obit that his son in law was Col. Colyer, and I think the scribe misspelled it as Collier at bedside.
I also concur on the interpretation of the last line, and I had “headed” figured out but was struggling for context. Cane makes sense there, as that would be a very personal item that a son would probably cherish.
Still looking.

Cane makes sense there, as that would be a very personal item that a son would probably cherish.
Thanks. Im assuming that all he had was in his possession. Kate Cumming said: "his home in the hands of the enemy and his invalid wife was turned outdoors, and has since died." Indeed, she died in March 1864. So Im guessing that anything that was at the house was gone. So the personal items he had on him, would have been the items he was willing to the children.

Back