Traditional Christmas Drinks

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
From "Merrie Old England" the traditional Christmas drink was "the Wassail Bowl". It was made with ale and cream boiled with cloves. A modern recipe is:

3 quarts cider
1 quart unsweetened pineapple juice
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 sticks cinnamon, broken
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
small pieces of lemon peel
crab apples, fresh or spiced
2 oranges

Combine all ingredients except crab apples and oranges. Bring to a boil; simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Strain into preheated punch bowl ( rinsed with hot water 0 and decorate with floating crab apples and orange wedges stuck with whole cloves. Serve hot in mugs or punch cups. Makes 4 quarts or 40 punch cups.

This is a wonderful drink for a Caroling Party.

Julglogg, a traditional drink from Sweden

1 bottle port wine
1 bottle Burgundy wine
1 bottle aquavit (or pint of brandy)
3/4 cup small seedless raisins
2 or 3 pieces stick cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 dozen cardamom seeds
small piece of lemon peel
sugar
unsalted almonds

In a large kettle, heat wine, aquavit (or brandy) with raisins. Simmer 20 minutes with a cheesecloth containing cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and lemon peel. Add sugar to taste (up to one cup). Serve glogg steaming hot in preheated punch cups or mugs, each containing 2 almonds and a few raisins.

Julglogg, a traditional drink from Sweden

1 bottle port wine
1 bottle Burgundy wine
1 bottle aquavit (or pint of brandy)
3/4 cup small seedless raisins
2 or 3 pieces stick cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 dozen cardamom seeds
small piece of lemon peel
sugar
unsalted almonds

In a large kettle, heat wine, aquavit (or brandy) with raisins. Simmer 20 minutes with a cheesecloth containing cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and lemon peel. Add sugar to taste (up to one cup). Serve glogg steaming hot in preheated punch cups or mugs, each containing 2 almonds and a few raisins.
This one is different, I would like to try it.soundsreally good on a brisk night or day.

These all sound great! Though I don't think we'll need to stay warm and bright anytime soon in the northeast. :wink: I feel as though I moved south for the winter without leaving NYC. However, a nice light almost summery drink is sangria which happens to have Christmas version my friend Tara concocted last holiday season. Its quite refreshing and unique. Cheers!

Christmas Sangria

Serves 10 to 12 drinks

Ingredients:

• 2 bottles Pinot Grigio
  • 3/4 cup sparkling apple cider
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cranberries, halved
  • 3/4 cup cranberries, whole
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and stir together with a large wooden spoon to help the sugar dissolve. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Serve chilled or over ice.

Too much alcohol for this teetotaler...and the only non-alcoholic item on the list has crabapples, which I don't think i can even *find* this far South.... :nah disagree:

Oh no! You could substitute white grape juice for the pinot grigio perhaps, but then you wouldn't need the 1/4 cup of sugar. I didn't know they don't have cranberries further South :frown: I've made punch without alcohol, I'll dig around for that recipe and revert back to the thread.

Edit -

Sparkling Cranberry Punch (no fresh cranberries needed!)

Ingredients -
  • 16 ozs cranberry sauce (jellied, Ocean Spray)
  • 21/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 11/2 cups ginger ale
  • 1 lemon (thinly sliced, & clove-studded with, optional)
  • clove (optional)
  • fresh mint (garnish)
Directions - http://www.food.com/recipe/sparkling-cranberry-punch-228241

Last edited:
Non Alcoholic Drink

Hot Cranberry Punch

4 pints cranberry juice cocktail
1 6-ounce cans frozen lemonade, undiluted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
4 cups water
15 3 inch pieces cinnamon

Combine all ingredients except cinnamon. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes; do not boil. Serve hot in mugs, using cinnamon sticks as stirrers.

Makes 15 1 cup servings.

Non Alcoholic Drink

Hot Cranberry Punch

4 pints cranberry juice cocktail
1 6-ounce cans frozen lemonade, undiluted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
4 cups water
15 3 inch pieces cinnamon

Combine all ingredients except cinnamon. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes; do not boil. Serve hot in mugs, using cinnamon sticks as stirrers.

Makes 15 1 cup servings.

Ooo! This sounds good, too! I think most fruit punch recipes at this time of year all seem to call for cranberries. They must think we all still have leftover ones from Thanksgiving! :wink:

Non Alcoholic Drink

Hot Mulled Cider

1 quart cider
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup pineapple juice
6 whole cloves
4 sticks cinnamon
3 cups orange juice

Heat cider with cinnamon and cloves for 15 minutes. Remove spices and add other ingredients. Reheat. Put 1 teaspoon butter in each mug and add hot liquid. Garnish with orange slices.

Mexican Hot Chocolate

This is a wonderful drink for a Tree-Trimming party for the entire family.

4 cups milk
2 3 inch long cinnamon sticks broken in half
30 white cloves
1 teaspoon aniseed
5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar

In a large heavy saucepan, over medium heat, bring the milk, cinnamon, cloves, and aniseed to a simmer. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until the chocolate melts. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 45 minutes. This serves four.

Fish House Punch

This is Colonial America's most legendary drink. It was invented by members of the Fish House Club founded in Philadelphia in 1732. The 36 original members further enhanced its mystery by making succeeding generations keep the recipe a secret for almost 200 years.

This recipe was found in cookbook I have called "Nights Before Christmas Cookbook". It is not copyrighted. It was published by the Visitors Council of Madison, Indiana in connection with the Christmas Tour of historic homes.

Fish House Punch

1 cup light brown sugar, packed
9 lemons
2 cups pineapple juice
1 fifth dark rum
1/2 fifth cognac
4 tablespoons peach brandy

Mix sugar and 4 cups water in a pan and boil 5 minutes. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and pour into the hot syrup. Add the lemon rinds. Cool syrup and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, remove the lemon rinds. Add the pineapple juice and liquors. Pack a large punch bowl with crushed ice. Pour the punch over the ice and serve.

Season's Greetings Punch

3 quarts pineapple juice
2 cans ( 6 ounces each) frozen limeade concentrate
2 liters ginger ale
2 pints strawberry sorbet
chunks strawberries, pineapple and orange slices for garnish

Combine pineapple juice and limeade concentrate into punch bowl. Just before serving add ginger ale and scoops of sorbet. Garnish with strawberries, pineapple and orange chunks.

This is a delicious and very festive punch for your Holiday Party.

No wonder my Fantasy Football team sucks.
Instead of looking for the perfect matchup for my Wide Receivers, I'm looking up...copying/pasting...printing....
.....of all things...festive Holiday concoctions.
You evil Civil War people have done it to me again.
You dangle these shiny baubles in front of me, and off I wander.....Holiday concoctions indeed.
Good Grief.
Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Back