Trans-Mississipi civil war site trip planning - need a bit of help.

Hardtack Mack

Private
For a future civil war site trip, I wanted to visit the sites west of the Mississippi i.e Missouri, Arkansas, Eastern Kansas (?), Eastern Oklahoma (?), Louisiana. My itinerary so far was:

• Fort "D", Cape Girardeau
  • Fort Davidson/Pilot Knob
  • Wilson's Creek
  • Pea Ridge
  • Prairie Grove
  • Honey Springs
  • Mansfield
  • Baton Rouge
  • Port Hudson
What I'd like to ask is if I am missing any of the larger sites? I have my favorite travelling companion with me AKA my wife and I don't want to bore her by stopping at sites that are just an interpretive sign at the side of the road.

Last edited:
gallonhempbales.jpg

Perhaps the Battle of Hemp Bales aka Battle of Lexington, Missouri (September 18-20, 1861). Its been years since I have been there but there is the Anderson House, earthworks, 5 Union Soldiers buried there and the cannonball in the courthouse column.

1534074-L.jpg

If you're a fan of Price's raid I would consider adding Westport and Newtonia as well as Fort Scott to the list. I'm jealous, you're doing the trip I want to do someday.

My wife was already whining - "Why do you want to take us to Tornado Alley?". "Civil War sites, of course, m'love", I replied.

She didn't appreciate that reply. :D

I'm very blessed to have a job with plenty of paid time off. I take a long vacation each April (our anniversary), and a longer one in September (my birthday). We occasionally sandwich a short one in June for her birthday if she feels like going somewhere.

Thanks for the advice, Mal. I'll look into those places.

When you plan your trip make note that the Louisiana sites are closed on Sundays. Most of the fighting at Baton Rouge occurred on the grounds of the Magnolia Cemetery and the adjacent Baton Rouge National Cemetery. There is not a battlefield park in the usual sense of the word.

gallonhempbales.jpg

Pps the Battle of Hemp Bales aka Battle of Lexington, Missouri (September 18-20, 1861). Its been years since I have been there but there is the Anderson House, earthworks, 5 Union Soldiers buried there and the cannonball in the courthouse column.

1534074-L.jpg

I absolutely enjoyed this ACW battlefield! I toured this venue in 2012 before I headed westbound to tour the Battle of Westport. The sites in Kansas City, Missouri were awesome!

For a future civil war site trip, I wanted to visit the sites west of the Mississippi i.e Missouri, Arkansas, Eastern Kansas (?), Eastern Oklahoma (?), Louisiana. My itinerary so far was:

• Fort "D", Cape Girardeau
  • Fort Davidson/Pilot Knob
  • Wilson's Creek
  • Pea Ridge
  • Prairie Grove
  • Honey Springs
  • Mansfield
  • Baton Rouge
  • Port Hudson
What I'd like to ask is if I am missing any of the larger sites? I have my favorite travelling companion with me AKA my wife and I don't want to bore her by stopping at sites that are just an interpretive sign at the side of the road.

So, you're taking her to New Orleans surely, to see the Customs House, the Mint, find a ceramic article with Butler's face?

And you can tell her that you're stopping at Oak Alley and Destrehan Plantations so that you can both understand what the sugar cane planters were fighting for. :D

gallonhempbales.jpg

Perhaps the Battle of Hemp Bales aka Battle of Lexington, Missouri (September 18-20, 1861). Its been years since I have been there but there is the Anderson House, earthworks, 5 Union Soldiers buried there and the cannonball in the courthouse column.

1534074-L.jpg
Yes, indeed, see Lexington! On your way to Lexington you will probably drive through Higginsville, MO. It's about mid way between Lexington and Interstate 70. Take time to visit the Confederate State Historic Site there (just off Hwy. 20) and see the cemetery at the old Confederate soldier's home. It will be a remarkably moving experience.

So, you're taking her to New Orleans surely, to see the Customs House, the Mint, find a ceramic article with Butler's face?

And you can tell her that you're stopping at Oak Alley and Destrehan Plantations so that you can both understand what the sugar cane planters were fighting for. :D

Oh heck no. I couldn't get close to New Orleans. I can already imagine her telling me we're going to get drowned in a hurricane or something :bounce: or complaining about the oil from the rig disaster 4 years ago .:banghead:

Back