Transcription help for Francis Lee's report on 'Torch'

JohnDLittlefield

Sergeant
Hi All,
I need a little help (again) with the last two pages (0f 74) of an 1863 report written by Francis Lee. These two pages pertain to the torpedo ram (Torch) and info within may be of interest to some of you.
I am including a pdf of the two pages of which I need help and a pdf of the current transcription effort.
I would really appreciate any help, suggestions, or corrections you might supply.

Attachments

• Appendix H- pp73-74 Lee report.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 246
  • Transcription- Appendix H- pp73-74 Lee report.pdf
    46.1 KB · Views: 265
I would guess, for the 4th paragraph, "render" [the frames of the boat]. In the 3rd paragraph, there is a dependent clause; I think it is "Naval Constructor Porter who was sent ... "

Last edited:
Appendix ‘H’ Charleston May 1st 1863 Cmg Genl Thomas Jordan Chief of Staff General! I am just in receipt of the accompanying copy of a communication from the Hon Sec of the Navy to Commander John R Tucker C.S.Naval FORCES afloat at Charleston The Hon Sec of the Navy says that he “turned over to the Army not only the boat, but the Engine built for her” Naval Construction PORTER WHO WAS [were] sent to Charleston to fulfill any requirements for the construction of the Torpedo Ram, instructed me to make use of the unfinished frame of a Gun boat commenced over one year before by Mr Jones (Ship builder) and afterwards abandoned. Constructor Porter at the SAME TIME [tim]__ stated that two Engines with one boiler suitable to the boat would be delivered to me. To RENDER the frames of the boat of any use whatsoever it was necessary to alter and strengthen it at a cost nearly equivalent to building a new one. THIS [Tis] was paid for by funds appropriated by the state OF [o] So Ca In place of sending two Engines and a boiler the Navy Department delivered to a special AGENT [object]sent by ME to Richmond Only one Engine and no boiler. The Engine is now ready for redelivery to the Navy Dept whenever required, it having proved only an [p.74] Expense and Encumberance. An Engine of more than double the power of the one sent by the Navy Dept was purchased by me in Savannah at the Expense of the State and is now in the vessel The deductions arrived at by the Hon Secretary of the Navy AS to the speed of the boat are therefore incorrect, having been drawn from incorrect premises. I have the honor to be Genl Very Rspy tr Obt svt Francis D Lee Cpar Engrs NB_ With the exception of a few times of _???__ I have received nothing from the Navy Dept for the Construction of the Torpedo Ram

Hello Gentlemen,

Excellent work Connecticut Yankee and Dave. So it seems the Torch was a definite CS Army vessel with substantial costs borne by the state of South Carolina. Granted, the CS Navy approved the plan, offered an incomplete vessel, but had nothing to do with her actual construction or operation. I wonder who Mallory had to assess the vessel's potential performance that so annoyed F. Lee. John, where is the original 74 page report located?

All the best,
Bil

Thank you all. Excellent! After reading the added words they all seem so obvious, but clearly eluded me at the time of transcription.

@Bil R, Lee alluded to most of these details in various places, but this report really spells things out clearly. There is a ton of repetition, so it's not exactly concise. He never actually names the assessors assigned by Mallory in any reference I have found thus far.
The original report is unpublished and I am working on doing just that, so I hesitate to make it pubic just yet. However, I'm not sure if that's the proper reply in this situation. Thoughts/suggestions???

Thank you all. Excellent! After reading the added words they all seem so obvious, but clearly eluded me at the time of transcription.

@Bil R, Lee alluded to most of these details in various places, but this report really spells things out clearly. There is a ton of repetition, so it's not exactly concise. He never actually names the assessors assigned by Mallory in any reference I have found thus far.
The original report is unpublished and I am working on doing just that, so I hesitate to make it pubic just yet. However, I'm not sure if that's the proper reply in this situation. Thoughts/suggestions???
You lot all beat me to it, I hadn't had a chance to look at the piece before you all got there . Well done. I'm sorry John I can't make any helpful suggestions at the moment as to who the Mallory's assessors were, unless he sent Porter back to Charleston again, which is unlikely.

I'm sorry John I can't make any helpful suggestions at the moment as to who the Mallory's assessors were, unless he sent Porter back to Charleston again, which is unlikely.
No worries. The assessors were in Richmond looking Lee's drawings, drawings that were modified from the original Marine Ram- that got bastardized into Torch, before Lee arrived in Richmond. I expect Porter was one of them.

So it seems the Torch was a definite CS Army vessel with substantial costs borne by the state of South Carolina. Granted, the CS Navy approved the plan, offered an incomplete vessel, but had nothing to do with her actual construction or operation.

Wow - how clear is that?!? An incomplete CSN vessel, now funded by the State, turned over to the CSA for completion and operations...how much more convoluted can we make this? In Bil R's post, we see a microcosm of the Confederate National Command and Control system on things of macro importance. No clear over-arching final-say, chain of command. How much did this hinder their war efforts?

"...but at least my state's rights are intact, observed, and respected..." as the smoke from Sherman's approach appears on the horizon and masts of 100 ships looms out of the mists...

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Last edited:
No worries. The assessors were in Richmond looking Lee's drawings, drawings that were modified from the original Marine Ram- that got bastardized into Torch, before Lee arrived in Richmond. I expect Porter was one of them.
If they were in Richmond, I guess Porter would be the lead, I'd guess at William Graves, Certainly Hunter Davidson, possibly Chief Carpenter James Meads ( not sure if he had become acting constructor by then).

Wow - how clear is that?!? An incomplete CSN vessel, now funded by the State, turned over to the CSA for completion and operations...how much more convoluted can we make this? In Bil R's post, we see a microcosm of the Confederate National Command and Control system on things of macro importance. No clear over-arching final-say, chain of command. How much did this hinder their war efforts? "...but at least my state's rights are intact..." as the smoke from Sherman's approach appears on the horizon and masts of 100 ships looms out of the mists...

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Internal dissension between CSA & CSN and between constructors didn't help either. Hindsight says that Mallory should have knocked heads and so should Jeff Davis.

N
Wow - how clear is that?!? An incomplete CSN vessel, now funded by the State, turned over to the CSA for completion and operations...how much more convoluted can we make this? In Bil R's post, we see a microcosm of the Confederate National Command and Control system on things of macro importance. No clear over-arching final-say, chain of command. How much did this hinder their war efforts? "...but at least my state's rights are intact..." as the smoke from Sherman's approach appears on the horizon and masts of 100 ships looms out of the mists...

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
Now to throw a monkey wrench into all this... I've known for several years that Captain James Carlin tried to purchase the Marine Ram and that he was the commander fo Torch's one and only mission. According to one entry in this report, Carlin appears to have actually purchased the vessel, although it's not clear from which entity (S.C., CSN, Lee, ???).

Hello Gentlemen,

Yes, Confederate high command needed someone to frequently 'knock heads'. Cooperation is difficult enough in daily matters (ask my wife :smile:, imagine the challenge of limited resources, constant pressure and truly life and death situations. It seems that the winning side in most conflicts is not always the one with the most strength, but the one with the least internal dissension.

Now, what were Carlin's intentions with the Torch? He was a successful runner, what did he see in a small, cramped, leaking steamer with unreliable machinery? John, I think we all are looking forward to your publication. The history of the world's first purpose built torpedo boat is bound to be a compelling read.

All the best,
Bil

Now, what were Carlin's intentions with the Torch? He was a successful runner, what did he see in a small, cramped, leaking steamer with unreliable machinery?

Like Clint Eastwood in 'A Fist Full of Dollars', maybe Carlin saw an economic opportunity in the confused leadership relationships. Rent it out one day to the CSN, the next mission to the State, next Op to the CSA...a time-share situation. Sell the same item to multiple buyers. :wink:

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Back